• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft help me understand the range in shooting

Sam09

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
United Kingdom
what does knowing the range of your target have to do with the settings on your scope, in order to get an accurate hit?

Re: help me understand the range in shooting

Nothing, if your bullet has no drop to it before it gets to your target.
Setting a scope is so old school, use the retical, or call Tac Air or Arty, make them do something for a change.

yes, you precisely answered your own quenstion.....the knobs are on the scopes so you can turn them.

Bullets dont travel in a straight line. They make an arc, of sorts. After a certain point, gravity (and other physics shit too) takes over and the bullet starts losing speed and starts dropping toward the ground. To combat that, and hit what youre aiming at, you adjust your sight picture using your scope's reticle. You aim "over" the target (aka "holdover), and (for lack of a better term, "lob" the round into the target. You can also adjust those cool little knobs on the scope and achieve the same effect.

This is my fast version to this.

those cool knobs are just for looks. if your having trubble hitting yer target its broken and you can ship it to me cuz i like to tinker with broken rifles with prety knob having scope thingys on them.

Shadow09 use the search function go to the advanced part and set the date back some (it,ll only let you go back 2 years). I know you are asking a question you may need help with put it's so low level folks are going to hound you some. Just keep a thick skin and let it roll off.

I take it from the question you don't understand how to zero a scope in, if so you do understand that the knobs move the crosshairs in the scope. After you get the scope zeroed at the distance you want reset you knobs. There should be some directions with the scope if not look it up on the manuf.'s website if you need call there service. Now you have your zero and you want to shoot at a target farther out than the zero of your rifle. You either holdover or you know that the bullet will drop 4" at the target you are now shooting at you would put 16 clicks or 4 moa of up into your scope to set the elevation. That is if it's a 1/4" at 100 yards setup for the scope.

Put you really need to do a bunch of reading and get some understanding of the equipment you have.