• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide on a 308

poke5353

Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Central Arkansas
I am looking to buy a AR style 308. I am considering Larue, LWRC, and GAP. But I cant decide. I want to hear testimonials from actual use. I just cant decide what I want. I am ready to buy and I have patience so waiting is not an issue. Thanks in advance

Re: Help me decide on a 308

You are going to get mixed opinions on which of the three are better, but they are all great and you won't go wrong with any of those three

by a GAP. The quality s unsurpassed and they will custom tailor it to your exact specifications.

And the other reason to choose GAP is they are a long term sponsor that has supported the Hide and shooting community for years. When was the last time you've seen Larue or LWRC or others contribute and help here?

I expect mixed reviews but I would like to stay away from a pissing contest. Just would like people to comment their own personal experience.

Can't speak for Larue, JP, LMT, Les Baer, LWRC, ect. GAP10 is very well put together and in the right hands it is a tack-driver. Function and fit is flawless....

gap10-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">by a GAP. The quality s unsurpassed and they will custom tailor it to your exact specifications.

And the other reason to choose GAP is they are a long term sponsor that has supported the Hide and shooting community for years. When was the last time you've seen Larue or LWRC or others contribute and help here? </div></div>

^^ 'nuff said!! ^^

But just to add...you can't compare a "factory" production rifle (at least those from Larue, LWRC, etc.) to the kind of quality that you receive from a custom shop like GAP in a custom rifle like the GAP-10. Do it right...do it once...be done with it with the GAP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't speak for Larue, JP, LMT, Les Baer, LWRC, ect. GAP10 is very well put together and in the right hands it is a tack-driver. Function and fit is flawless....

gap10-2.jpg

</div></div>

NF 56mm or 50mm obj?
BO XHigh rings?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF 56mm or 50mm obj?
BO XHigh rings? </div></div>

I believe he (m14er) indicated in the GAP-10 thread that it was a 3.5-15x50.

I think that the sunshade and the fact that it sits nice and low in the relief on the POF rail makes it look like the big brother 56mm.

This statement is correct. NF NXS 3.5-15x50<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF 56mm or 50mm obj?

I think that the sunshade and the fact that it sits nice and low in the relief on the POF rail makes it look like the big brother 56mm. </div></div>

If you're not a tool phobe then you can build your own as well. It won't compare to a rifle from a builder like GAP though.

FWIW I've used a GAP and an LWRC and the GAP was a better rifle. LWRC is a thousand dollars overpriced for what you get.

I have a line on a LWRC REPR with a Leupold MK4 1-4 for about $3400. Just trying to figure it out. I dont need the scope but it seems like a pretty good deal. The GAP I would build would run me $3180 after the surefire break, fluting, and PRS stock. I am also looking at a Noveske for around $2300. Are these pretty fair prices?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poke53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a line on a LWRC REPR with a Leupold MK4 1-4 for about $3400. Just trying to figure it out. I dont need the scope but it seems like a pretty good deal. The GAP I would build would run me $3180 after the surefire break, fluting, and PRS stock. I am also looking at a Noveske for around $2300. Are these pretty fair prices?</div></div>

No. As BCP stated, the LWRC is overpriced for what you get. As others have stated, get a GAP and if you would rather have a gas-piston setup, get a POF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poke53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a line on a LWRC REPR with a Leupold MK4 1-4 for about $3400.</div></div>

If the REPR is what you want then there you go. Sell the leupie and put the money towards an optic more to your liking.

I can tell you right now that the REPR won't be quite as accurate as the GAP but it will still shoot well.

edit: I still wouldn't buy the REPR but it's your $$$ so your choice...

I am kind of a gun whore so i dont know how long I will be keeping the rifle. Sounds like I need a GAP though. I would just hate to wait longer for the rifle to come in compared to how long I will actually own the rifle. Thanks for the posts keep em coming.

Ugh, I hate to do it... I know Larue doesn't support the Hide, but there were 3 guys shooting the OBR last month at the 3milsright shoot in TX and 40 guys wanting one when it was over.

When you're talking $3K+ its worth taking a harder look at rather than passing it up because of not being a sponsor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This statement is correct. NF NXS 3.5-15x50<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF 56mm or 50mm obj?

I think that the sunshade and the fact that it sits nice and low in the relief on the POF rail makes it look like the big brother 56mm. </div></div></div></div>

It's a good fit!

You might want to look at the Knights Mark 11 Mod 0 or Mark 11 Mod 1 series.. Not cheap, but worth a hard look.

I've had my REPR for roughly 8 months. Not one issue to date with it and has performed MOA with 168's SMK and sub MOA with 175's and 178's (1:10). The side charging handle is unique and offers many nice features over the traditional T handle (no gas to the face shooting suppressed, check weld not affected and offers an overall easy motor function to clear a FTF). The four way gas selector offers the bolt action mode "C" which is nice when you wanna work it like a bolt and a quick switch to "N" lets it eat whatever's in the lunch box. The controls are ambidextrous and the fit and finish is perfect. Over priced some will say but if you're looking to add an AR 10 with more unique features then any other 7.62 to the arsenal... here it is. I want nothing more than a 16" (or possibly a 12" with a can) if I can part with my 20" to allow more of run and gun set up. I've shot a POF 415 and was not impressed with the piston systems (functioned fine but I could hear the op rod floating around upon raising and lowering the rifle...plus I HATE POF's rail system ) compared to my M6A3. I think the Larue would be my next choice and perhaps the LMT MWS or GAP if the REPR was not an option.

LWRC warranty and CS is second to none (bold and zesty comment... haha I know the listed builders all back there product)

I wanted to show the beauty of a piston set up... pics speak for themselves (300 rds)
8x0zgz.jpg

33mqrup.jpg

i1l1k6.jpg

my 2 cents

Love, love, love my OBR. My buddies love their OBR's. GAP-10 is a little less expensive and I have buddies that love theirs. I say it's a toss up. LMT would also be in my "three .308's I would be very happy with."

Can't speak to the machining on all the components on the GAP build (cause I have not inspected one closely), but I was really impressed with the OBR's.

I do have an itch for the GAP in .260 though.

Suppressed/unsuppressed selector is nice on OBR.
GAP-10's aesthetics are really nice.
OBR is made in Texas, just like me.
George and Moon are righteous dudes.

Can't go wrong either way.

What about a PWS MK214 or MK216?

Nice long-stroke piston system, at what seems to be a very fair price.

Plus, from everything I've heard their 5.56's are amazing.

Worth a look don't you think?

Here's the most important question: what do you want to do with it? You listed some outstanding weapons as choices, but they're not exactly on the light side (~11-14 lb fully loaded). Knowing your intended use/requirements might be useful for the best advice on your choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XanderZuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about a PWS MK214 or MK216?</div></div>

Trying to decide too and wondered about MK216 as well. Talked to PWS yesterday and they are definitely in the running. But, the others are just as much.

Leaning to towards the GAP though purely from the customization standpoint & least proprietary nature and the LMT MWS for the barrel swapping option. Oh, and the OBR 'cause it's just bad-a$$.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nra-life-member</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to look at the Knights Mark 11 Mod 0 or Mark 11 Mod 1 series.. Not cheap, but worth a hard look.</div></div>

Don't look at Knight's. They're overpriced and underperformed. They're like Larue in the fact they're trying to rest on their name rather than an actual quality product. GAP is a much better option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nra-life-member</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to look at the Knights Mark 11 Mod 0 or Mark 11 Mod 1 series.. Not cheap, but worth a hard look.</div></div>

Don't look at Knight's. They're overpriced and underperformed. They're like Larue in the fact they're trying to rest on their name rather than an actual quality product. GAP is a much better option.</div></div>

