• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me decide which 6.5 to build? Let me hear your opinion please.

LoanHarvey

I am Harvdog!
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
www.loanharvey.com
If the purpose was 400-700 yards for small to medium game (up to and including deer) and 1000+ on steel, which 6.5 would you build? Barrel would be a bartlein 5R 8 twist. Thinking the 140gr bullets?

Would really like some input please. Should I stick with a 260 to keep it simple or venture into something different. I will reload for this.
Thank you guys!!

This will likely be an even mix of people recommending 6.5 creed and .260.

As a reloader I like my .260 as you can get nice brass outside hornady.

I recently wrestled with this myself. When I say recently I mean yesterday. I went with a 6.5 CM barrel for my AE.

I reload myself and was leaning strongly toward the 260 but I am PCSing right now and its all jacked up and basically Im going to be bee bopping along the PNW instead of being deployed. Moral of the story is I can get my rifle sent to me but Im not going to be traveling around the country with my reloading supplies.

The lure of easily available and predictable match ammo (seems like they got it figured out anyway) drew me in. And now Im seeing Win match 6.5 with 140 gr bthp, and Nosler ammo too although its overpriced. I know SW and C4 make ammo for the 6.5s but you can get the Hornady ammo anywhere.

Anyway thats my 6.5 story.

My first choice would be the 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Much better brass and fits a DBM much better with room to spare. Here's a nice one. LOL.

Regards, Paul

Last edited:
I'm in the process of building a 6.5 X284 Norma on a Rem 700 LA. Yes a barrel burner but its going to be fun anyway.

I'm currently shooting a 6.5-06. 140g Amax at 2950. 1200 yards with low recoil. You must reload but brass is easy with either 25-06 or .270. I loved my 260 pushing the 140's at 2750 but wanted a little more. It's a kick ass round.

6.5 Creedmoor because you can get Match and Hunting loads from the factory that are blistering accurate. If you find yourself shooting steel more then hunting then you can still load the 140 Hybrids.

260 does have better brass but if you shoot more comps then hunting it won't hurt your feelings as much when you lose your brass :)

These "which 6.5?" threads always crack me up . You always see them pop up every couple months and the replies are all the same....260 because of lapua brass and a little more case capacity, 6.5 creedmoor if you don't reload, 6.5 lapua because it does the same thing as the others but with less powder and has lapua brass... Etc. I'm curious to see how these "which 6.5?" threads will read if lapua ever starts making brass for the creedmoor.

These "which 6.5?" threads always crack me up . You always see them pop up every couple months and the replies are all the same....260 because of lapua brass and a little more case capacity, 6.5 creedmoor if you don't reload, 6.5 lapua because it does the same thing as the others but with less powder and has lapua brass... Etc. I'm curious to see how these "which 6.5?" threads will read if lapua ever starts making brass for the creedmoor.

IIRC - the 6.5 Creedmoor can be made from 22-250 brass and Lapua makes 22-250 brass so......

I am in the same decision mode as you for my DTA. They make 6.5x47 ,6.5 creedmore and 260. I have made up my mind that I want a 6.5x47 due to the way I shoot. I value precision over everything else and with lapua brass, small primer, and efficiency I feel that this is the round for me. I don't shoot competition and I don't shoot 100 rounds at a time. I will hunt varmints out to as far as I can with it and steel as far as I can set up.

IIRC - the 6.5 Creedmoor can be made from 22-250 brass and Lapua makes 22-250 brass so......

Don't know about the creed, but I do know the 47 can be made from .22-250 brass. Opens up a whole world of cheep brass for match loss.

I went with the CM, good factory ammo, decent barrel life and other companies will start making brass soon.

I would still give the edge to .260 Remington.

Help me decide which 6.5 to build? Let me hear your opinion please.

OP, since you do reload the choice is clear IMO. 6.5x47 Lapua.

Quick question to all who might have had both or do and know the answers. I read a lot and couldnt find the info I was looking for. I have already bought a .260 for what I knew about it.
How does barrel life between .260 and x47 compare? Say running them in the "middle" area of speed, not crazy hot, and 140ish class from a 24" barrel?
I wanted Lapua brass so I had it between .260 and x47. I like so much about the x47 but wondered how barrel life would be with the higher pressures it runs at.
I had read Swaggers report on his velocities out of a short barrel x47 with varget and was interested cause I am a scrawny little wimp so shorter barrels are easier for my pansy ass to tote, mostly thinking of a hunting rifle in this instance. But a 20" barrel in RV contour it would be decent for matches if speed was as good as his with Varget or something similar in burn rate and barrel life was even close to a .260.
Anyways, just me thinking and smoke is rising.....

I guess I getting either old or lazy but my 6.5CM shoots factory 140 amax's 1/2" to 3/4" MOA out to 1200 yds. The same factory bullet smokes whitetails as well. Also works on pigs and other critters not wanted. Very hard to beat. Cheap, accurate factory ammo, no recoil, extremely accurate. What else would you want. It is the only rifle I have that has factory ammo that cheap and accurate. Priced other factory stuff lately? I reload but this has spoiled me.

I've been running a 260 in a bartlein 24" for over a year now with very positive results. 142 SMKs are nearly a one hole group (consistently under 1/2") which is about as good as I can do as a shooter for groups go but it is a great match gun for a none 6mm setup. Running lapua brass, H4350 at about 2850 fps I suspect I will get 10-12 firings out of the brass which is more than two barrels for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are already using a .260, why switch things up to another 6.5 that is nearly identical from a ballistics standpoint. I love my .260 and have not need to switch to a 6.5 CM or 6.5X47.

I have bean torn over the 6.5mm for months, I figure....... Short action: creedmoor, so I am not fighting mag length.
Long action gets more complicated, 6.5x284-6.5x55-260.............leaning toward the sweed myself ......cheepest lapua brass.....but a guy could go crazy trying to weigh the pros and what little cons there are.
Flip a coin and run with it.

As far as I'm concerned, 260 is king of the hill IF you reload and IF you use magazines that accommodate 2.900"+ COAL.

Once you restrict COAL to 2.850" or less, the 6.5 Creedmoor and x47 make sense.

If you're dependent upon factory ammo, the choice is abundantly clear: 6.5 Creedmoor.

As a reloader using magazines that handle 2.900"-2.950" COAL, however, the 260 simply has more case capacity; and therefore more performance potential at any given pressure.

At the end of the day, though, any of the 6.5s will get the job done.

As far as I'm concerned, 260 is king of the hill IF you reload and IF you use magazines that accommodate 2.900"+ COAL.

If you're dependent upon factory ammo, the choice is abundantly clear: 6.5 Creedmoor.

As a reloader using magazines that handle 2.900"-2.950" COAL, however, the 260 simply has more case capacity; and therefore more performance potential at any given pressure.

nothing else to add and couldn't agree more.
cheers

Of course assuming no magnums and no long actions. Speaking strictly of .473" bolt face short action cartridges.

My vote is 6.5 SAUM and if non-magnum is a must then 6.5x47, but I think the SAUM has made 3100 the new 2900 and 3000 the new 2000.