• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Help me mold the future. I've been voluntold.

GTOJOSH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2018
Local 4H had some interest from kids around in shooting sports, and had no adults throw down to help so they were going to cancel.
My wife volunteered me to keep it from going under and word got out it was on.
Now, 32 youth ages 8-18 are signed up. One of the ladies and her coworker are set as range officers, and other than a few "I'll be here from time to time when I can" commitments, I'm the instructor. I've been approved, They're going to email me a packet with dates for competitions and good luck.
Can't start on rifle or shotgun till March, and they have the archery section covered.
I've taught folks who never shot before how to catch the sickness, and taught my own kids proper handling and safety, but ANY help from others who've done this before would be appreciated.
Think of when you first started out and what made the positive influence on you to want to be a gun guy or gal. My biggest goals are obviously safety, and getting these kids to make firearms a part of their lives. Post, or message me. Even if it's "I like shooting eggs- they're cheap."
Thanks guys, THIS place is the real heartbeat of America, and in advance- I appreciate the help more than you all know.

I instruct adults ......when I deal with the younger crowd, I keep it simple and fun. Bowling pins, balloons ect. Don't let some ahole send his kid in with a 10k shotgun and clean house, in those scenarios nobody has fun Nobody wants to be last, keep it light and kinda neutral so kids stay encouraged. Kids need to be kept busy and will want to help..let them. Teach ethics like cleaning up afterward, maybe with a simple reward every so often, a box of ice cream sams is cheap. Talk to the kids after each session, ask what did you learn? anyone not hitting well needs to know on the next meet , you'all are gonna work on it.

Make each shooter have a parent or guardian present while any activity is being held. There is no way you can keep track of everything going on. This is for your protection and to help prevent anything from becoming a problem.
Very simple rule is no parent or guardian present means that child is not shooting.
I was certified 4H instructor years ago and this one one of the first things beaten into our heads during our training.

I’m a volunteer rifle merit badge instructor for the scouts. How far are you from VA? I might be able to lend a hand if I’m not working.

Reactions: Zeroit
I’m a volunteer rifle merit badge instructor for the scouts. How far are you from VA? I might be able to lend a hand if I’m not working.
I very much appreciate the offer, but in person may not work out as Ut is a ways away, but I may tap you for some knowledge, and pick your brain on specific things as they come up if you're good with that.

Sound like a blast! I would start small (airsoft/BB) and expand into 22 and maybe 5.56 if allowed.
Is it crazy that I hadn't thought about starting with bb guns? Me over looking the simple things. Thanks to all, please keep them coming. Eggs, clays, bb guns... I'm starting to feel like the task isn't impossible.

Like stated above, water bottles with colored water. Take a 2x4 and paddle bit, drill a hole for the cap to fit in and use that as a target stand. Also, when you get further into it, lollipops in a 2x4 for BB or 22lr makes for a good test of fundamentals.

Reactions: GTOJOSH
I very much appreciate the offer, but in person may not work out as Ut is a ways away, but I may tap you for some knowledge, and pick your brain on specific things as they come up if you're good with that.
I’m perfectly happy to help in whatever way I can. The main thing is to make sure the kids don’t get tired. Even the most energetic kid only has about 2 hours of juice in them, and really only one hour of prime focus. Do your teaching in the first hour, fun targets in the second hour, then turn them out for food, water, and some unrelated activity or rest. In my troop, we pair shooting with a blacksmithing demo where the kids can help, but they mostly watch. It gives them the time they need to absorb the material and something new and cool to attract their attention.

This target at 50ft, stapled to 2' x4' ceiling tile backers, held upright with two sections of rebar 1" apart (for outdoor, or leaning against the target apron on the floor in the indoor range), one directly in front of the other. The targets are stapled two to a ceiling tile, left and right about 18" apart. The ceiling tile is on its long edge, inserted between the two rebars while are in the center between the two targets. Shooting prone, two shooters to a target. Two shots per bull; the top center bull is sighter bull. Each pair of shooters is provided with two backer/target sets to which they had mounted fresh targets while waiting to shoot. They went forward and replaced the used target/tile set with a fresh one between stages, which really speeded up the courses of fire. Everything followed the same sequence/script; safety was stressed at each step. Target were posted in the clubhouse meeting room the following week, no prizes or anything, just bragging rights. Friday nights, informal practice was supported, and parents could help.

We followed the NRA Light Rifle program exactly. It became so popular at our rifle club that an Adult Light Rifle League got up and running separately. This all took place in the early 2000's. My Wife and I ran into significant health problems and couldn't participate after 2006.

