• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help preparing for first PRS event (Sheepdog)

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
tl;dr: What do I need to bring to my first match, and what to do on arrival?

Its been a long time since I've focused on my rifles. Since the day my wife told me I was going to be a daddy, I lost the bug to collect guns and instead enjoy the ones I have. I started shooting IDPA monthly with my carry gun, its not as "competitive" shooting a 45cal subcompact but I don't care, I'm having a blast and getting more trigger time with my carry gun.

I've decided that I am going to travel down to sheepdog in June and try one of their monthly matches, but they don't have a "beginners guide" up that tells me what to expect, what to bring, and what to do once I get there.

For example: In IDPA I know I need a holster, a gun case to bring empty gun to safety table where I gear up unloaded, and X amount of mags per division.

About 8 years ago, I shot a PRS1 class with long rifles inc. There I needed a case to bring the rifle between stages, a mat, and a rear bag. For sheepdog I am assuming I will bring my eberlstock pack to keep the rifle in between stages, and 100+ rounds, a read bag, and DOPE cards/info. Beyond that I am not sure what else I will need.

How do shooters range their targets? If you have to estimate distance, do they tell you the size of the targets? For most PRS matches, will each stage specify a round count?

I am going to be running a remington 700P with a leupold 10x mil/moa. I know this is going to be rough, but I don't mind I would rather have fun.

I am shooting at Sheepdog match next month. First one there.
Apart from 100 rounds, I got my Kestrel, few Armageddon gear bags, dope cards, mat (not sure if I get to use it) etc

Targets are known distance, otherwise it will take too long to measure thru the scope & the first squad who shoots it will pass it on to the other squads.
Round count is known before the stage.

If its a PRS style match, the stage description will tell you the target range(s), round count, points possible, time limit, and a description of how to shoot the stage. This will be very similar to an IDPA stage. Round count per stage will likely be 8-12 rounds. Stage time in my area is usually 90-120 seconds. Most guys will have a laser range finder, but the stage description should be accurate. I use to bring a shooting mat, but it's to much hassle. Just one more thing to keep track of and carry.

As for moving between stages, you want your gear to be easy to put away and easy to get out. I see a lot of guys hook their bi-pod over their shoulder and carry the gun muzzle up. It's a big no-no at my ranges to carry your gun suitcase style because you will flag everyone. Most of the ranges I shoot at we are walking 10-30 yards between stages. Once you get to a stage you will likely have to stage your gun on the firing line next to the prop with the muzzle down range. It will go back there when you are done shooting. You can make scope adjustments here before it's your turn to shoot. You will likely be required to have a chamber flag in at all times until you are on the line and can load and make ready.

Most guys have a tripod with a spotting scope or binos. They use this as a work area to set their gear, find the targets, make their range card, spot shots, or what ever else they need to do.

As for getting to the match, pretty much everything I need is packed and ready to go the night before. About all I need to do before the match starts is take my gun out of the soft case, put my knee pads on, and get my ear pro out. There will be a safety meeting before the match starts. They will usually read off the squad list and what stage you start on. Get with the match director before the safety meeting and tell them you are new and they will try to put you in a squad with some experienced guys.

Here is a list of what I bring:
Rifle
Mag style chamber flag
Ammo (in an ammo novel)
1x 10 round mag
1x 12 round mag
Mag holster for my belt
Wiebad tater tot
Harris bi-pod
Tripod
Bushnell binos
Kestrel w/ 4DOF
Short Action Precision Kestrel holster attached to tripod
Wrist coach w/ index cards
Pens/pencils
Cole-tac play book
Sig Kilo 3000 LRF
Wind flag on my tripod
Mesh bottom bag to hold empty brass
Sun screen
Chap stick
Spare batteries for LRF and Kestrel
Direct Action Dragon Egg pack
Pants with built in knee pads
Water
Snacks

Some of this stuff isn't needed for your first time, but I would highly suggest you have some kind of spotting scope or binos to see whats going on down range. Finding targets with your rifle scope isn't practical and bumming off someone else gets old.

