• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me pick a bullet for everything 6.5 CM

Sokam101

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2020
Im currently shooting a tikka ctr in 6.5 creedmoor with a 20 inch barrel. I want to have one load for PRS and hunting. Ive been running hornady 143 eldx but I want to try something different. Im not impressed with the quality control. Im considering a berger 140 elite hunter or the 156 EOL. The 156 have .03 better G7 BC. But how much is that BC going to help me or be worth it out to 1200 yards? I was shocked when I saw how low the 6mm bullets are but they still shoot so flat. Im guessing FPS has something to do with it also.

Thanks for any advice!

I went with the Berger 130 Hybrid for a do all in 6.5x47, I haven't used them in 65 Creedmoor yet but would expect the same results just need to use up all of the 147eldm I have.
Any trouble getting expansion with the hybrid hunting?

Any trouble getting expansion with the hybrid hunting?

I haven't used them hunting yet but have no hesitation to do so.
Thier performance is fairly well documented.i have a near identical load with the 130 vld hunting bullet as well but when they are gone will be staying with the hybrid.

Reactions: lash
156 is a little heavy for the CM imo. Especially with a 20” barrel it’s going to be hard to get enough velocity to take advantage of the higher BC. A lighter bullet with a smaller BC moving faster usually ends up having better ballistics in the CM. 130-140gn is about the sweet spot
Im currently shooting a tikka ctr in 6.5 creedmoor with a 20 inch barrel. I want to have one load for PRS and hunting. Ive been running hornady 143 eldx but I want to try something different. Im not impressed with the quality control. Im considering a berger 140 elite hunter or the 156 EOL. The 156 have .03 better G7 BC. But how much is that BC going to help me or be worth it out to 1200 yards? I was shocked when I saw how low the 6mm bullets are but they still shoot so flat. Im guessing FPS has something to do with it also.

Thanks for any advice!

I'm shooting the 135 VLDs with good results, but I've yet to shoot anything with them. I also would expect decent results.

Like already said, 130-140 is the sweet spot for 6.5 Creedmoor, especially if you’re looking for a general use bullet. 156 is definitely too heavy for this cartridge unless you have an extra long barrel, like 28” or so. Don’t get hung up in all that incremental BC nonsense. A consistent bullet that yields consistent results is way more useful.

136gr Scenar L over H4350 have been very accurate. Friend I load for has used same on two W. TX mule deer-both one shot kills.

156 is a little heavy for the CM imo. Especially with a 20” barrel it’s going to be hard to get enough velocity to take advantage of the higher BC. A lighter bullet with a smaller BC moving faster usually ends up having better ballistics in the CM. 130-140gn is about the sweet spot
That's what I'm thinking the berger test barrel is 26 inches to push them 2680. I'd be getting like 2500 with my slow Tikka barrel

That's what I'm thinking the berger test barrel is 26 inches to push them 2680. I'd be getting like 2500 with my slow Tikka barrel

In my initial and limited testing of the 150smk in 65 creedmoor, just a seating depth test they were easily pushed to 2680fps in a Bartlien 23" barrel.
That was using new Lapua brass, in fired brass I would expect a bit more velocity and not sure were the upper node would be since I haven't revisited them.

In my initial and limited testing of the 150smk in 65 creedmoor, just a seating depth test they were easily pushed to 2680fps in a Bartlien 23" barrel.
That was using new Lapua brass, in fired brass I would expect a bit more velocity and not sure were the upper node would be since I haven't revisited them.
What seating depth did they like?

What seating depth did they like?
I would have to go dig out the target and notes but just off of memory it was either touching or .010" off.
The five shots I fired that were .015" were the ones I chronographed and .020" off was basically the same results.
The barrel was still very new with only about 50 rounds through it so it may speed up some, it seemed to run fairly fast from the start judging by the Norma match 130 grain factory ammo I used initially that was running an average of 2915fps.
I didn't have another 65CM to compare against but that is 55 fps faster than what is listed on the box but from a shorter barrel.

Last edited:
I would have to go dig out the target and notes but just off of memory it was either touching or .010" off.
The five shots I fired that were .015" were the ones I chronographed and .020" off was basically the same results.
My rifle has been liking more jump .060. but that's going to start taking away from case capacity.

136gr Scenar L over H4350 have been very accurate. Friend I load for has used same on two W. TX mule deer-both one shot kills.
This happens to still be my favorite load. I have shot more 136s than most and have never found a reason to want more. @psinclair has taken quite a bit of game using these.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobke and XLR308
Any reason classic hunter over the elite?

My biggest reason is the damn things just SHOOT.

They're not seating depth sensitive, work well in a BDL mag or an AICS magazine, have great terminal effects on game, only give up .007 G7 BC to the 140gr Elite Hunter, can be driven to equal or slightly greater velocity, and are more available.

My biggest reason is the damn things just SHOOT.

They're not seating depth sensitive, work well in a BDL mag or an AICS magazine, have great terminal effects on game, only give up .007 G7 BC to the 140gr Elite Hunter, can be driven to equal or slightly greater velocity, and are more available.

I'm sure they will do the job and they have liked a lot of deer. Thank you so much for the info. What fps are you pushing them with how long of a barrel and powder load.

I'm sure they will do the job and they have liked a lot of deer. Thank you so much for the info. What fps are you pushing them with how long of a barrel and powder load.

Berger factory 135s are 2575fps from my 18" 1:8 PVA prefit; haven't reloaded any of them yet.

I like it quite a bit, works great for my shooting which is inside 650yd and is nice with a SiCo Omega on the end for hunting.

Nice I have an omega also. I mostly hunt in new york and they are illegal up there. Semi rifles are fair game but nope cant use a suppressor makes sense lol.

The norma golden target 130 grain has worked awesome on Elk/deer/antelope for me and for precision taget shooting out to 1200 yards. It is probably the best bullet weight for your 20 inch barrel to get the best velocity/BC performance. I am going to try the sierra 130 HPBT-CN #1729 on game. It is readily available and duplicates the performance of the norma bullet. With a 2800fps muzzle velocity you would still be above 1400fps at 1000 yards with the 130. I have had great results with factory Prime 130 6.5 creedmoor and also the factory Norma 130 6.5 creedmoor.

129 SST.
I'm getting some Sako brass and some different powders to work with.
I've always liked the SST projectile.
It's for my new Tikka Super Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited:
129 SST.
I'm getting some Sako brass and some different powders to work with.
I've always liked the SST projectile.

I really like the SST bullets as well but they are kind of caliber dependent on wether or not they will behave like an expanding hunting bullet or fragment violently.
In the 68spc they fragment fairly easily but are very effective at those velocities.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I launched some 129 SST yesterday.
They did really well.
Now it's just a matter of tuning the load and case.
That's the fun though.
Seeing if you can build a magic recipe.

Accessing the knowledge on this forum is great.
How many centuries of accumulated knowledge is sitting here, waiting to be used?