• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help me pick a stock!!!

Crotalus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2008
Santa Rosa, Ca
Well my custom rifle is a long time in the making. largely because I can't make up my mind on a stock.

Will be a tikka in 6.5x284, CDI long action BDM, 27" Rock Creek #5 fluted. Rifle will be mostly for learning to shoot beyond 500yrd/targets/steel. However I am more so a hunter than target shooter so this rifle will also be used in the field. I want a stock is comfortable in a variety of positions. Shooting prone, off bags, off knee, offhand, of logs, ect.

I'm in between the Manners mcs-t and Mcmillan A3. Not sure if I want to go vertical grip or not? Never shot with a vert grip but seems like it would be great for the prone and off bags shooting. Not so much from weird positions?

What do you guys think.
thanks

Re: help me pick a stock!!!

Got to shoot one of these, http://mannersstocks.com/folders/.
Needless to say it was awesome. I think the folder is whats going on my 260 build. I also have a t4a on my 300 wm and it shoots like a whole new gun. The adjustable cheekpiece is MONEY!!

Check out the read Tom Manners just posted on here about his lightweight hunting stocks. There's some very nice 26-28oz stocks, much lighter than the T4 I'm humping around the mountains!

Folders are great when it comes time to clean! If you use a bore guide, they sometimes hit a high comb, that or your cleaning rod handle will hit the comb. Just something to keep in mind...

I have a Manners MCS-T stock on my hunting rifle. It has been very versatile for me both shooting steel and hunting.

I love the KRG Whiskey 3 but, for stock that will be used more for hunting and general use. Like mentioned above, you may want to wait for the Manners EH1. At under 28oz. it can be a real benefit to lose some weight in the rig. If you can't wait for that- either the MCST1 or A3 would be good. You will really like the vertical grip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whiskey 3 would be another option </div></div>
Not for a long action caliber Tikka.
frown.gif

ETA: I SO wish they would make it happen, though. I spoke with Jeff at CDI a few weeks back and he told me that he was going to be in contact with McMillan regarding the inlet for his new Tikka long action DBM, so that's probably the route I'll be taking for my 6.5x55. Too bad, since the Whiskey 3 is the only chassis that really appeals to me and I would likely have gone that route had it been an option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whiskey 3 would be another option </div></div>
frown.gif

ETA: I SO wish they would make it happen, though. I spoke with Jeff at CDI a few weeks back and he told me that he was going to be in contact with McMillan regarding the inlet for his new Tikka long action DBM, so that's probably the route I'll be taking for my 6.5x55. Too bad, since the Whiskey 3 is the only chassis that really appeals to me and I would likely have gone that route had it been an option. </div></div>

All T3's are long action, it's a magazine problem with long action calibers not the action itself.

I would go with a Manners T-6 similar to the MCM A-3 but I like it a little better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stmcelroy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whiskey 3 would be another option </div></div>
frown.gif

ETA: I SO wish they would make it happen, though. I spoke with Jeff at CDI a few weeks back and he told me that he was going to be in contact with McMillan regarding the inlet for his new Tikka long action DBM, so that's probably the route I'll be taking for my 6.5x55. Too bad, since the Whiskey 3 is the only chassis that really appeals to me and I would likely have gone that route had it been an option. </div></div>

All T3's are long action, it's a magazine problem with long action calibers not the action itself. </div></div>
Made me do a double take. Yeah, I said "long action caliber". The point being, they don't make one.
wink.gif

Thanks guys for the replies. I'm really looking at the new manners series. The EH1 with vert grip might be just the one. I'm worried about the rig feeling barrel heavy with a light weight stock though... I'd rather have a little extra weight if it means the rifle balances out. Again it will have a long bbl (27") semi heavy #5 sporter contour, w flutes. What do you think?

More opinions welcome, although I'm not really into all the super tacticool looking stuff like thumbhole this and adjustable that. The fewer parts the better. My hunting buds would die laughing if I showed up to hunt with a rifle in a fancy-wizz-bang adjustable chassis. lol