• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Help me to scope this rifle

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
Bought this Kimber Ascent from Diamond Jim (thanks Jim!) as a lightweight walkabout rifle in 308.

Now I need a scope.

Thinking SWFA 6x MQ for general purposes (I have a few looking for a rifle to sit on), but am open to ideas.

I live in eastern Washington where shots can be close in timber to 600 yards or more.

Any recommendations?

I want to keep it light, but form follows function and all that.

I use a Nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42 on my lightweight gun and love it. I hunt mule deer in the Okanogan area and have had no problem with the 10x out to 500yds on deer (furthest I've shot) and 1000yds on steel. It's a pretty good scope that's a little heavier but still not too heavy. The tracking has been 100%

The other scope I was looking at was the Swarovski Z5i 2.4-12x. If it was me I would get a hold over reticle like the BRH.

I use a Nightforce NSX 2.5-10x42 on my lightweight gun and love it. I hunt mule deer in the Okanogan area and have had no problem with the 10x out to 500yds on deer (furthest I've shot) and 1000yds on steel. It's a pretty good scope that's a little heavier but still not too heavy. The tracking has been 100%

The other scope I was looking at was the Swarovski Z5i 2.4-12x. If it was me I would get a hold over reticle like the BRH.
In the same boat as OP, currently looking at the following. Glad to hear a decent use story for the 2-10, cause it’s on my radar. I’m looking at the below for a 18 inch 7-08

NF SHV 3-10
Leupold 2-10
Swarovski Z5i, haven’t decided in mag range but I think I want the 4W reticle with the ballistic turret

Reactions: TanktheFrank
So far I've ran the ATACR 4-16x42, NX8 2.5-20, Vortex LRH, VX5HD 3-15 and 2-10, MK5HD 3.6-18, bushnell DMR, as well as the NXS 2.5-10x42 on my hunting rifles. Out of all of those I kept the NXS 2.5-10x42. It's been the goldilocks for me. I have not had to adjust my zero on that rifle ever when using talley lightweight rings.

(My thoughts, and could verywell be wrong)
I would try a Swarovski but I would choose a holdover reticle so I didn't need to depend on a turret in a lightweight scope. They have to shave weight out somewhere and less material means less durability. Unless they are making up for it with higher quality materials. If they were it would be a marketing point for them and we would all know.

Also since swarovski offers either a 2.4-12 or a 3.5-18 I would go 2.4-12. At game the highest I've ever shot is around 10x because I wanted more FOV. Since the z5i is sfp the reticle would be true at 12x, which is about the most zoom I would want. This doesn't matter if you are going to dial though.

So far I've ran the ATACR 4-16x42, NX8 2.5-20, Vortex LRH, VX5HD 3-15 and 2-10, MK5HD 3.6-18, bushnell DMR, as well as the NXS 2.5-10x42 on my hunting rifles. Out of all of those I kept the NXS 2.5-10x42. It's been the goldilocks for me. I have not had to adjust my zero on that rifle ever when using talley lightweight rings.

(My thoughts, and could verywell be wrong)
I would try a Swarovski but I would choose a holdover reticle so I didn't need to depend on a turret in a lightweight scope. They have to shave weight out somewhere and less material means less durability. Unless they are making up for it with higher quality materials. If they were it would be a marketing point for them and we would all know.

Also since swarovski offers either a 2.4-12 or a 3.5-18 I would go 2.4-12. At game the highest I've ever shot is around 10x because I wanted more FOV. Since the z5i is sfp the reticle would be true at 12x, which is about the most zoom I would want. This doesn't matter if you are going to dial though.
Using the BRX or BRH reticle and then using the Swarovski ballistics tool, you can find a zoom level that will work so that the holdover lines mean yardages. So second line down is 200, third is 300, etc.

Or, and this is what I do, I determine an acceptable point blank zero. For my 280 Ackley, that is 275 yards. This gives me +3" at 175 yards and -3" at 325 yards. For the vast majority of deer hunting I do, that translates into not using a range finder.

Then, using the previously mentioned tool, I find out what the stadia lines represent in yardages at minimum zoom, at the zoom that corresponds to yardages (edit: or mid zoom, which is what I do have on the 280)and then at max zoom. I do go and verify that DOPE. Then I make a card that I laminate and tape to the stock. I can use the LRF, look at the card, change the zoom to what makes sense and hold on the target. It works great and takes no more time than dialing for elevation. Plus my scope remains on zero.