Any rifles provided by shooters had to pass visual safety inspection and the shooter had to demonstrate proficiency. There were a few 'ringers' but the only real common denominator was marksmanship skill. Semi's permitted, but must be single fed.

It's not about the gear; it's about teaching gun safety and marksmanship skills.

My Wife and I, and another SH member (STP) ran a youth program one evening per week. My Wife did the scoring and record keeping out in the meeting room, while we other two ran the line.

Thursdays worked best so family activities were not in conflict. Arrive by 6:30PM for informal meeting, firing line begins at 7:00PM, done and lights out by 9:00PM.

Over 4 years, seven NRA Junior Distinguished Rimfire Experts had risen through our ranks. We used inexpensive scoped .22lr Bolt guns, 8 of which were provided by we two Line Instructors.

They all wanted to use my secondhand Savage MKII; they called her Black Beauty. There are three ceremonial notches in her stock, one for each Junior Distinguished Rimfire Expert who used her to make their bones.

One of the stipulations at our club was that we would pay for NRA Instructor Certification for any member who wanted it. At one point, we had 7 certified Instructors, more than any other shooting Club in the State of NY. It's all just a question of priorities. Saturday mornings, 2nd and 4th weekend of each Monday, May-October, there were competitions. Archery, Trap, Indoor Rifle, Indoor Handgun, Outdoor Paper Sniper at 200yd, later 300yd, indoor air rifle sniper with airguns and plastic toy soldiers, and on and on.

Our Club.

My Wife and I (later the rest of the family) moved here to SE Arizona beginning in 2016.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: GTOJOSH and Pbgt
I really appreciate the help. The time is approaching, and I'm getting things finalized out. I like the idea of sending the next target with the kids. These little things, simple but overlooked are going to really help. Especially during the time when we're short on daylight.

When I was growing up I loved shooting the old tomatoes left on one vine with my bb gun, something that splattered.
Old cans of beer or soda, water bottles, clay pigeons. Anything really.

My biggest question is: what are they shooting? Does 4h have a club set of bows and rifles and shotguns? Are they all bringing their own? Do you have enough to share? Im just picturing 32 kids standing in line to shoot only one rifle and how that wont be fun for any of them.
Putting 4 on the line at a time and which ever one can hit their 3 tomatoes with the fewest shots while maintaining proper firearm safety wins etc.

probably not much help, just making more work for you, but Ryan Cleckner helped out with a 4H club a year or two ago and it seemed to work out pretty well from his reports. You might try emailing his assistant Jackie and see if she can get some tips from him. she's responded to me before when I've emailed him ryancleckner.com

All but a handful of kids brought their own .22's. Did our first round at the range this week. I brought 4 rifles, there were 4 4h owned one's. Shot with 8 kids at a time 5 shots from 3 positions at 25 yards.
Only shot paper this round, divided the kids into 2 skill levels (for starts) and got some parents to help with some things needed. We are cleaning the range in April, in exchange for a lane reserved for us once per week till end of September. I've used multiple suggestions from here thus far and hope to see more keep rolling in. These are the future voters, sportsman, and folks you'll see at the range. Without them, we're outdated fossils. With them, we're all got a future together. Thanks again to all for the help.

Best advice for teaching dry fire to kids with rimfires after explaining to never dry fire a rimfire?
Spent cartridges, snap caps, rope blocks, or...?

Any artsy / computer types seen or can make a covid19 printable target I can email out to the intermediate shooters? Thanks

Good for you Josh! You and your teammates are doing a world of good for those kids. They will have skills for a lifetime. You leaders will have memories for a life time. The kids can teach you stuff too. Like patience.

Shouldn't be too hard to design something on publisher. What kind of target you looking for? Anything specific?

Just whipped those up in Publisher quick. Half inch dots and grid lines are all one inch apart

Also yes, c19 is a picture of covid-19 as a target if you're feeling goofy.

Attachments

• Target(C19).pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Target.pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 46
Thanks. I appreciate your help. Might get the kids extra incentive to go do some practicing.

So, I know it's a push on an old thread, but our club got canceled for awhile due to rona.
But, we're back at it, and I wanted to give a big thank-you to everyone here for your help and inspirations, not just in this thread, but throughout the site. A big Thank you Frank, gr8fuldoug, and others as well.
I'm pleased to say from our little group (only 7 returned after corona canceled all club activities), we got 3 kids who qualified for state. AND, of those who went to state, we proudly have a National Qualifier.
At first I did monthly videos during the shutdown and sent out to the kids, and wondered if I was wasting my time and resources, but it's all been worth it.

