• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me find a reason to keep my 700P

MJY65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Minnesota
Since getting my TRG-22, I rarely take my 700P to the range. I took them both today and shot side by side for comparison. Conditions weren't ideal and I only had factory ammo with me, but both shot pretty well. The Sako groups a little tighter, but not a lot. The difference is that I seem to have to work a lot harder to get those nice groups with the Remington. The TRG stock fits me better and I really prefer the 2 stage trigger.

I have 2 other 700s (700P-300WM and VSSF 22-250), so selling it wouldn't leave me lacking for an example in the vault.

Any reason to keep both a 700P and TRG-22 in 308?

I've got two 700 308s, both varmint bbl. One in an A5, one in an HTG. Have heavy 30-06 too, but still like having an extra 308.

There's really no wrong answer, just do what makes you happy.

Just get the 700p rebarelled in a different caliber. You have two guns that shoot a .30 caliber bullet (win mag, trg). No need for three. Get something nice like in a 6.5 variant

Just get the 700p rebarelled in a different caliber. You have two guns that shoot a .30 caliber bullet (win mag, trg). No need for three. Get something nice like in a 6.5 variant

I guess you could include an LRP-07(308), M1A(308) and several other hunting rifles in my 30caliber inventory. I was actually thinking of converting the 700P and its scope to cash and upgrading my spotting scope.

If you don't need the cash I'd chop the barrel back and have a better handling rifle if you do any hunting. I have high end 308's too but my old trusty 700P isn't going anywhere. I've had it for 7-8 years now and put 6K+ rounds through it and it's still a hammer. The only times it gave me problems was the bolt handle pulled off so I had it tig welded, a couple extractors broke which was a 5 minute fix, and the bolt stop lever broke so I had a side bolt stop installed. The bolt handle and bolt stop will never be an issue again but the extractor is the nature of the beast, the nice thing about Remington extractors though is they're cheap and you can keep one in your pack and replace it at the range with just a pocket screwdriver if it breaks.

I suppose it depends upon how much the heritage of the 700P in .308 might mean to you. It's more or less a descendent of the USMC M40 originally developed by Remington. It has also been THE law enforcement Sniper rifle for the past 3 decades or so. If all that is meaningless historical mumbo jumbo to you, then sell it and buy something more to your liking. If not, keep it in the fold and shoot it whenever the mood strikes you.

HRF

sell and upgrade something else you need i.e.; optics, laser range finder, reloading gear, etc.

No pigs in MN

Yeah? Try the Mall of America on a Saturday afternoon. (Sorry, had to do it.)

As for the 700P, keep it if it's a shooter. It'll be a good donor action when you're ready and in the meantime, you can use it as your guest gun (say, for the next time you have your accident-prone brother-in-law with you at the range).

Last edited:
Have Short Action Customs re-barrel it to .260. While you're at it, true it up and get you a B&C Tactical Medalist stock. Cheap-er stock ($400ish I think) that feels similar to the TRG and honestly, I might like that stock more that the MCM or Manners still....

Just keep them both. I also own a trg 22 and 700p in both 308 & 300wm. I use my 700/308 for hunting and bought the 300wm for hunting also. The trg is just a bench gun for me. All 3 shoot great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have chopped .308 heavies to 16.5" and carried them behind the truck seat. Nice and handy. You already have the rifle and opric, so keep it for a beater/hunter.

No such thing as too many .308s...... but I am getting close to "enough."

100 yd groups like this is why I keep my 700P:

image_zps8581cc48.jpg

If you don't need it for a particular purpose, then maybe consider getting a second TRG22? Maybe look into aniother caliber for it if that's an option or even the same caliber, shorter barrel. The 700P is generally a workhorse, not pretty but gets the job done.

Hello Sir,

If it isn't costing you anything to keep it then why not? It is like money in the bank(or safe), it isn't going down in value and if a real need comes along then you have this to sell and get started with. Until then you have a quality back up shooter if that need arises. I am one for having backups for everything when possible. If you decide on another build then here is your donor action already in your hands. Just a thought.

jaclthr