I have lots of other scopes that I dial (NXS, ATACR, NX8, SHV, x5i...) but for a lightweight carry around deer hunting type rifle, this setup is my favorite.

Note that you can do a similar thing with a duplex type reticle with a second focal plane scope.
EDIT to insert link: https://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/system/Settings

Last edited:
Reactions: jbuck88
Using the BRX or BRH reticle and then using the Swarovski ballistics tool, you can find a zoom level that will work so that the holdover lines mean yardages. So second line down is 200, third is 300, etc.

Or, and this is what I do, I determine an acceptable point blank zero. For my 280 Ackley, that is 275 yards. This gives me +3" at 175 yards and -3" at 325 yards. For the vast majority of deer hunting I do, that translates into not using a range finder.

Then, using the previously mentioned tool, I find out what the stadia lines represent in yardages at minimum zoom, at the zoom that corresponds to yardages (edit: or mid zoom, which is what I do have on the 280)and then at max zoom. I do go and verify that DOPE. Then I make a card that I laminate and tape to the stock. I can use the LRF, look at the card, change the zoom to what makes sense and hold on the target. It works great and takes no more time than dialing for elevation. Plus my scope remains on zero.

I have lots of other scopes that I dial (NXS, ATACR, NX8, SHV, x5i...) but for a lightweight carry around deer hunting type rifle, this setup is my favorite.

Note that you can do a similar thing with a duplex type reticle with a second focal plane scope.
EDIT to insert link: https://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/system/Settings

I get that and understand completely.

I have learned to take a KISS approach. Either it's turned all the way up and it's true or FFP. I helped a friend dial his 5-25 sfp scope to 2 different powers because that's what he wanted. It was overly complicated to him. I usually end up loaning my rifle out to 75yo FIL or kids who are 7 and 11 now. Simple is better for me. If I was the only one shooting my rifle that would be a different story.

Reactions: Aftermath
I get that and understand completely.

I have learned to take a KISS approach. Either it's turned all the way up and it's true or FFP. I helped a friend dial his 5-25 sfp scope to 2 different powers because that's what he wanted. It was overly complicated to him. I usually end up loaning my rifle out to 75yo FIL or kids who are 7 and 11 now. Simple is better for me. If I was the only one shooting my rifle that would be a different story.
Well, then that 275 yard zero (in the case of my 280) is about as simple as it can get for those novice or aged shooters of animals. Aim at it and you will kill it out to about 350 yards. If it's farther than that, such shooters should probably reconsider anyway.

I do get it. The majority of our deer are small so I usually try to neck shoot deer. This means I want to know right where my bullet is. This is personal preference and I won't argue with someone else who sights in differently.

This is my wife's deer this year. 345yds and held right on the neck.

I definitely get it. I just bought property here in Oklahoma and the deer are very small. I am going to be trying to get some size on the bucks but unless the neighbors don't stop killing any deer with antlers, I don't have enough land at 110 acres to do much good. I killed 2 does this year, both were about 175 yards away. You can guess where I try to hit them.
IMG_6477.jpeg

IMG_6481.jpeg

IMG_6505.jpeg

Reactions: jbuck88
Last edited:
What do you think about these? Do they come in Mil?

Zeiss makes an excellent scope. I have one on a Kimber Mountain Ascent. The scope you are looking at is Second Focal Plane and MOA and is at a good price point. I think you would not regret that at all.

Zeiss does make a FFP and MIL scope but it's not this model. They are running near $3000 retail.

In the same boat as OP, currently looking at the following. Glad to hear a decent use story for the 2-10, cause it’s on my radar. I’m looking at the below for a 18 inch 7-08

NF SHV 3-10
Leupold 2-10
Swarovski Z5i, haven’t decided in mag range but I think I want the 4W reticle with the ballistic turret
SHV 3-10 has my vote. I've got an MOAR/Adjustable Parallax that has lived on a few rifles but will probably stay on my mod H.

This CA/SHV combo worked very well and I'd like to pick up something similar for '24.
20230923_230005.jpg

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I definitely get it. I just bought property here in Oklahoma and the deer are very small. I am going to be trying to get some size on the bucks but unless the neighbors don't stop killing any deer with antlers, I don't have enough land at 110 acres to do much good. I killed 2 does this year, both were about 175 yards away. You can guess where I try to hit them.View attachment 8310751
View attachment 8310753

View attachment 8310754

Egad, either you're 6'8" with size 15 shoes or those are small does. They don't get massive here in the SE corner, but they give you a little more meat for all of your effort in cleaning. Sorry your neighbors kill everything with antlers, and I hope that you can get some cooperation in herd management. I had a good agreement with our one TX trophy hunting neighbors for a couple years, but they just sold the place to more Texicans, and those people already know how to do it better than everyone here.