Our boy leaves for Nationals in June to Nebraska, and I know he will do us all proud. I've seen him around town Earning money- mowing lawns, cleaning gutters, etc for his trip rather than asking for handouts, or expecting others to float his way. He is coming to help clean up some trees that I cut down this weekend to earn some more. (He was wearing a t-shirt that said "Will work for Ammo" and I couldn't resist hiring him, plus- he is good help).

With all the bad news in the world, I wanted to share that swell of pride- and our chance to stand a little taller knowing yet another youth has found not only a love and proficiency in firearms (helping our sport survive to future generations), but that some have now been instilled within them a little more knowledge and understanding of the American story: You may be the underdog, you may not come from much (he was borrowing a shotgun and rifle during the State Competition), or a town anyone has ever even heard of, but if you will dedicate yourself to be the best you can at whatever you set out for; you will get back out of it more than what you put in. You are the shaper of your own success.
My hat off to all of you Gents, and Ladies. With a sincere Thank you once again. I'm going to ask his Mom if it would be okay to share his trip with some "friends" of mine online so I can keep you all updated if she will send me pictures, etc while they are gone.
But until then, grab a Dr Pepper, think of the All American boy in all of us, and smile knowing you were a part of a small victory this week. God bless to all.

That is awesome!!!

I coached my son's 4H BB team (22 kids), he has now moved to precision air rifle. Its fun but I'm not as hands on as with the BB.

I was in your same situation 2 years ago for our 4h squad down here in Jacksonville, Fl.

I tried to sign my daughters up, and the director said it would not be possible with “these inter city kids”. Well my country Butt could not let it go. So I told the school director to gave me a list of qualifications that the school required. Me being an active duty Marine not only took on the challenge, but also challenged a couple of my fellow Marines. We had to start from the ground up with nothing.

The 3 of us became NRA instructors in just about every class they have to offer. We also became Hunter Safety instructors for the state. We took all of our certificates to the school, sheriff office, and local police department

On sign up day we had 37 students who wanted to take the course. Out of the 37 students only 5 kids had ever shot a rifle (My 2, and 3 children from the other 2 instructors).

Knowing that we did not have anything that was needed for a 4H shooting teal. The great kids and parents organized several events to raise money from car washes, pump for change, cook outs, talking to all types of shops for donations, and a banquet with a silent action (some members here offered prize table gifts and stuff for us to auction of).

Buy doing these we where fortunate enough to be able to raise enough money, and with the help of some local gunsmiths, barrel makers, stock makers, and hide members we were able to purchase some nice 22’s for our club.

We started off with the weapon safety rules, then rolled into the 8hr Hunter Safety mandated course (with the hopes of these young men and women securing our future in all aspects of gun ownership)

Our goal as instructors is not only to teach the children, but is also to teach the parents. So our classes are set up kids up front parents in the back rolls. NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED

EVERYONE CAN LEARN FROM ANYONE!!

A local farmer (former Army Ranger) was not only nice enough to let us shoot on his land, but was able to keep the kids engaged throughout the whole process by assigning pairs student a segment to where they had to build a range card. Once all of them was submitted he took his own time to sit with the to build an actual range card using the input from the ones the students made. The the student and parents mapped out the range bad back stops, put in left and right lateral limits, set up target stands, and a prefab building company donated a 10x16 building where we could teach the classes as weapons on school property was a big no no.

with the help of the parents we were able to get range cards and data book printed off and laminated so each student would have a copy, and a couple big ones posted at the range.

In the class room:
We go over the days plan
We say out loud the safety rules
Dis and asy of the weapons
Function check
Parents must sign waiver letters (ever time)

Once we leave the class room the range is considered hot:
Range safety report is given
Safety gear on at all time
Ammo will not leave the benches (parent hands it out as needed)
Range flags in at all times
Pass your weapon off if you need to use the head

We start off with the air rifles as they are cheaper to run. The move onto the 22’s

Our targets are as close as 15 yards and go out to 175 yards

This past year one of the parents welded up a couple very nice spinner dot targets.

parents are not allowed to leave the range for any reason, and they are not allowed to touch the weapons. BUT EVERYONE IS A SAFETY OFFICER.

some our our kids have placed high in the state but have not been fortunate to go further in 4h.

I do have 5-6 kids that are transitioning to the nra22/PRS type shooting and that will be fun to watch.

Intercity kids want to learn and shoot for the right reasons as well WE just have to get them out there safely.

