• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes help on decision, Hensoldt 4-16x56 or S&B 4-16x50?

icarus

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2010
Norway
Hi!
Need some help on choosing a new scope. The Hensoldt 4-16x56FF or S&B 4-16x50.
Or maybe the 3-12x in same brands?

I`ve got a good offer on both, and will end up about the same price irrespective of which one i choose.

Heard some people saying the optics is better in hensoldt, and that S&B sold out their engineer staff to some other optronics company a few years ago, and as a result the quality on their scopes can vary more??

The scope is for a remington 700, cal.308. Hunting everything from deer, reindeer to seals and varmints... also som target shooting, but seldom more than 700 yards..

If anyone have any personal experience, especially with the hensoldt, please help me out:))

Great forum by the way!!

Re: help on decision, Hensoldt 4-16x56 or S&B 4-16x50?

Where are yo located? Someone in your area might be nice enough to let you look through there's.

I'd be inclined to say Hendsoldt. The only drawback is I believe they only offer a mildot reticle. If you'd like a different reticle, you'll have to go with S&B. My other concern is that if it is for a hunting rig, I'd want a SFP scope. The reticle on a FFP is just too small to use in low light on the lowest magnification.

I'd be inclined to say Hendsoldt. The only drawback is I believe they only offer a mildot reticle. If you'd like a different reticle, you'll have to go with S&B. My other concern is that if it is for a hunting rig, I'd want a SFP scope. The reticle on a FFP is just too small to use in low light on the lowest magnification.

Hensoldt!

I've got two, Mac37 here has a S&B 4-16 and just got a Hensoldt, he's already talking about selling the S&B to fund another Hensoldt.

I really like the P4 reticle that S&B has but Hensoldt is coming out with a new reticle that is awesome. Contact Hudisco and find out when it comes out. If its soon I'd get the Hensoldt otherwise get the S&B. I know there are guys on here that have both, I wonder what they think.

really its a win win. the only hard thing for me with the hensoldt is the cw knobs only. i am so accustomed to ccw. but seriously they are both so good you will be happy either way.

Re: help on decision, Hensoldt 4-16x56 or S&B 4-16

Thanks for inputs!
Finally decided on the hensoldt 4-16x56FF with standard mil dot. Also ordered the near mfg alphamount. Sweet
wink.gif

So now my wallet is pretty near empty, but I´ve still got a big grin on my face!

Can`t wait for the candies to arrive:) Neighbors think I`m crazy, checking the mailbox constantly
grin.gif

Contact Hudisco (user name) Nate is a great guy and will give you the info about the Hensoldt spoces you have in mind. I've been luckly enough to get to shoot with him and the Hensoldt line of product are top notch you will not be disappointed with them.

I run both scopes...My thoughts,

Optics..Very close...slight edge Hensoldt
Turrets..Hensoldt
Eye box..Hensoldt
Size...Hensoldt. Ultra compact.
Parallax..Hensoldt(more ergonomic)
Lit reticle..S&B, better on-off system.Hensoldt tends to turn itself on in while I'm carrying the rifle in a drag bag. I do like the position of the lit reticle on the Hensoldt better as it allows a farther ring split on the main tube.

I'll post up a few pics...

At that level of quality, you're really spliting hairs as to which one will be better for your particular application. I'd love to own either one of those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hensoldt!

I've got two, Mac37 here has a S&B 4-16 and just got a Hensoldt, he's already talking about selling the S&B to fund another Hensoldt. </div></div>

+2. I have no real experience with S&B, but I just got a Hensoldt 6-24x56. I must say that it is a damn clear piece of glass, and built just as strong as my NXSs. Very very excellent scope, even for the cash. You cannot go wrong with one if you can swing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be inclined to say Hendsoldt. The only drawback is I believe they only offer a mildot reticle. If you'd like a different reticle, you'll have to go with S&B. My other concern is that if it is for a hunting rig, I'd want a SFP scope. The reticle on a FFP is just too small to use in low light on the lowest magnification.

</div></div>

My 6-24 is SFP. I prefer SFP for target shooting. The mildot reticle is outstanding, bc the dots are hollow.

Why don't you buy the new S&B PMII 3-20X50 and they have added two new reticle options!

PGS has great input. Between those two options, having looked through both, to "my eyes" the hensoldt had the most forgiving eye relief and clearest glass. I think you would be very happy with either, but for the same price if I were in that market, the hensoldt would be the one.