• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help newbie pick first bag

grapo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 19, 2020
Have been doing some research on on shooting bags and feeling overwhelmed. Have a Bergara b14r on the way and will primarily shoot from prone with bipod and rear bag or from a bench, though would like the option of using it as a front bag if possible. My question is this is it reasonable to try serve both of these with one bag, something like a precision underground or game changer or would I be best off buying one a specific rear bag and front bag? Opinions and recommendations are much appreciated thanks!

just Bought a Gamechanger so not much feedback on that yet but bought it because it seems pretty much like a do it all and highly recommend on the hide. I have been using and enjoying for years a triad wedgie and little wedgie also have a home made bag very similar to a 3D elr bag and it’s very useful.

Have a Cole-Tac waxed woobie bag. Can't imagine anything better. I bought a more traditional style Cole-Tac boss bag but it's just not as good.

Ask to try different bags at range. Pretty hard to go wrong with any of the Gamechanger bags. Gamechanger is an excellent rear bag.

No weight requirement I’d go gamecharger. Otherwise a lot of people like the precision underground bags

I have a tab str8 lace bag and it has helped me shoot the tiniest groups I’ve ever shot with a 22 and and 6mm. Highly recommend. I also have a sticky game changer too now and used it yesterday to see how it worked and it worked great. Depends on your budget. The precision underground bags have great reviews too tho.

I have a tab str8 lace bag and it has helped me shoot the tiniest groups I’ve ever shot with a 22 and and 6mm. Highly recommend. I also have a sticky game changer too now and used it yesterday to see how it worked and it worked great. Depends on your budget. The precision underground bags have great reviews too tho.
Love the str8 lace bag when it’s new but the filling breaks down super fast and then it’s worthless

Love the str8 lace bag when it’s new but the filling breaks down super fast and then it’s worthless
I’m the opposite. It was a pain to use at first for me but as it broke down, I could adjust the firmness with the laces easier I felt.

I have a whole pile of bags I don't use anymore. I have one bag I still use. I have a pint size waxed canvas game changer. It's my front bag. My rear bag. I even use it for load development off a bench as rear bag. I have ordered a Shmedium game changer to try out. But you could use the pint size that covers 95 percent of all situations where you use a bag for a shooting aid and 85 percent of the time it will be the best option

Have a Cole-Tac waxed woobie bag. Can't imagine anything better. I bought a more traditional style Cole-Tac boss bag but it's just not as good.

I bought the boss bag but curious to try out the woobie bag. How low does it collapse down to? I usually run my bags horizontally since the vertical way is way too high for me when I'm shooting in prone.

Have been doing some research on on shooting bags and feeling overwhelmed. Have a Bergara b14r on the way and will primarily shoot from prone with bipod and rear bag or from a bench, though would like the option of using it as a front bag if possible. My question is this is it reasonable to try serve both of these with one bag, something like a precision underground or game changer or would I be best off buying one a specific rear bag and front bag? Opinions and recommendations are much appreciated thanks!

PU stuff has all been fantastic and they're a major hide supporter!

I have a whole pile of bags I don't use anymore. I have one bag I still use. I have a pint size waxed canvas game changer. It's my front bag. My rear bag. I even use it for load development off a bench as rear bag. I have ordered a Shmedium game changer to try out. But you could use the pint size that covers 95 percent of all situations where you use a bag for a shooting aid and 85 percent of the time it will be the best option
I also have a pile of bags. I can not understand how you would use a GameChanger for a rear bag. I just don't get how you would squeeze it to adjust elevation. I mostly use my Precision Underground ELR bag for a rear bag. BTW, I'm just an old fart shooting off a bench or prone, by myself, not on a clock, etc.
The only thing I use my GC for is to lay on for long prone sessions. I get how it would be great on tank traps and barricades but it's a mystery to me how it works for a rear bag with a bipod.

Ive found positional bags can be used as a rear bag. Ive also found if im doing load development or shooting for groups my accuracy is more repeatable with a simple dedicated rear bag, Tab and Prescision Underground both serve me well.

