• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help/Problem with Rem700 bolt ejector... Pictures inside.

“Was recommended a lot here…….pretty much told me to kick rocks”.

Does actually sound like a real schmuck/not standing behind his work. But, that’s all academic at this point.

The good news is that it should be a relatively easy fix. My suggestion is to start by getting a new ejector and spring (from Brownell’s (?)), installing them and see where you’re at. If stock parts work, great. If not, you can take/send the bolt & parts to a competent/conscientious ‘smith for fitting.

BTW, I may not have seen it in previous posts, but with the extractor removed, does the barreled action headspace OK ?
Update for Educational purposes only:

I received the OP's bolt and had it on the way back to him the next day.
This is what I observed....

Whatever shop did the previous work to this bolt left a bunch of abrasive blast media in the bolt body and in the ejector plunger hole.

20211118_100801.jpg

20211118_083917.jpg

The bolt had been in a blast cabinet to prep for whatever black finish they applied but seemingly absolutely nothing was done to clean the media out of the bolt prior to refinishing and re-assembly.

Their coating, baking and re-assembly process compacted the abrasives down into the bottom of the ejector plunger hole so hard that the OP felt like he was legitimately at the bottom of the blind hole with his drill. They (the other shop) should have noticed something amiss when they screwed the firing pin assembly into the bolt body (gritty AF) or when they re-installed the ejector plunger (wouldn't even come close to flush with the breech face.)

The ejector plunger and spring were correct and within spec, but there was however enough of the media in the hole to take about 0.100" of the effective depth away. Removing the compacted abrasives solved his ejector issue immediately.

On a related note, I unscrewed his striker assembly from the back of the bolt to better clean and wash things. As soon as I started to unscrew the assembly, there was a god awful grating and grinding.
Turns out there was a lot of abrasive material left inside the bolt body as well.

The previous shop had lubed up the striker assembly and screwed everything together which then trapped the abrasives and let them migrate throughout all the shroud threads, firing pin, firing pin spring and bolt body cavity. The abrasive/lubricant mix would effectively eat up all moving surfaces if left in place.

I totally disassembled the bolt and striker assembly, scrubbed off what I could, sent everything through a parts washer, dried and re-scrubbed everything, re-lubricated and re-assembled. My only concern now is that certain abrasives can embed themselves somewhat into metal surfaces when pressed surface to surface (basically like lapping) and leave remnants even after scrubbing. I have no idea what the media was so fingers are crossed.

Bolt is on the way back to the OP and should work properly. No parts were out of spec, just terrible job by previous shop that also didn't want to look at it once the issue was broached by the OP.

Last edited:

Whatever shop did the previous work to this bolt left a bunch of abrasive blast media in the bolt body and in the ejector plunger hole.

View attachment 7743587

View attachment 7743588

The bolt had been in a blast cabinet to prep for whatever black finish they applied but seemingly absolutely nothing was done to clean the media out of the bolt prior to refinishing and re-assembly.

Their coating, baking and re-assembly process compacted the abrasives down into the bottom of the ejector plunger hole so hard that the OP felt like he was legitimately at the bottom of the blind hole with his drill. They (the other shop) should have noticed something amiss when they screwed the firing pin assembly into the bolt body (gritty AF) or when they re-installed the ejector plunger (wouldn't even come close to flush with the breech face.)

The ejector plunger and spring were correct and within spec, but there was however enough of the media in the hole to take about 0.100" of the effective depth away. Removing the compacted abrasives solved his ejector issue immediately.

On a related note, I unscrewed his striker assembly from the back of the bolt to better clean and wash things. As soon as I started to unscrew the assembly, there was a god awful grating and grinding.
Turns out there was a lot of abrasive material left inside the bolt body as well.

The previous shop had lubed up the striker assembly and screwed everything together which then trapped the abrasives and let them migrate throughout all the shroud threads, firing pin, firing pin spring and bolt body cavity. The abrasive/lubricant mix would effectively eat up all moving surfaces if left in place.

I totally disassembled the bolt and striker assembly, scrubbed off what I could, sent everything through a parts washer, dried and re-scrubbed everything, re-lubricated and re-assembled. My only concern now is that certain abrasives can embed themselves somewhat into metal surfaces when pressed surface to surface (basically like lapping) and leave remnants even after scrubbing. I have no idea what the media was so fingers are crossed.

Bolt is on the way back to the OP and should work properly. No parts were out of spec, just terrible job by previous shop that also didn't want to look at it once the issue was broached by the OP.

Couldn’t have sent it to better, more conscientious person ! Great job Terry !

Reactions: sgtsmmiii

View attachment 7743587

View attachment 7743588

Holy shit, Batman! Now that is truly awful....not just the utter lack of attention to detail but them then telling the OP to "kick rocks" when he brought the issue to their attention.

Thanks for the report, Terry. You are a super valuable contributor to this forum and I personally appreciate your taking the time to drop in with info and help people with seemingly intractable problems.

While generally not into "internet character assassination" , I really do think this is appalling to the extent that the OP should publish who performed this abortion and then rejected his request for help in solving issues that they clearly caused.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii