• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide on a SBR/pistol coyote caliber

fifdynutz

Pasture Poodle
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Iowa
Hey guys, im currently building a new ar15 platform rifle for no good reason at all (just started cerakoting and need a canvas i guess). I have been night hunting for years with my .223 and it does fine (a few runners here and there) but im looking to try something new. What im stuck on is the 6.8spc, .224 valkrie, 6.5 grendel, 6mm ARC debate. I want to do something in the 12.5-14.5" range for when my suppressors are out of jail, and i want something that will double as a day truck gun. What im looking for is the absolute best accuracy i can get inside 500 yards off a tripod. I also reload so ammo availability isnt as big of a concern. For the day setup it would have a 2-10 XTRII on it, and at night a flir pts536. ...what would you guys choose for a caliber with this purpose/barrel length? Thanks

I have a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel. Haven't used it on game yet, but I like it alot. Hoping to take a deer with it this season. The 6.8 bullets tend not to have as high of ballistic coefficients. The Valkyrie and ARC are both appealing, especially for varmints or predators, I just haven't seen any data yet on how much velocity they lose in shorter barrels. Obviously ammo is scarce right now, but the Valkyrie and Grendel have factory options from multiple manufactures whereas the ARC is limited to two loads from Hornady at the moment.

Reactions: fifdynutz
been shooting a 11.5" 6.8 for awhile now with a TBAC suppressor. Bison armory barrel is a tack driver with 120 SST's and I've shot a shit ton of hogs and some deer with it. Of Your choices 6.8, 6.5,6mm seem the way to go. Seems like the 224 has some issues according to the inter web. The ARC is the new round on the block so maybe try it and see how it goes and let us know!

Reactions: fifdynutz
The 6.8 spc can launch a 123 grain bullet faster than the 6.5 grendel. That equals more KE on target. But, the 6.5 grendel wins when considering only BC, so it shoots a bit flatter and bucks the wind a bit better. The 6 ARC will probably have better trajectory stats than the 6.5 grendel when considering equivalent BC bullets but will be hauling less mass to the target. Of those three, I went with the grendel and am perfectly satisfied. It is a hammer on deer, easy to load for, and shoots tiny little groups (I shoot one in PRS style comps). For your use case, I really don't think there is enough difference between the 6.8 and 6.5 to lose sleep over.

From a purely accuracy standpoint do you guys think the 6mm arc will out perform the grendel with all other things being equal?

12.5" 6.8 here, lays deer in the dirt. Check with AR15 performance(ARP)for a barrel and bolt.

I hunt a fair amount at night, my vote is for flattest shooting. I call in everything from crp grassland to open creek flats that have several hundred acres of stubble or stalks. Very rarely have I needed more than 225-250yds. Most of the kills are from 25-150yds. I get along fine with 223 loaded with 50gr vmax.
20170928_211324.jpg

30ish yds, wrecked his evening
20170605_223332.jpg
Just at 230yds. A 50/200yd zero works great in my area.

Last edited:
My vote would be for the 6.8 spc with good varmint bullets. I have used 120 grain sst's with great luck as several have mentioned above.

My 11.5" 5.56 keeps the Barnes 70gr TSX above its expansion threshold of 1800 fps past 300 yards. Granted, this is the hot SSA ammo that's no longer available, but a mild load can still reach out past 250 effectively.

Whether you go with 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 SPC, you can reach out even farther. I picked Grendel because I like the balance of bullet weight and aerodynamics. If you really want to reach out to 500 yards, the 6mm ARC might be best.

I hunt a fair amount at night, my vote is for flatest shooting. I call in everything throm crp grassland to open creek flats that have several hundred acres of stubble or stalks. Very rarely have I needed more than 225-250yds. Most of the kills are from 25-150yds. I get along fine with 223 loaded with 50gr vmax.View attachment 7420711
30ish yds, wrecked his eveningView attachment 7420721Just at 230yds. A 50/200yd zero works great in my area.

Nice setup!

Your probably the fanciest dressed coyote hunter around 😎

Tagging in for info as My BIL has been looking into a 6.5 Grendel for whitetail inside 300 yds. 16” AR setup. I don’t know much about them to help him out

Reactions: 6brshooter
Haha. I got out of a combine from cutting beans in that field and grabbed my night rig and helmet and went back out.

Reactions: hafejd30
Night camo is my favorite. The dogs dont give a shit if you are wearing a smoker's coat and loafers or $500 of gore-tex

My vote is for 6ARC. If you reload, there are a lot of good bullets out there you can use for varmints or medium game. Not a lot of factory options at this time, but I am sure that will take off soon.

im narrowed down to a 13" 6.5g or a 14.5" 6arc....someone help me pick!

Normally I'd say 6.5G has better ammo availability, but I doubt anyone is panic buying 6mm ARC ammo yet, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more 6mm at this particular moment... I'd do a quick ammoseek search to see what's available and let that guide your decision. 6.5G probably has better terminal ballistics within typical hunting ranges (which may be negligible in coyotes?), but the 6ARC should shoot flatter.

Last edited:
the options for grendel out there are terrible, but the reloading components are a little better (except powder) the ARC has hornady black 103 with eldx bullets available which should be decent for break in, sight in, hunting, and brass

I use a 12" suppressed grendel. We have a bear damage permit and ill let you know what it does to a decent sized black bear. On deer within 300 it works great. Hornady black 123Gr is 2215FPS in my gun. It makes a mess of coyotes and foxes if fur friendly is your goal.

my buddy is the one who takes the fur when we go, he might whine about it but i personally dont care haha

20200920_132301.jpg

Got it cerakoted and partially assembled, just wanting on a few more parts and the optic

I normally use a 12.5” 5.56 and my buddy uses a 9” 6.8 spc. Coyotes can’t seem to tell the difference. Given any ar caliber factory options I would go with a 6mm arc because I love the 6mm.

If you are a reloader I would consider a 14.5” 20 practical. I’d have to dig into velocity out of that short of a tube, but that would be a very flat shooting option.

Hey guys, im currently building a new ar15 platform rifle for no good reason at all (just started cerakoting and need a canvas i guess). I have been night hunting for years with my .223 and it does fine (a few runners here and there) but im looking to try something new. What im stuck on is the 6.8spc, .224 valkrie, 6.5 grendel, 6mm ARC debate. I want to do something in the 12.5-14.5" range for when my suppressors are out of jail, and i want something that will double as a day truck gun. What im looking for is the absolute best accuracy i can get inside 500 yards off a tripod. I also reload so ammo availability isnt as big of a concern. For the day setup it would have a 2-10 XTRII on it, and at night a flir pts536. ...what would you guys choose for a caliber with this purpose/barrel length? Thanks

5” barrel
.50 BMG
Nut up or shut up

Reactions: ajdemar215