Thank you, Mike. I have never understood the hype over Knights Armament and personally, I don't care for Larue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nra-life-member</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to look at the Knights Mark 11 Mod 0 or Mark 11 Mod 1 series.. Not cheap, but worth a hard look.</div></div>

Don't look at Knight's. They're overpriced and underperformed. They're like Larue in the fact they're trying to rest on their name rather than an actual quality product. GAP is a much better option. </div></div>

I'd tend agree with the Knights comment, care to elaborate on how LaRue is resting on their name and not producing a quality rifle? They may not be liked or a sponsor here but comments like that are pure BS and only made to incite a riot. Get real. The OBR and GAP-10 are the two best AR-10 style rifles made today. Any argument against either is purely politically based, not performance based.

I have the 16" OBR and love it, I did factory tour at LWRC and shot both 12" and 20" REPR great shooting rifle. LaRue rifles are made in house which for me was a big plus. Its clear that on this forum GAP has a big push (with very nice bolt rifles).

OBR001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bglimpse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nra-life-member</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might want to look at the Knights Mark 11 Mod 0 or Mark 11 Mod 1 series.. Not cheap, but worth a hard look.</div></div>

Don't look at Knight's. They're overpriced and underperformed. They're like Larue in the fact they're trying to rest on their name rather than an actual quality product. GAP is a much better option. </div></div>

I'd tend agree with the Knights comment, care to elaborate on how LaRue is resting on their name and not producing a quality rifle? They may not be liked or a sponsor here but comments like that are pure BS and only made to incite a riot. Get real. <span style="font-weight: bold">The OBR and GAP-10 are the two best AR-10 style rifles made today. Any argument against either is purely politically based, not performance based.</span></div></div>

You're full of shit.

I and many others can attest to the fact that Mike is more than qualified to make that statement. What makes the OBR any better than a POF or an LWRC? Tell me how <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> argument isn't politically based and only based purely on fact.

Have you shot them all and if you have;

How many rounds and at what ranges?
What ammo did you use?
What distance did you take the rifles out to?
How long ago was it that you had the opportunity to research the performance of all three platforms (LWRC, OBR, POF)?

Look, no need to get butt hurt over this. I didn't call your POF ugly. Being in the industry, I've owned nearly everything and if I haven't owned it, I've shot it. My comments are based on what I have seen, done or from people I know that speak the truth. You yourself self you "personally" don't like LaRue, ya that isn't biased..

I have owned POF, LWRC, LaRue plus a PWS - all in .308/7.62x51. There isn't anything wrong with LWRC or POF, but they were not on the same level as my OBR and PredatAR. They were fine guns. I haven't owned, seen or shot a GAP-10 - but I have talked to those who have (people I trust). They seem to great, as is everything that George makes. I could have bought a GAP-10 and been just as happy, hell I wouldn't mind getting one in the future. Everyone I've talked with has stated they are on par (some say better) thank the OBR, hence my opinion that the OBR and GAP-10 are the two best available at the moment. My POF and LWRC were good, but that doesn't mean that many others haven't had issues with them (and they have). Obviously POF can and does make good gear, if they didn't GA wouldn't use them.

What is full of shit, is the perpetual shit talking of LaRue rifles. Who cares if you like the guy, his guns run and they are accurate. It's been proven yet certain people tend to overlook the facts. You guys are quick to label <span style="text-decoration: underline">anyone</span> who has something good to say about LaRue and fanboy yet have no issues jumping into any post that mentions him and talking shit. Forest for the trees...

I merely asked Mike to back up his statements that LaRue is resting on their name and not producing a quality product. Standing by for the facts. I wasn't even being confrontational, well maybe a little
wink.gif

I apologize to the OP, but this bullshit has to come to end sometime. There is enough room on the earth for the OBR and GAP-10. <span style="text-decoration: underline">In my opinion</span>, the others are not quite there yet. Take that with a grain of salt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bglimpse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is full of shit, is the perpetual shit talking of LaRue rifles.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'm curious if you're over at AR15 telling everyone that their shit talking about GAP is "full of shit" too? Or do you only come here to defend Larue?</span>

Who cares if you like the guy, his guns run and they are accurate.

