• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Borescope diagnosing

YamaS3rider

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2023
Hello, here is what the bore looks like after non-abrasive cleaning or brush use. It is a 6mm BR with moderate loads and a custom, hand-lapped stainless steel barrel .900" at the muzzle and 26" long. I broke the barrel in with the 1 shot, clean, 2 shot, clean, etc. and clean it with Wipe Out or Boretech eliminator every 30-35 rounds. The first picture is just where the lands start (no carbon ring noted), the 2nd is about 13-14" mark and the last about the 20" mark. I'm assuming this is carbon fouling. If it is, I may try CLR as the other two failed. Thanks,

Attachments

• ahead of chamber.JPG
    ahead of chamber.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 160
  • carbon2.JPG
    carbon2.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 156
  • carbon1.JPG
    carbon1.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 157
If the rifle is accurate don't fuck with it.
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel that shoots beautifully but the bore looks way darker than that.

Reactions: YamaS3rider
Hello, here is what the bore looks like after non-abrasive cleaning or brush use. It is a 6mm BR with moderate loads and a custom, hand-lapped stainless steel barrel .900" at the muzzle and 26" long. I broke the barrel in with the 1 shot, clean, 2 shot, clean, etc. and clean it with Wipe Out or Boretech eliminator every 30-35 rounds. The first picture is just where the lands start (no carbon ring noted), the 2nd is about 13-14" mark and the last about the 20" mark. I'm assuming this is carbon fouling. If it is, I may try CLR as the other two failed. Thanks,
I don’t see a problem with that level of cleaning and believe you are jumping a bit at shadows.

I know right...my Tikka T3x UPR in 6.5 has scratches and a few gouges and it shoots just fine.

A good rule is to leave that damn thing in the closet unless you are seeing real accuracy or consistency issues lol

or...if you are the mind type that likes to investigate for details, then take a purely observational view. That is, NOTHING you see on that camera implies or means anything as far as shooting goes. As long as the rifle remains accurate and consistent, then your viewpoint remains observational only.

What is the question in this thread? What are you trying to accomplish with all of this cleaning? What is the use case for this rifle? Is this a cleaning schedule that is in line with the use?

If you want to get the carbon out of the land corners. Follow your current cleaning method with bronze brushes and a cleaner like Ed's Red, Hoppes or any other that isn't a copper cleaning solution. If the bore starts to get rough feeling, usually between 5-600 rounds hit it lightly with JB bore paste to smooth it out.

Lightly with the bore paste, scrub the crap out of it with bronze brushes. If the barrel has a little color, that's fine, if you can see rough chunks scrub them out. Don't try to make it shine like a new barrel.

You can work yourself to death trying to clean your barrel, don't. Find a happy medium place that you are happy with and stop. Barrel should feel smooth when you patch it out.

Moderate cleaning more frequently is better than never cleaning or deep, invasive cleaning infrequently. My goal when cleaning isn't to eliminate all carbon and copper, it's to eliminate excessive carbon and copper and return the barrel to generally clean or mostly clean state. I totally expect to see some carbon remaining. Trying to get all remnants will likely cause you to get invasive and potentially damage the barrel, when it won't have any positive affect on accuracy.

What is the question in this thread? What are you trying to accomplish with all of this cleaning? What is the use case for this rifle? Is this a cleaning schedule that is in line with the use?
I've gathered there are 3 schools of thought on the subject, 1) clean to bare metal every time, 2) clean in moderation and 3) rarely or never clean. I think I'll pick 2. The photos were included to show even a custom, hand-lapped barrel with <200 rounds, broken in w/1-shot, clean, 2-shots, clean, etc and then cleaned after every 30-35 rounds, can still look kind of crummy despite use of products that "remove copper and carbon" but evidently not completely.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Got the borescope out. Searched for results. Going to step away from the thing. No carbon ring. Grooves a little dark, patches come out clean which is where I always stopped before.