Ironically, our one neighbor lady started letting three dudes hunt her 110 acres that is essentially in the middle of our property. 110 is enough to give them travel cover and get some to come in, but it isn't enough to hold bucks of any size. These dudes managed to chase 75% of the deer out and bring all the pigs in. It happens when all you know about hunting involves throwing hundreds of pounds of corn around. That property looks like the surface of the moon now.

Your best bet man is the first two weeks of bow season. Hope you get a hammer this year.

I've used a couple Trijicons, and a Zeiss Conquest 4-16 as well. Neither is going to let you down under 98% of the hunting conditions...maybe you lose 2-3 minutes of hunting light on either side of the sun when compared to glass 2-3x as expensive. Unfortunately, those are the most critical times though.

Egad, either you're 6'8" with size 15 shoes or those are small does. They don't get massive here in the SE corner, but they give you a little more meat for all of your effort in cleaning. Sorry your neighbors kill everything with antlers, and I hope that you can get some cooperation in herd management. I had a good agreement with our one TX trophy hunting neighbors for a couple years, but they just sold the place to more Texicans, and those people already know how to do it better than everyone here.

Ironically, our one neighbor lady started letting three dudes hunt her 110 acres that is essentially in the middle of our property. 110 is enough to give them travel cover and get some to come in, but it isn't enough to hold bucks of any size. These dudes managed to chase 75% of the deer out and bring all the pigs in. It happens when all you know about hunting involves throwing hundreds of pounds of corn around. That property looks like the surface of the moon now.

Your best bet man is the first two weeks of bow season. Hope you get a hammer this year.
WELL, you know what they say about guys that have big feet....

I'm in Haskell County. Those were both pretty small does. I don't really care too much about a trophy. I've killed trophy's and not a single one of them had meat that was fit for a dog. Even a big, old doe will have crappy meat. As you know, we can kill quite a few does every season and 2 more over the Holidays. I think 6 or 8 total deer. I'll get the wife to shoot deer next year and we are going to thin the doe population.

I mean, I want the bucks to get bigger and promote those genetics and then harvest one once in a while as he gets old but hanging a head on the wall is not a goal I'm chasing. Anymore.

Archery, my old nemesis. I was once into archery very heavy.Then I damaged the right shoulder 3 times and then rotator cuff surgery where they had to trim bone to make room for the new shorter tendon. I will never have full motion there again. I pretty much have the strength but a few draws and I'm hurting for a week or more. Maybe I can get a crossbow permit.

BUT....I don't really want to spend money that way when I have many thousands of dollars invested in just the optics I have for the firebreathers.

WELL, you know what they say about guys that have big feet....

I'm in Haskell County. Those were both pretty small does. I don't really care too much about a trophy. I've killed trophy's and not a single one of them had meat that was fit for a dog. Even a big, old doe will have crappy meat. As you know, we can kill quite a few does every season and 2 more over the Holidays. I think 6 or 8 total deer. I'll get the wife to shoot deer next year and we are going to thin the doe population.

I mean, I want the bucks to get bigger and promote those genetics and then harvest one once in a while as he gets old but hanging a head on the wall is not a goal I'm chasing. Anymore.

Archery, my old nemesis. I was once into archery very heavy.Then I damaged the right shoulder 3 times and then rotator cuff surgery where they had to trim bone to make room for the new shorter tendon. I will never have full motion there again. I pretty much have the strength but a few draws and I'm hurting for a week or more. Maybe I can get a crossbow permit.

BUT....I don't really want to spend money that way when I have many thousands of dollars invested in just the optics I have for the firebreathers.

So about an hour and a half north of me.

No crossbow permit needed here man, you're good. My shoulders are both shot too, so I use one. Almost like cheating...almost.

So about an hour and a half north of me.

No crossbow permit needed here man, you're good. My shoulders are both shot too, so I use one. Almost like cheating...almost.
Right on.
Some of my not that distant ancestors were from Swink, OK. HAHAHA!! THAT'S a small town. Have to stay in touch, maybe go launch some projectiles some time.

Reactions: diggler1833