<span style="font-weight: bold">No one claimed their guns are not accurate (although I have heard claims that I find difficult to swallow) or that they don't run. </span>

It's been proven yet certain people tend to overlook the facts.

<span style="font-weight: bold">What are the said "facts"?</span>

You guys are quick to label <span style="text-decoration: underline">anyone</span> who has something good to say about LaRue and fanboy yet have no issues jumping into any post that mentions him and talking shit. Forest for the trees...

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'm waiting for you to state the same thing to the mouth breathers talking shit about GAP on AR15, then we'll address the issues here. Let's be fair, shall we? Or is that too much to ask?</span>

I merely asked Mike to back up his statements that LaRue is resting on their name and not producing a quality product. Standing by for the facts. I wasn't even being confrontational, well maybe a little
wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Just like the other Larue fanboys being confrontational. What "proof" are you attempting to acquire? Are you asking me to put some type of tangible data together or am I not allowed to express my experience-based opinion. Do you remember reading where they called George out for not shooting a Larue yet he OWNS one? I prefer GAP. If you don't, good for you. But I don't have to justify my opinion to you or anyone. If you don't like it, feel free to move on.</span>

I apologize to the OP, but this bullshit has to come to end sometime. There is enough room on the earth for the OBR and GAP-10. <span style="text-decoration: underline">In my opinion</span>, the others are not quite there yet. Take that with a grain of salt.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Again, I"m looking forward to seeing your call for peace in the shit-talking threads on AR15.com</span></div></div>

I fail to understand all this stress over the AR platform. Shooting is a hobby/sport for most of us and nobody's life really depends on it. Whenever the Larue/Gap subject comes up people get riled up to the point that it always seem to end up in the same place- nowhere. I looked long and hard at the OBR but eventually, for my own reasons, decided on the GAP-10 and have never looked back. This, in my mind, is no reason to discount the OBR- I hope to shoot one one day as I hear fantastic things about them. I can only recommend the GAP-10, as my experiences are truly limited. But what the hell do I know anyways??????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m14er</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fail to understand all this stress over the AR platform. Shooting is a hobby/sport for most of us and nobody's life really depends on it. Whenever the Larue/Gap subject comes up people get riled up to the point that it always seem to end up in the same place- nowhere. I looked long and hard at the OBR but eventually, for my own reasons, decided on the GAP-10 and have never looked back. This, in my mind, is no reason to discount the OBR- I hope to shoot one one day as I hear fantastic things about them. I can only recommend the GAP-10, as my experiences are truly limited. But what the hell do I know anyways?????? </div></div>

And you, my friend, made an educated decision based on your needs and your research. You didn't pick solely based on the name on the side of gun. Good choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bglimpse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is full of shit, is the perpetual shit talking of LaRue rifles.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'm curious if you're over at AR15 telling everyone that their shit talking about GAP is "full of shit" too? Or do you only come here to defend Larue?</span>

Who cares if you like the guy, his guns run and they are accurate.

<span style="font-weight: bold">No one claimed their guns are not accurate (although I have heard claims that I find difficult to swallow) or that they don't run. </span>

It's been proven yet certain people tend to overlook the facts.

<span style="font-weight: bold">What are the said "facts"?</span>

You guys are quick to label <span style="text-decoration: underline">anyone</span> who has something good to say about LaRue and fanboy yet have no issues jumping into any post that mentions him and talking shit. Forest for the trees...

