• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help me upgrade my priming

Which priming tool?

• Frankford Arsenal Platinum

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • 21 Century

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Something else (please post in comments

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

FNG1001

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2022
USA
Looking to up my reloading game. Been priming on my Forster Coax. It's slow, and when switching between SRP and LRP, its even slower. I haven't had any issues, but always looking to see if there are better ways to do thing.

I've been looking into either the Frankford Arsenal Platinum (pros: handheld, primer tray, adjustable depth), the 21 century (pros: all their products are great, adjustable depth, con: single primer), and primal rights CPS (pros: seems to the be cadillac of solutions, adjustable depth, cons: not handheld).

What is everyone else using and, more importantly, what/which do you recommend?

When you say Coax are you meaning on the press, or the Forster priming tool?

I have been using the Forster Priming tool and personally I like it. Not saying there might not be better options out there by any means.

When you say Coax are you meaning on the press, or the Forster priming tool?

I have been using the Forster Priming tool and personally I like it. Not saying there might not be better options out there by any means.

The press

Well my vote is for their priming tool. The stuff I like about it is that it's adjustable for whatever case you are using (ie no specific shell holders etc) but most importantly the primer tubes are very easy to load up. The most time consuming part of the whole thing is picking up primers one by one. With that, you pretty much can just dump them in and go. (not quite that easy, but much easier than the round tube designs)

personally I'll stick to the cheap pot metal rcbs hand primer at least till someone make one from aluminum or stainless reasonable priced and not complicated to use . maybe 100 dollars while more than the cheap one , but far less than that 600 dollar table top primer . best of luck with what ever you decide to get .

The CPS is the tits.

I hate handheld priming tools - they are a pain to use for anything more than 100 rounds, IMO. Or at least my K&M hand primer was.

The CPS was a huge upgrade just for the comfort. It's what I call a 'luxury' reloading item - very well made, well thought design and features, with the price to match, but not necessary to make great ammo.

If you can afford it, the CPS is awesome. If you are on a budget, look into one of the better hand primers.

Reactions: HemiPowrd
I really like this one.

Yep. That's the one.

Like I said, their primer tubes are super easy to load up. I can load the tube and be halfway done priming before I could even load the tubes on my old RCBS Bench Primer.

With the RCBS over time the tubes will bend as well. The tubes reciprocate and like I said, they will bend with normal use.

With the Forster there is no such hassle. Just quick and easy to use.

I messed with the Forester primer and it was so bad that it threw it away rather than selling it to another unsuspecting user. I then jumped to the RCBS auto priming tool which was nice. It worked well and was compatible with the Inline Fabrication quick mount system. I then spent too much time on Sniper's Hide and fell victim to gear acquisition syndrome and got a Primal Rights CPS. My only regret about the CPS is that I wish it had a rev counter so I could quickly swap between cartridges without fiddling around with depth measurements.

I messed with the Forester primer and it was so bad that it threw it away rather than selling it to another unsuspecting user. I then jumped to the RCBS auto priming tool which was nice. It worked well and was compatible with the Inline Fabrication quick mount system. I then spent too much time on Sniper's Hide and fell victim to gear acquisition syndrome and got a Primal Rights CPS. My only regret about the CPS is that I wish it had a rev counter so I could quickly swap between cartridges without fiddling around with depth measurements.
I had an opposite experience, well sort of. The RCBS got the job done but over time it's way more hassle IMO.

As stated above, with long term use, the tubes on the RCBS will bend. Also the tips wear out. Not to mention you have to pick up primers one by one to load the thing. With the Forster the 'tube' is a rectangle and with the little 3D printed tray you shuffle the primers until they are oriented right then just dump them in vs orienting them right then picking them up one by one with the plastic tip on the tube.

If there was another reasonable way to charge the tubes up with primers it would be a bit more viable IMO, but even then the Forster has worked a lot better for me. That tube flopping back and forth has led to more problems for me than I have ever had with the Forster.

The Forster Primer Seater is also most definitely also 'compatible' with the Inline Fabrication QD system. Go to the drop down menu and selection option #100.

1684290386546.png

Reactions: DubfromGA
I too have been priming on a coax for the last three years. Tedious but not the worst. It’s the only thing I’ve ever used for priming though. I did finally bite the bullet (no pun intended) and bought a CPS finally after ogling over them for quite some time.

It’ll be here tomorrow but with the 5 cases I’ve primed on one, it’ll be worth the money if it is time saved.

Reactions: kthomas
You didn't mention how many you prime at a sitting. I had a 21st century, and while its a beautiful piece of equipment, it made my hands sore doing 100+ at a go. Swapped for a CPS when they offered a SH discount on a whim, the reduced effort and increased speed is worth it. I much prefer bench mounted with more leverage.

The big time saver for primer tools with feeding tubes is the DAA primer filler. The square handheld one, not the ticking one. Get that thing angled just right and its a huge time saver.

Reactions: kthomas and Franko
You didn't mention how many you prime at a sitting. I had a 21st century, and while its a beautiful piece of equipment, it made my hands sore doing 100+ at a go. Swapped for a CPS when they offered a SH discount on a whim, the reduced effort and increased speed is worth it. I much prefer bench mounted with more leverage.

The big time saver for primer tools with feeding tubes is the DAA primer filler. The square handheld one, not the ticking one. Get that thing angled just right and its a huge time saver.
I mostly work in batches of 100. Agreed with 21st Century. Very well made tools, and great customer service.

Handhelds are appealing because i can prime anywhere with them.

I mostly work in batches of 100. Agreed with 21st Century. Very well made tools, and great customer service.

Handhelds are appealing because i can prime anywhere with them.

You can mount bench mounted primers to portable benches.

My CPS is mounted to a C4M3RON portable bench, so I can prime wherever.

Depending on the volume you shoot id avoid a hand primer.

My k&m kills my hand after a hundred or so rounds. 400 rounds made my middle finger go numb for a month.

Reactions: kthomas