What do I need to bring to my first match, and what to do on arrival?

Bring: Bipod, 10 round magazine, rifle with a good zero, known and confirmed drop data out to distance, some sort of shooting bag that can function as a rear bag and as a bag to rest the rifle on a barricade for positional shooting (a bag like a Gamechanger is a popular choice), and ammo (usually 100 for a one day match is enough, 120 rounds to be on the safe side).

The match should give you ranges for each target, will tell you the round count and specific shooting order for each stage, usually printed for you in a "course of fire" booklet or page. Someone in your squad will let you look through their optics to locate where all the targets are downrange at each stage.

What to do on arrival: Find the match director or whoever is handling check-in, let them know you are a new shooter. Check-in for the match, get a printed course of fire. If you haven't already squadded on practiscore when pre-registering, I would ask the match director if they can put you in a squad with a more experienced shooter to help show you the ropes. Ideally you would reach out to the match director in advance of the match to see if there's anything specific you need to do as a first time shooter and how the registration process works. On the morning of the match, get there early enough to find out what stage you are supposed to be starting on (often your squad number) and see if you can locate where that stage is going to be. Usually there will be a pre-match safety brief with any last minute details, then everyone disperses to their starting stage. Meet your squad mates and have a fun day!

Rifle
Bipod
Ammo
Velocity and correct data in a ballistic solver (ballistic arc is my preference)

Don't worry about bags. There will be $10k worth of them there

Open mind

You're gonna get your ass kicked

Ask questions
Watch others shoot and notice positions
Ask for positional coaching on the clock(not wind calls unless prone because your wobble is gonna be bad)

See ya there

Reactions: TwistedOneinSeven
Here in CenTex at the TX Precision club matches everyone helps - we were all new to this at one point or another. Like stated above, tell the MD you're new or haven't done this in a long time. They can probably squad you with a good group of people that will loan you bags to try, let you use their binos, give you tips and tricks.

Rifle
Bipod
Scope that tracks well
Ammo
And like @b6graham said, velocity and correct data in a ballistic solver - Ballistic ARC is a good one (on your phone). You can get DA/wind from one of the 80 people with Kestrels that are out there.

Reactions: TEXFIRE%$&
The best thing you can bring is an "I'm here to learn" attitude.
I’ve shot 5 matches now and this May be the best advice I’ve heard. My nerves were crazy 1st match 1st stage. I wanted one impact and then I was there to have fun and learn. Ended up a great day. Met great people all willing to share gear and more important their knowledge and kindness. Hooked is an understatement for me now with this sport. Love it.

I usually bring pretzels for the squad...squad pretzels.

In addition to what is said - Notepad!!

Take notes on each course, what you learned and what you can work to improve. You can list each score vs rounds shot, whether you timed out, etc. Ask those in your squad to tell you how long it took for you to get your first shot off per stage and compare it to others so you can see where you’re losing time and what positions you need most improvement in building. All the data you can record and review later will be helpful. Keep a running log, you may look back at this match in your notepad 10 matches from now.

Each match write a brief summary of how you did vs how you expected to perform and most important WHAT YOU LEARNED. Have fun!!

Reactions: Hutch_WV
I like the notepad idea. My wife and I often shoot an idpa match and on the way home ask each other.. "so what was stage 4 again?"

We are thinking of taking notes to record areas we struggled with, enjoyed, etc.

Going back to sheepdog, I have one last question. How is the brass pick up? Are they a "lost brass" club or is there a few minutes to attempt to recover brass after you shoot?

Yes, you'll have time to pick up your brass, or others in your squad will help pick up when you're shooting and give it to you. You'll return the favor when they are shooting. Stay well clear of them while shooting, but always help out with brass collection when you can.
It's not a horrible idea to mark yours if you can to easily identify it if needed.