<span style="font-weight: bold">I'm waiting for you to state the same thing to the mouth breathers talking shit about GAP on AR15, then we'll address the issues here. Let's be fair, shall we? Or is that too much to ask?</span>

wink.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Just like the other Larue fanboys being confrontational. What "proof" are you attempting to acquire? Are you asking me to put some type of tangible data together or am I not allowed to express my experience-based opinion. Do you remember reading where they called George out for not shooting a Larue yet he OWNS one? I prefer GAP. If you don't, good for you. But I don't have to justify my opinion to you or anyone. If you don't like it, feel free to move on.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Again, I"m looking forward to seeing your call for peace in the shit-talking threads on AR15.com</span></div></div> </div></div>

Look, arguing about this is pointless. You said LaRue is resting on his name and isn't making a quality product. I asked for proof and didn't get any, let's leave it at that.

I can say the only thread I've seen on ARF related back to the GAP-10 thread here. In that thread, most were singing the praises of both LaRue and GAP. I didn't see too much GA bashing, what I did see was a comment from Mark about not knowing George was gonna order an OBR and if he did he would have done some custom laser etching on it. Sounds like there is little to no hard feelings between them.

Last, when I talked about proof of Mark's guns running well I was referring to the competitions they are winning and in some cases beating out bolt guns.

I'd suggest you stay away from ARF, I am nowadays. Too many Seal Team 6 members and 45 y/o guys typing from their mom's basements. I tend to hang out here now, you guys seem to know your shit and actually hit the range..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bglimpse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I'd suggest you stay away from ARF, I am nowadays. Too many Seal Team 6 members and 45 y/o guys typing from their mom's basements. I tend to hang out here now, you guys seem to know your shit and actually hit the range.</span></div></div>

That is the smartest thing you've said all day, especially in this thread. Ha! Just messin' with you.

On a serious note, the POF has been known to beat out bolt rifles in competition as well. Just ask Tony (NOMAD) about that as he was the winner of the 2010 Oregon Sniper Challenge and he did it with a POF rifle.

Am I POF fan-boy? Maybe...but then, maybe not. I wouldn't trade my POF for any other semi-auto platform out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bglimpse</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">I'd suggest you stay away from ARF, I am nowadays. Too many Seal Team 6 members and 45 y/o guys typing from their mom's basements. I tend to hang out here now, you guys seem to know your shit and actually hit the range.</span></div></div>

That is the smartest thing you've said all day, especially in this thread. Ha! Just messin' with you.

On a serious note, the POF has been known to beat out bolt rifles in competition as well. Just ask Tony (NOMAD) about that as he was the winner of the 2010 Oregon Sniper Challenge and he did it with a POF rifle.

Am I POF fan-boy? Maybe...but then, maybe not. I wouldn't trade my POF for any other semi-auto platform out there. </div></div>

smile.gif
Us rifle loonies tend to take this shit too seriously sometimes...I wish I would good enough to shoot one of those competitions, they sound pretty sweet!

Good comments so far other than the pissing contest. I just want a moa gun that will get me out to 600 or so on plates. I have a bolt gun that shoots .3 for everything else. I will plink with the semi auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poke53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good comments so far other than the pissing contest. I just want a moa gun that will get me out to 600 or so on plates. I have a bolt gun that shoots .3 for everything else. I will plink with the semi auto.</div></div>

Any of the aforementioned rifles within this thread will get you past 600yds and if you're a good driver, they will be sub-MOA past 600yds.

I am really considering the POF now but do I want the 14.5" with pinned brake or a longer barrel choice. If it shoots good enough I'll sell my bolt rifle. So this rifle could go out to 850yds or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poke53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am really considering the POF now but do I want the 14.5" with pinned brake or a longer barrel choice. If it shoots good enough I'll sell my bolt rifle. So this rifle could go out to 850yds or so. </div></div>

I would suggest you get at least a 16" barrel, 18-20" if you plan to shoot out to 850yds. My PWS is a 14.5" but it's my run and gun battle rifle, I can make decent hits at distance but the velocity really suffers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poke53</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish pof produced a 18" barrel. I'm thinking the 20" I guess</div></div>

Be prepared to stand in line and wait awhile. I know a guy who ordered one on February 2nd and he's still waiting. The last word was it will be shipped out this week but...we'll see.