Frank has an excelent video in the training section on this topic. If your just getting started id buy a tab rear bag and then see if you can test out positional bags at the range or matches to decide what to get. Lots of choices and beauty is in the eye of the user.

bags are like pistol holsters...If youve been doing this for a while you will have a box of them that you tried and just didnt work out for some reason.

I am pretty new to PRS and purchased a schmedium game changer, so with that said, I can’t give much feedback.
Take it with a grain of salt....or not. I recently shot my second match and my bag was used more often than any other bag in our squad, by far!

Reactions: Mxridr
I also have a pile of bags. I can not understand how you would use a GameChanger for a rear bag. I just don't get how you would squeeze it to adjust elevation. I mostly use my Precision Underground ELR bag for a rear bag. BTW, I'm just an old fart shooting off a bench or prone, by myself, not on a clock, etc.
The only thing I use my GC for is to lay on for long prone sessions. I get how it would be great on tank traps and barricades but it's a mystery to me how it works for a rear bag with a bipod.
Pretty simple I sit it upright then put my had around it and squeeze

Pretty simple I sit it upright then put my had around it and squeeze
I just use it with the ears facing up. Stock goes between the ears and I squeeze the stock and one of the ears at the same time. I don’t know if it’s the right way to use it but it works for me.

I just use it with the ears facing up. Stock goes between the ears and I squeeze the stock and one of the ears at the same time. I don’t know if it’s the right way to use it but it works for me.
Clearly there isn't a right and wrong way to use most bags it's what works for you and your shooting position. I would find that way too close to the ground but I also find most dedicated rear bags not very stable compared to a waxed canvas pint size game changer

We appreciate all the love! We have a lot of guys ask about a rear bag with the thought of “maybe” using it up front every now and then. My advice would be this... if you plan on using it as a rear bag 90% of the time get a dedicated rear bag. If you are for sure planning on getting into barricade shooting you will need something there but IMO there’s no reason to haul a big barricade bag around if you are using it as a rear bag 90% of the time. Also I would say using a designed rear bag is better to learn fundamentals on if you are just getting into precision rifle. If your stock is buried in a huge bag all day you aren’t learning a lot fundamentally IMO. We’d be happy to set you up and have a money back guarantee so it’s a low risk investment!

Reactions: 1911hombre
Fundamentals are important. Think that went out the door. 25+ # rifles 6mm, free recoil, tripods.

You dont need dedicated rear bag. Shot this with Harris and a Gamechanger yesterday

Attachments

• 445D4F59-0623-4187-BB63-0638D844978E.jpeg
    445D4F59-0623-4187-BB63-0638D844978E.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 35
If you’re going to do serious prone shooting with a bipod, a dedicated rear bag is good to have. Double duty is usually best idea in a match setting where you have to carry your gear around.

Rear bag: straight laced or RO rear bag

Front/double duty bag: WieBad WC mini cookie or the schmedium gamechanger

I don’t run any of that. I agree totally. Still run 6.5mm

Here’s a buddy of mine using a precision underground bag as a front rest to bang steel at 1050 yards.
3E628B0C-BB32-458C-8651-7F1769375E59.jpeg
I Now I have a 3D ELR bag with light fill and I think it will be an excellent multi use bag for my uses.

Your first bag is like your first lay. It's exciting, it opens up a new world to you but once you figure out how you like to get it done, it's unlikely it'll be your last bag.

Just don't call your bags by the names of your other bags. Damn but do they hate that shit...

Fundamentals are important. Think that went out the door. 25+ # rifles 6mm, free recoil, tripods.
Ehh. Guys can throw fundamentals out the door if they want but I'll keep mine. If you only shoot small calibers with a brake you'll be fine with no fundamentals; or you'll probably think that you have great fundamentals (see the IG snipers who make recoil control videos with a braked 6mm). Get on a large caliber and you'll know real quick how good your fundamentals are!