Thanks for what you are doing,
Jay

So, I know it's a push on an old thread, but our club got canceled for awhile due to rona.
But, we're back at it, and I wanted to give a big thank-you to everyone here for your help and inspirations, not just in this thread, but throughout the site. A big Thank you Frank, gr8fuldoug, and others as well.
I'm pleased to say from our little group (only 7 returned after corona canceled all club activities), we got 3 kids who qualified for state. AND, of those who went to state, we proudly have a National Qualifier.
At first I did monthly videos during the shutdown and sent out to the kids, and wondered if I was wasting my time and resources, but it's all been worth it.

Our boy leaves for Nationals in June to Nebraska, and I know he will do us all proud. I've seen him around town Earning money- mowing lawns, cleaning gutters, etc for his trip rather than asking for handouts, or expecting others to float his way. He is coming to help clean up some trees that I cut down this weekend to earn some more. (He was wearing a t-shirt that said "Will work for Ammo" and I couldn't resist hiring him, plus- he is good help).

With all the bad news in the world, I wanted to share that swell of pride- and our chance to stand a little taller knowing yet another youth has found not only a love and proficiency in firearms (helping our sport survive to future generations), but that some have now been instilled within them a little more knowledge and understanding of the American story: You may be the underdog, you may not come from much (he was borrowing a shotgun and rifle during the State Competition), or a town anyone has ever even heard of, but if you will dedicate yourself to be the best you can at whatever you set out for; you will get back out of it more than what you put in. You are the shaper of your own success.
My hat off to all of you Gents, and Ladies. With a sincere Thank you once again. I'm going to ask his Mom if it would be okay to share his trip with some "friends" of mine online so I can keep you all updated if she will send me pictures, etc while they are gone.
But until then, grab a Dr Pepper, think of the All American boy in all of us, and smile knowing you were a part of a small victory this week. God bless to all.
When/where in Nebraska? I live in Lincoln, would gladly go watch if time allowed or help out in any way if I could.

It's in Grand Island. Like you, I wish I could go also. Sounds like they have everything dialed in for the events back therw. The kid from our group is going with another small town kid from the next county over who also qualified so they can split the gas. 2 Moms, 2 kids who have only met once, riding together, with guns, in an early 2000s honda, across half the country to go represent their state by shooting stuff. That's the kind of stuff memories are made of.
I wish I could fly out to watch the events and get some additional observation pointers on what works for the kids who have made it to Nationals to trickle back those mechanics and little observations back into our club, but from talking to one of the leaders, they never dreamed anyone from our group would even go to State, let alone Nationals, so they may take the program serious now.

The thing I think is funniest of the whole thing- I asked him when I saw him if he was nervous about going. (Me thinking about the pressure, the expectations, and hype, etc), and he said yes, he is nervous because they have a dance as a kick off party, and he is worried there won't be any girls there to dance with since all the qualifiers he saw were boys🤣.
I paid him for helping do tree clean-up, reminded him he can use my shotgun if he'd like, and sent him and his brother on their way. I couldn't help laughing as they left that of all things, that was his concern.
He has 'till the middle of June to get everything finalized, so until then I'll see him weekly at shooting sports. Tomorrow is our club meet, and I'm hoping he can inspire some of the younger kids to want to really immerse themselves into this, and see they can accomplish something they can be proud of if they will put the effort in.

Reactions: godofthunder
Just whipped those up in Publisher quick. Half inch dots and grid lines are all one inch apart

Also yes, c19 is a picture of covid-19 as a target if you're feeling goofy.
Realized I never said thank you for doing these targets. We actually do use them, and I appreciate it.

Don't let some ahole send his kid in with a 10k shotgun and clean house, in those scenarios nobody has fun Nobody wants to be last, keep it light and kinda neutral so kids stay encouraged.

LOL I'm pretty sure you have no clue since $10K shotguns don't work without someone skilled holding them.

And what's with the participation trophy bullshit?

308, what I was trying to get across, is, the parents ruin the "youth" sports often. Ever been to a little league bb game? I do understand skill is needed, I didnt come across very clear.

I agree with both of you. Our clubs kid was using a borrowed 20ga Legacy sports pointer with walmart federal ammo and did great. I can only imagine how he'd do with a higher end shotgun and shells.
That said, there was a kid there with a super tricked out shotgun, full competion clothing getup, case of padded shooting glasses in like 9 colors who did well enough to be 3rd alternate in the event a bunch of other kids can't go. The gear often makes the difference when all skill is equal, but if I had to bet on a best group at 50 yards between Jerry Miculek with a surplus Tokarev, or Lebron with a gucci glock one off precision custom race gun built by a reincarnated John Moses Browning himself in full collaboration with Rolex and Ferarri, my $5 would say Lebron would again be crying in the news.
Only had 4 kids show to this last practice, but they all did great, and the anticipation is growing.