• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Help me pick a tbac

The barrel length rating is something I'm stuck on with these different TBAC cans. They all list the 300wm as more accommodating to shorter barrels as compared to the 300PRC. On the dominus it's 18 and 26 inches respectively, on the ultra 7 it's 18 and 22 inches respectively, on the Magnus it's 14.5 for both chamberings. I'm confused on why there is a discrepancy. I'm sure they have their reasons. The 300RC does hold more powder than the 300wm, and is presumably loaded over their 90gr limit before they want you to call them with load data. IDK?

Edit:their website says contact them with load data for 90 gr loads or more on a 7 cal and 100 gr loads and up in a 30 cal
The cans have different ratings because they are all constructed different, for different purposes (in the case of the Dominus), and have different geometry.

The difference that you noted on 300WM vs 300 PRC is because the 300 PRC can be hotrodded to 300 Norma levels, even though its factory loads start out at or below the hottest 300 Win Mag load.

Thanks for the clarification Zac that is what I had suspected. I have some questions that are pretty specific so I had better call in on Monday.

Alright boys, I'm bringing this one back and I don't even feel bad about it!

For those with experience between the two what are the differences between the ultra 7 and the dominus. By the numbers it looks to me like the dominus is a little shorter, a little fatter, a little quieter but just as heavy or a little bit heavier as the 7, depending on configuration. What else am I missing here? Why go 7 over dominus? The weight savings doesn't seem worth it to me to have a shorter quieter can. Please advise! BTW it's for hunting also...
I have an U7 CB (Gen 1) and Dominus CB, I can’t tell a difference in suppression, and they weigh nearly the same. Love them both. The Ultra is thinner and I prefer it for my hunting rifles. I use the Dominus on my comp rifle as well as my AR-15 300 BLK SBR. In real world use, the length difference is almost negligible.

Planning to get a Magnus soon.

Reactions: Fmilby
I’m the opposite from Zak, I see no reason to go ultra 7 over the dominus but I prefer shorter fatter cans. I have no regrets going dominus.

Reactions: reubenski
I have an U7 CB (Gen 1) and Dominus CB, I can’t tell a difference in suppression, and they weigh nearly the same. Love them both. The Ultra is thinner and I prefer it for my hunting rifles. I use the Dominus on my comp rifle as well as my AR-15 300 BLK SBR. In real world use, the length difference is almost negligible.

Planning to get a Magnus soon.
I'm going backwards compared to you. I've got a Magnus on order and trying to decide between a dominus and a 7...or even 7 vs 9. I want one that is as hearing safe as possible while reducing length and weight as much as possible. When viewing through your scope on hunting rifles does the dominus appear to obstruct your view on the bottom? If you had a suppressor cover on it would it be too much?

I’m the opposite from Zak, I see no reason to go ultra 7 over the dominus but I prefer shorter fatter cans. I have no regrets going dominus.
Jnull, or anyone else for that matter, same question as above?

Jnull, or anyone else for that matter, same question as above?

I also have a magnus, with much better suppression over the ultra 9 it wasn’t even a consideration.

Id imagine any suppressor can get in the way of the scope if you use super low mounts. All my rifles hunting included have raised or adjustable combs and I’ve been moving everything to taller rings for a more upright head position so it isn’t a factor for me personally.

Reactions: Raffy
Went and shot the Magnus today for the first time... Wow! It's just as quiet as (maybe slightly quieter than) my Nomad-LT and Hydrogen-L. Hard to tell since I was shooting it on my 16" MPR .308 Win...Which is a loud MF'er anyway. I was not uncomfortable at all shooting it without ear plugs...Just like my Nomad-LT and Hydro-L. I would honestly say, anyone wondering how they stack-up, I'd say you would be happy with any of the 3, and have a hard time distinguishing them apart with the human ear. Bravo TBAC and @TBACRAY ! The Magnus is a beast, especially when running it with my OCL ZR0-DTA 5/8-24 direct-thread mount...It really kept the length and weight down. And their mount is perfectly straight and true to bore. I can highly recommend that combo. 👍🏼

POI shift compared to my Nomad-LT (also using an OCL ZR0-DTA mount) was 0.1 MIL up correction, and 0.2 MIL left, at 100 yards. So, not bad at all! Especially considering I was using 2 different suppressors with 2 different OCL ZR0-DTA mounts.

IMG_7825.jpegIMG_7828.jpegIMG_7829.jpegIMG_7832.jpegIMG_7833.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm viscerating on if I should try to get my order changed to get the hub mount on the Magnus or keep it with the CB mount it's been ordered as. Maybe that way I could get to keep some of the cake and eat it too in the length discussion

Reactions: FuhQ
Went and shot the Magnus today for the first time... Wow! It's just as quiet as (maybe slightly quieter than) my Nomad-LT and Hydrogen-L. Hard to tell since I was shooting it on my 16" MPR .308 Win...Which is a loud MF'er anyway. I was not uncomfortable at all shooting it without ear plugs...Just like my Nomad-LT and Hydro-L. I would honestly say, anyone wondering how they stack-up, I'd say you would be happy with any of the 3, and have a hard time distinguishing them apart with the human ear. Bravo TBAC and @TBACRAY ! The Magnus is a beast, especially when running it with my OCL ZR0-DTA 5/8-24 direct-thread mount...It really kept the length and weight down. And their mount is perfectly straight and true to bore. I can highly recommend that combo. 👍🏼

POI shift compared to my Nomad-LT (also using an OCL ZR0-DTA mount) was 0.1 MIL up correction, and 0.2 MIL left, at 100 yards. So, not bad at all! Especially considering I was using 2 different OCL ZR0-DTA mounts.

View attachment 8126631View attachment 8126632View attachment 8126633View attachment 8126634View attachment 8126635
BTW it looks "Very Nice."

Reactions: FuhQ
I had several Gen1 Ultra7's (two 6.5's and one .30) so when the Dominus was introduced I waited until I could get one on silencer shop and then pulled the trigger. less than 6 months later, they come out with the Gen2 Ultra lineup....
Just like when I bought a 223CB, and less than 6 months later they come out the the Ultra7....
I can say that the Dominus CB works so well on a 22" 7SAUM, the elk don't even know it's there...

IMG_1546.jpeg

I had several Gen1 Ultra7's (two 6.5's and one .30) so when the Dominus was introduced I waited until I could get one on silencer shop and then pulled the trigger. less than 6 months later, they come out with the Gen2 Ultra lineup....
Just like when I bought a 223CB, and less than 6 months later they come out the the Ultra7....
I can say that the Dominus CB works so well on a 22" 7SAUM, the elk don't even know it's there...

View attachment 8127450
Man that's cool.

Elk1 to elk2: Hay Stanferd, what happened tew Eloise?

Elk 2 to elk1: I dono Steven, it luks leik she iz taeking a nap...

(Meanwhile: XTREM HTR16 begins unsheathing a very sharp knife)

I'm going backwards compared to you. I've got a Magnus on order and trying to decide between a dominus and a 7...or even 7 vs 9. I want one that is as hearing safe as possible while reducing length and weight as much as possible. When viewing through your scope on hunting rifles does the dominus appear to obstruct your view on the bottom? If you had a suppressor cover on it would it be too much?
I move my cans back and forth across most of my rifles, but the U7 just goes better on my thinner barreled hunting rifles with low powered scopes, as compared to my Dominus, especially when I add mirage covers. Less visible through the scope and just looks more balanced. But I think I like the Dominus better as an overall do-all silencer, I think it’s more versatile. Honestly though I love them both, can’t go wrong with either.

Shown below is a Dominus on my CZ 550.

IMG_3823.jpeg

Last edited:
They're not just for mirage... They can also help camouflage, and protect the finish on the can.

Most people hunt with rifles that have bare stainless barrels - I don't think camouflaging a suppressor is that necessary for hunting.

I can see the argument for added protection. Though I haven't in the past worried about using a suppressor wrap on my suppressor for hunts.

Just because I said it, you immediately have to say the opposite. You sound like the liberals when they lose an argument, and just start calling people "racist" or "bigot" because they have nothing else to refute with and think that it will shut you up, so they can look like they won the argument. 🤣

You must not surf the interwebz much...Because most people (under 40) who hunt with a can these days, use a cover to protect the finish of the can, or reduce reflection from the sun, or to camouflage their suppressor. You really should get out more, as there's more than 1 way to do something, and just because you think it's stupid, doesn't make me wrong.

What do you think cerakote is for?
To protect the metal, and make it whatever color you want it. I'm well aware what Cerakote is for. But you obviously don't know what suppressor covers are for. And it's more than just protecting other things, or yourself, from getting burned by the suppressor. They serve more than 1 role. Why else are ALL of them offered in different camo patterns, colors, etc...Just to look cool?

Yes. That is exactly why they are offered in those colors. Nobody passes a graded stalk because of a can cover. Camouflage and concealment is an act that ttakes a whole lot more than that.
Yeah, I've been hunting before...Pretty much my whole life. I know how camouflage works...

I'm 90-percent certain that dude is in 10th Special Forces Group and has been for a long time.
He might be, and that's cool if he is. But sometimes you have to make jokes because of how stupid some of the conversations get.

Just because someone does something 1 way, doesn't mean that's the only way to do it. But too many folks around here seem to think their way is the only way, and then dogpile anyone who says anything different.