• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me spend somebody else's money.

Get him to spend a few dollars extra and grab a burris xtr3 with the scr mil reticle. Its a excellent scope for the money. Punches above its class
I've got an xtr3 sitting at the lgs waiting for me to pick it up. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Just have to finish this heater job so I can get a break from the seven twelves lifestyle.

But mine is in, wait for it, MOA. 😲

Reactions: T J
While I love .308, I would vote for something like the 6.5 PRC for a new time shooter. .30 cal's have a tendency to be pretty efficient at exploiting our fundamental flaws. The 6.5 PRC can tackle pretty much all NA game, without being punishing at all to shoot.

For rifle, I vote Tikka. I've never used this company, but OM Rifles has some pretty neat looking upgrade packages for the Tikka that may be worth checking out.
The 6.5 prc looks good and isn't terribly expensive to shoot.

Reactions: kthomas
I've got an xtr3 sitting at the lgs waiting for me to pick it up. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Just have to finish this heater job so I can get a break from the seven twelves lifestyle.

Nice. I grabbed a 3x18 from camera land for a ar10 just based off the price. Im totally impressed with it. Been thinking of trying a 5x30 for my vudoo

I think a lot of wounded animals are because of shit shooters that think minute of pie plate is good enough, and take low percentage shots.

Reactions: FWoo45 and kthomas
Nice. I grabbed a 3x18 from camera land for a ar10 just based off the price. Im totally impressed with it. Been thinking of trying a 5x30 for my vudoo
Nobody had a 3-18 with illum when I went to buy one so I ordered through my local guy. Then I waited and waited and waited and it finally came. And I'm on a shutdown. And I'd just sent my winmag to black canyon customs. When it rains it pours. Thank goodness for the shutdown lol.

Reactions: M4orturnate
Buy a good Savage rifle on sale at Cabels/Basspro in whatever Cal he can buy ammo for.
How much is he going to shoot a rifle, no matter what it is?
Put on a Burris 3X9 scope that is cheap and let him start there.
With that he can only go UP. and he hasn't much into it, yet it is a servicable hunting rifle providing he figgered out how to Zero it.
He will have a huntin gun.
Many hunting rifles are in the closet and only shoot less than 100 rds, a year, if that.
If he gets onto that by himself, and wants to shoot, he will soon be here with us and buying Big Bucks shit. He may be that person or he may be the one with 6 boxes of ammo and good for the rest of his life if he is young.
I have 2 6.5 Creedmoors BA and the Savage shoots best. Both have 5x25 Burris XTR II .

I think a lot of wounded animals are because of shit shooters that think minute of pie plate is good enough, and take low percentage shots.
For sure. At the gun club with my grandpa one day and a guy sits down beside us. Banging away at a paper plate on the 100yd range. He starts bragging to a buddy that his trusty 30-30 is good to go. I glance over at his target and it looks like you walked down to about 25yds and blasted it with 00B.

So yeah, that "brush gun" I can shoot through anything mentality wounds a lot of animals.

As far as the optic goes, I'd look at something with a holdover reticle without the tree.
The trijicon credo 4-16 would be an excellent choice. It is SFP, but since the primary purpose is hunting, SFP has advantages

Reactions: XP1K

So are both of mine, they work just fine. Not that there's anything wrong with MILs, just my preference.

There's nothing wrong with having him grab a Tikka in 6.5 or 308, either one is quite capable. Now 6.5PRC.... yes, please.

t

As far as the optic goes, I'd look at something with a holdover reticle without the tree.
The trijicon credo 4-16 would be an excellent choice. It is SFP, but since the primary purpose is hunting, SFP has advantages
Totally forgot about the credo. Great glass for the money. Just put the 2-10x36? On my 308 ar. A pws mk216

My only gripe is the zero stop only gives you one Rev of elavation. In my case about 19 moa.

Totally forgot about the credo. Great glass for the money. Just put the 2-10x36? On my 308 ar. A pws mk216

My only gripe is the zero stop only gives you one Rev of elavation. In my case about 19 moa.
I just picked up the 2.5-15. Zero stop doesn't affect elevation. Very nice glass, turrets are muted, not mushy but not tactile either.
Got mine from Scott at liberty optics. Very happy.
I'm a FFP guy, but I bought this scope for a specific purpose and it is just about perfect for it.

Remington 788 and he can afford a year's hookers and blow...

Just 'sayin!

Sirhr
You took the words right out of my mouth...

20210415_110048.jpg

Reactions: Foul Mike and XP1K
Great and underrated rifle!!!
For some reason I had the del cheapo variety remington on the brain when you mentioned the 788. The one with savage inspired barrel nut, what model was that ?

The 788's I've seen were good rifles. Pretty stout recievers actually.

I actually know where there's two custom built 788's. One is a 7-08ai and the other is a 260ai.

This guy isn't a handloader though so he'd have no interest in that.

