• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help needed with this folks

cr4zy3y3s

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
Uk. Somerset
i have had my rem 700 now since february and have cleaned it routinely after every shoot and a good brush out clean every 15-20 rounds. i recently purchased some PRIVI PARTIZAN in 55gr soft points and put 5 rounds through the rifle at a target, i went home after and stripped down to clean and noticed this on my crown ! it won't clean off with just normal light cleaner and cloth and what appears to be indents into the crown. this wasn't there before i used the soft points.. so my question is this barrel pitted and now screwed due to the ammo ???

a few pics of it

like i said any info on this would be greatly appreciated but i can't understand how these marks have appeared when i cleaned it regularly after each outing to remove any powder residue and then after 15-20 rounds its had a nylon brush and patch clean.

is my barrel now heading for the tip ??

kindest regards

max...

Yep..it's done... Send it to me for proper disposal.

Seriously -- have you shot it yet after noticing this? Doubtful anything has changed in the accuracy....

Yep..it's done... Send it to me for proper disposal.

Seriously -- have you shot it yet after noticing this? Doubtful anything has changed in the accuracy....

i shot it the other day and drilled a bunny at 186yds through the head but i am worried that the barrel will become worse. i cannot understand how 5 rounds of ammo can do this within 6 hours from shot to clean ??

i may just go back to the RFD and ask him WTF

You clean after every 15-20 rds?? Stop cleaning it start shooting it... Find something else to worry about.

Looks like some blowby at the last 1/2" of the bore, might be slightly enlarged. From too much brushing? If the accuracy goes downhill, just recrown back 1/2" and keep shooting. PRVI jackets might be harder than other brands--check with a magnet, see if they're plated steel. I stick with non-steel jacketed to keep wear down--some euro ammo is steel plated jacketed.

I'm betting those aren't pits, but little stuck on flakes of carbon that can be scraped off. You won't damage the crown. I think you are worrying too much about keeping it clean and pristine. They're not that sensitive.

Cheers guys, its cleaned every outing with just a patch through to remove any powder residue. The bits in the barrel are bits from the ammo (fired earlier). So long as its nothing to worry over as I'm used to military rifle systems and wouldn't bat an eyelid over this but seen as this is my pride an joy its a different matter :)

Kindest regards

Max...

"and have cleaned it routinely after every shoot and a good brush out clean every 15-20 rounds"

#1.. you clean WAY to much... seriously... try going 500+ before cleaning...

" appears to be indents into the crown"

#2.. your crown is fine... the only part that matters is the 1mm at the edge of the rifling...

"and have cleaned it routinely after every shoot and a good brush out clean every 15-20 rounds"

#1.. you clean WAY to much... seriously... try going 500+ before cleaning...

" appears to be indents into the crown"

#2.. your crown is fine... the only part that matters is the 1mm at the edge of the rifling...

Cheers Ring much appreciated.

Lol guys remember I don't shoot targets this is a hunting rig and it 15 -20rounds could be two- three weeks worth or ammo.

Atvbr

Max...

if really this is your Pride and Joy, we have here the lesson I've hard-way learned a bunch of time ago:
buy quality ammos, or handload, but I try my best to stay well away from ALL former combloc related or excessively cheap local stuff_
In all the humblety of my own budget limits, I'm good enough to shoot poorly and/or wear my P & J's without
the help of "this" kind of hardware_
You can bet that, even if often I'm joking, this time I'm deadly serious_

Last edited: