• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Scope the New Vudoo

crossgun

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2008
N.E. Ohio
Need a little help on the ultimate scope for the new Vudoo. Its on its way! My first thought is the 10-50x Sightron I have. No doubt it will get tasked testing the rifle however I'm not sure its the best fit moving forward. I am looking for a do-all scope that will allow me to compete well in just about any match format. I have yet to shoot any of the PRS 22 matches but its on the list.

Guess I am looking for something that will let me watch bullets going in the same hole at 50/100 and have parallax that will dial down below 20 yards. My concern with the Sightron is that it might have too much low end magnification not really understanding the PRS format. I don't have a handle on target size and distances especially on the nearside. No doubt with 22's off the bench I like cranking up the power as the conditions allow. I'm not sure I would be happy maxing in the mid 20x range.

This rifle deserves a really nice piece of glass and I would hate to overlook something so thoughts are appreciated.

I put Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 mil scopes on both my converted 40X repeaters (they use the same 10rd mags that your Vudoo does), and have been very pleased with their performance. The optical quality has never been lacking for the matches I've shot with targets from 25 to 225yds, and the ffp reticle works really well for holding over or holding off.

The only thing that bugs me about this scope is that the parallax adjustment is stiffer than it needs to be - makes changing it in a hurry kind of a PITA. I'm thinking the adjustment will loosen a bit with more use, but have had these scopes for nearly a year now, and haven't seen any improvement in this regard yet. The only time it's been an issue is when we've shot stages where you have to engage targets over a wide range of distances under time constraints. In this respect, their new Ares scopes (4.5-27x56) might be better, as the parallax knobs on the two I've got mounted on rifles are much easier to move, while still being plenty stiff enough to avoid accidental movement.

ETA - I'm waiting on a V-22 action myself - plan to fit & chamber a Krieger sendero 22RF blank, mount a Jewell HVR trigger, and bed it in a Manners Elite Tactical T4A stock as soon as it gets here. Unless I sell off one of my 40X repeaters (not bloody likely!), I'll be ordering a Athlon Cronus BTR to go on this new rifle.

Last edited:
Usually at 10x there is adequate FOV for locating targets quickly. But I had the older 30mm Sightron 10-50 and too me it fell short. .05 mil clicks at 2.5 mils per revolution was a big fail to me, plain reticle and pretty dark image at 50x.

I use a S&B 3-20x50 which suits most of my desires but I do miss having extra magnification sometimes.

I have the Cronus BTR on my tactical centerfire. The more I use it, the more I like it. I like it better than the Ares of course but the Cronus is twice the cost.

First things first, CONGRATS on the new rifle!!! What's the scope budget? That will be the utimate deciding factor.

Lets assume that there is no scope budget. At this point no reason to be cheap is there. No reason the correct scope cant be mounted in a ring set that couldn't be swapped back and forth between rifles is there? I don't mind buying rifles but mounting great scopes on them and having them sit in the safe till needed is starting to take a toll. Seems we are always confirming zero before matches anyway so why no switch back and forth if need be?

How about some details and pics on your new toy,Im almost ready to get one,It seems like the perfect rimfire rifle.

Vortex 3-18 with EBR2C is a Grand slam!!!

For me the limiting factor was finding something with parallax down to 25yds. Ended up buying a Bushnell ERS Tactical 6-24x50 off a hide member. Since I have DMR's on my other 2 rifles hopefully the training will transfer over. I will get my Vudoo first of next week and put my theory to the test.

For .22s especially I like parallax that adjusts down to 25 yards. I put a Nightforce SHV on my Stiller 2500 and like it except it’s a 5 Mil per rev of the turrets.

I’m running NF scopes on all mine with SPUHR mounts.

Range_10_28_1.jpg

MB

Vortex AMG. Light weight, good power range and reticle, parallax down to 25 yards, great locking knobs and plenty of elevation. It's what is going on my Vudoo when it gets here.

PST II 6-24x50 FFP Mil, parallax to 25 and it is forgiving through a fair amount of distance variations.

Wasn't that happy with the PST II 's I have been behind. The AMG might have possibilities as well as the Nightforce. I like the idea of the SPHUR mount and buying a better optic and switching it between rifles. Still would like a little magnification so might have to consider the 7-35 ATACR but its half a rifle more than the AMG.

If I stay 2nd FP maybe the Sightron SV?

Reactions: sideburn
If you are going to shoot PRS .22 matches you will want a FFP just like people shooting regular PRS. You want to be able to make holds and corrections fast and FFP does that head and shoulders above SFP.

As for power, top end of 24x is more than enough for that game.

You can move scopes around in a good set of standard rings like Seekins but it just so happens my AMG sits in a Spuhr mount now. Here it is on my 6.5 Creedmoor match rifle but will be going on the V-22 soon.

7g2uOu8.jpg

Rob that's a really nice set up. Quick question if I may, with the SPUHR am I going to be higher than I would with a set of conventional rings?

Yes a little bit as the lowest Spuhr is 1.18" but it's not too bad. You could go with lower rings with a 50mm objective scope. Something around .87-92" depending on baser and barrel contour.

Rob01,The AMG seems to fit the bill perfect the a long range rimfire.I am so interested in a voodoo build.Love shooting rimfire at long range.

Moose I agree. Between weight, power range and parallax to 25 yards it definitely fits the bill. My V-22 will be in next Thursday. Can't wait!

I know they don't get a lot of praise around here but if money was not the first consideration I would take a hard look at March scopes. They do check a lot of important boxes for rimfire applications. For a no compromise .22 I think that is where I would go.

A friend had his new Vudoo V-22 at the last 22RF PR match of the season a couple of weekends ago. I'd sold him an Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 mil scope for it, and had the opportunity to put rounds downrange with it after the match. He had a 'test your limits' plate rack set up at 226yds - I got centered up for wind & elev on the 8" plate, then moved on to the smaller plates, spending my last three rounds on the smallest one, which was 2". Got three consecutive hits on that 2" plate with the V-22, and was very satisfied with using the Ares scope.

I've been shooting my two jelrod-converted 40X repeaters with Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes, and have been very pleased with them. However, I've still got a couple of the Ares scopes in stock, and am thinking seriously about mouting one on the V-22 I'm going to build for myself when the action gets here. If nothing else, the Ares is lighter & smaller than the Cronus, so if the optical quality & tracking are up to the standards my Cronus scopes have exhibited, I might just leave it on the V-22 - even though I've just received another Cronus bought during Cabela's sale on them. I had a bunch of club points built up on my Cabela's VISA card, so that scope cost me only $520...

Dang it, I was just looking for that sale on the Cronus. I saw it in a flyer at deer camp. I guess its over.

I'm still stuck! Looking at Athlon but really concerned with the quality and fit/feel of the whole thing. Honestly, I kinda hate the current optics market and high price of the upper end. Someone is making a killing because we are prepared to pay for it.

Mine will initially get the Burris XTR2 3-15 that is on my CZ452, but it will get upgraded to an AMG at some point in time.

This is a great thread. I've been debating what will go on mine once I get it and have gone back and forth between using a 5-25 XTR II, Bushy DMR, NXS 5.5-22 or SHV 5-20 or moving my PM II back and forth from my AT.

Since there aren't any NRL 22 matches within 5 hours of me, I have only seen pics and videos of matches and rifles. What are most shooters using? Am I correct that there aren't any weight restrictions?

Dmr2 probably my choice. Im waiting for my v22 too i like 34mm tube and compact for a 22 i think 21x is enough power

I'll have a new AMG tomorrow, going in a SPUHR mount.

MB

Ive seen a lot of prs shooters using razor gen2 is it preference? Choosing amg over razor gen2 or the weight

I believe, mostly because they're one of the few optics that parallax down to 25 yds or closer. None of my NF will parallax that close, so they're being moved to my CF rifles.

MB

Ive seen a lot of prs shooters using razor gen2 is it preference? Choosing amg over razor gen2 or the weight

I think a big portion was availability. But now there a couple weeks out for the most part, if someone doesn't have it in stock. I have an AMG, and will put one on the V22 when I have the money. Mine will get a Burris XTR2 for the time being, as I already have one.

I believe, mostly because they're one of the few optics that parallax down to 25 yds or closer. None of my NF will parallax that close, so they're being moved to my CF rifles.

MB

Whats the minimum paralex on razor gen2?

Whats the minimum paralex on razor gen2?

I'm not exactly sure because I'm new to the Vortex scene, but the guys in UT have been running them and have had no issues as close as 25 yds. I believe someone mentioned they could parallax down to 13 yds, but I'm not sure if that was with a Vortex. I'll get the 6-24X50 mounted tomorrow and report back.

MB

The spec's for the R2 states 32Y minimum.

If you dial it down to "X ??" mag you could probably get it focused at 25Y.

Ideal, is the scope that is designed from the get-go to focus at 25Y or less if one wants to shoot at those closer distances.

The Athlon Cronus or Cronus BTR focus at 25Y on 29x and even closer if you dial down. The Ares, Midas, Argos and Talos lines have either 10Y min focus or 25Y min focus depending....

Vortex PST II is 25 yards. The PST II I have on my 22 match gun works well. It is forgiving in the parallax correction over a fairly wide range of distances compared to the Athlon. Running multiple distance in a single stage from 25y to 100y I'll usually dial the parallax somewhere in the middle and won't need to readjust. The parallax distances on the turret are also accurate to what my eyes see which can come in handy as well and save time in some positional stages.

Really how much is parallax going to be a factor at those 25 yard ranges?

I usually run mine down to 50 or so for close targets. What size targets are y'all shooting at the close ranges to make it a factor?

I'm probably going to go with a SWFA SS 3-15x50...it will adjust parallax for the close stuff and has enough zoom for longer shots, besides, I spent all my money on the rifle :rolleyes:
DW

Really how much is parallax going to be a factor at those 25 yard ranges?

I usually run mine down to 50 or so for close targets. What size targets are y'all shooting at the close ranges to make it a factor?

1/4". It's easier to miss than you'd think, especially if there's wind. just nice having a focused target vs a blurry one.

Vortex PST II is 25 yards. The PST II I have on my 22 match gun works well. It is forgiving in the parallax correction over a fairly wide range of distances compared to the Athlon. Running multiple distance in a single stage from 25y to 100y I'll usually dial the parallax somewhere in the middle and won't need to readjust. The parallax distances on the turret are also accurate to what my eyes see which can come in handy as well and save time in some positional stages.

That would depend on which Athlon and what magnification you have it on. Essentially the 25Y min parallax scopes will be the same. Set the mag on 12-15x so the depth of field is suited from 50-100Y.

The 10Y close focus Athlon scopes don't have the same wide depth of field as the 25Y close focus scopes but the 25Y min parallax scopes can't be focused at 10Y at max mag. A compromise either way depending on what you want to do.

1/4". It's easier to miss than you'd think, especially if there's wind. just nice having a focused target vs a blurry one.

Ok that size target I can see it. I wonder if the guy that makes the indoor training aid can make a lens to shorten up the parallax distance.

I'll have a new AMG tomorrow, going in a SPUHR mount.

MB
I'm looking to run the same set up. Which Spuhr mount did you go with? 20 moa on my v-22. Did you have any problems getting the parallax down to 25 yards or the spent shells hitting the bottom of the mount. I can't find a AMG with ebr-7b with an moa reticle in stock anywhere!

I'm looking to run the same set up. Which Spuhr mount did you go with? 20 moa on my v-22. Did you have any problems getting the parallax down to 25 yards or the spent shells hitting the bottom of the mount. I can't find a AMG with ebr-7b with an moa reticle in stock anywhere!

I'll take a look at the mount tomorrow, I don't remember the model, but I use the 20MOA rail with 0MOA mount. 25 yards is no problem, my first Vortex and I'm liking it. All my NF are going back on my CF rifles.

MB