Nobody had a 3-18 with illum when I went to buy one so I ordered through my local guy. Then I waited and waited and waited and it finally came. And I'm on a shutdown. And I'd just sent my winmag to black canyon customs. When it rains it pours. Thank goodness for the shutdown lol.
Next time check out @LibertyOptics. He does pretty dang good at getting stuff in.

Oddly enough he did bring this up. I mean if it came down to the 30-30 or a slingshot, I guess I'd take the 30-30

I had an old, probably first or second edition Speer load manual that belonged to my grandfather. Lost it to hurricane Harvey. I rember reading the brief write up on the 30-30 in that book. It said the 30-30 had probably taken more deer than any other cartridge in history. And it had probably accounted for more deer wounded and lost than any other cartridge in history.

I don't think it's entirely the cartridges fault though. I think due to the "brush gun" nature of most rifles in 30-30 a lot of bad shots get made leading to a lot of wounded animals.
I killed my first deer with an 1893 Marlin 30-30 lever action with an octagon barrel. 😄

I was just talking to him and I'm on a 2k budget so money isn't the issue but time is. Trip is planned for sometime in November.

Get a Tikka Superlite in 6.5 creedmoor. I know you said you don't really have much of an affinity for this round, but it has significantly lower recoil, shoots much flatter, and reloads cheaper than a 308. This means that the rifle will be easier for your friend to be proficient with.

I have the above rifle with the credo 2-10 ffp mil on it. It is a FUCKING HAMMER. and it only weighs just over 8 lbs total. It will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 if I am on my game. The 2-10 is easy to use fast up close and at distance thanks to a good FFP reticle.

With a 20 MOA base on the rifle, you will get way more than one Rev out of it. Mine will go way more than one Rev and has more elevation than I will never need.

Any questions, PM me.

I was just talking to him and I'm on a 2k budget so money isn't the issue but time is. Trip is planned for sometime in November.

2k for the rifle AND optics or just for the rifle?

Put him behind a few rifles. Even if he doesn't shoot them, have him dry fire them a few times.

Start with a Savage.
Then a Remington.
Next up Bergara.
Then Tikka.
Then do the Origin.

If he has a 2k rifle budget, then the Origin/Proof/TT primary/Bravo setup is easily done inside of that number.

If it's 2k for the package, then Tikka or Bergara for the win.

Don't forget to do the same with optics. Start with shit and go to the good stuff.
He doesn't need 20-25× on the top end to kill deer or targets at 1k.

Reactions: Foul Mike
And that Seekins would be a top favorite if I was in the market for a hunting rifle under $2k
Ooh I forgot about seekins. I'll run that by him also. As for the budget, he kind of eluded to that being the whole package but I think I can talk him into spending a little more. Buy once cry once as they say.

If you get him behind some good and bad stuff, that should convince him.

Also, if he's new to this and doesn't stick with it, then there's resale value to consider.

Get a Tikka ultralight in something 6mm or 6.5. Then a nx8 2.5-20.

First rifle, first scope, keep it simple.

Leupold 3-9x40. practice enough to know the drop out to 300 yards. Don’t shoot farther than that, he doesn’t have the skills yet and no matter the equipment, you can’t buy your way in.

Simplicity until he gains experience.

Reactions: Foul Mike and XP1K
A guy I work with is looking at going on his first hunting trip (whitetail) and has asked me for advice on his first rifle purchase.

He wants something he can afford to shoot on a regular basis not just hunting so he automatically leaned towards 308 for some reason. I like a 7-08 myself.

My mind went straight to bergara and I know tikka is a popular one here so I thought of that as well but then I thought about a sig cross.

He's not set on a 308 so caliber choices are open and while the manbun makes sense for a new shooter with ammo selection, availability and being relatively easy to shoot, you just won't catch me recommending it.

He's in his early twenties, started his industrial career as a specialty welder so he's got plenty money.

So let's spend his money. What are you guys recommending?

Tell him to get 2 rifles, an AR15 for regular target shooting and then shop gun stores for a used fudd blaster for hunting. I found a 25-06 remington with a japan weaver scope for 500 the other day.

Tell him to get 2 rifles, an AR15 for regular target shooting and then shop gun stores for a used fudd blaster for hunting. I found a 25-06 remington with a japan weaver scope for 500 the other day.
He got himself a nice Wilson combat ar15 during the scamdemic. Asked him about it the other day. Said it's still in the box. Hasn't even put an optic on it yet.

Reactions: UKDslayer and BCP
Central TX and hill country white tail tend to run on the small side, especially with the drought we're having. And usually fairly dense brush unless he's hunting on a lease that has been mowed and have feeders out. Most likely not going to be a clear shot over 150 yds.
A good ole dirty thirty is all I'd need. Plus, everyone should have at least one good lever gun or two ;)

For a minute, from the thread title, I thought perhaps Bernie Sanders or AOC created an account here. A sigh of relief upon reading the contents...

• Haha
For a minute, from the thread title, I thought perhaps Bernie Sanders or AOC created an account here. A sigh of relief upon reading the contents...
they don't need anyone's help, they do that very, very good.