• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help Spend Money aka Find 3 New Scopes!

warrantchief

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2023
Montana
Hi folks, one of my new rifles is about done and I need to shift some optics around. Curious to hear if anyone has any strong opinions!

Current med/hi magnification setups

mk12ish in 5.56 with leupold mk6 3-18 - competition & varmint 0-700y
scar 20s in 7.62 with zeiss s3 5-25x50 - competition & long range steel 0-1000y
tikka tac in 6.5cm with leica prs 5-30x56 - competition & long range steel 0-1200y

I have one rifle complete and two more due by the end of the year:
ultralight bolt .308 with xlr chassis, 18" carbon barrel, etc. - tacticool hunting 0-500y
varminty bolt 5.56, 24" thicc barrel, etc. - competition & varmint 0-700y
"heavy hunter" bolt 300 prc. 26" sendero, manners "long range hunter" stock - hunting & long range steel 300-2000y?? (I'm an optimist)

My inclination is to move the mk6 from the mk12ish to the bolt action .308 and replace it with a steiner 3-18x56 as I am not weight sensitive on a comp gun. For some reason I find the Leupold 2-10x30 appealing as well, but it wouldn't be enough magnification for me to compete.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to get. Feel free to suggest moving scopes off of the existing rifles, too. I get the expertvoice/first responder discounts, so that has me a little biased towards the brands where those are offered. E.g. I would have a hard time getting another Leupold when I can get 50% off Steiner. I'm in the $2500ish max price range so I'm not looking at zco, tt, kahles, sb, etc. FFP + milrad only.

If it's not clear I also like getting different brands so I can try everything. US Optics? Nightforce? I don't have either of those on any rifles.

Burris XTR PRO 5.5-30x56. Eyebox superwide FOV is heavenly. $1400(LE Military discount or around $1800 or less from a few price friendly negotiable dealers)

Sightron SVIII 5-40x56 closest budget priced scope yo a true tier 1 you can buy. $2000-$2300.

Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 $2000 or less from price friendly negotiable dealers or possibly even cheaper with LE Military discount.

Element Optics Theos 6-36x56 currently on sale for $2007.00 at DVOR. Probably two or three days left for this sale. It has favorable reviews but I personally don't own one of these yet. Might be the only Element Optics brand scope actually worth buying at this sale price forget the rest of their cheaper stuff.

Last edited:
Hi folks, one of my new rifles is about done and I need to shift some optics around. Curious to hear if anyone has any strong opinions!

Current med/hi magnification setups

mk12ish in 5.56 with leupold mk6 3-18 - competition & varmint 0-700y
scar 20s in 7.62 with zeiss s3 5-25x50 - competition & long range steel 0-1000y
tikka tac in 6.5cm with leica prs 5-30x56 - competition & long range steel 0-1200y

I have one rifle complete and two more due by the end of the year:
ultralight bolt .308 with xlr chassis, 18" carbon barrel, etc. - tacticool hunting 0-500y
varminty bolt 5.56, 24" thicc barrel, etc. - competition & varmint 0-700y
"heavy hunter" bolt 300 prc. 26" sendero, manners "long range hunter" stock - hunting & long range steel 300-2000y?? (I'm an optimist)

My inclination is to move the mk6 from the mk12ish to the bolt action .308 and replace it with a steiner 3-18x56 as I am not weight sensitive on a comp gun. For some reason I find the Leupold 2-10x30 appealing as well, but it wouldn't be enough magnification for me to compete.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to get. Feel free to suggest moving scopes off of the existing rifles, too. I get the expertvoice/first responder discounts, so that has me a little biased towards the brands where those are offered. E.g. I would have a hard time getting another Leupold when I can get 50% off Steiner. I'm in the $2500ish max price range so I'm not looking at zco, tt, kahles, sb, etc. FFP + milrad only.

If it's not clear I also like getting different brands so I can try everything. US Optics? Nightforce? I don't have either of those on any rifles.
Burris XTR-IIIi or XTR-PRO.

If you have LE/MIL creds, you can get a Kahles K624i 6-24x50 from EuroOptic for under $2,500 each. Therefore, Kahles isn’t out of reach anymore. Which is what is opt for. 😉

Burris XTR-IIIi or XTR-PRO.

If you have LE/MIL creds, you can get a Kahles K624i 6-24x50 from EuroOptic for under $2,500 each. Therefore, Kahles isn’t out of reach anymore. Which is what is opt for. 😉
Oh snap. can you link me to the eurooptic stuff? I'm in their "LE/Mil" program, but am a hose dragger, so maybe it just doesn't apply.

Burris XTR PRO 5.5-30x56. Eyebox superwide FOV is heavenly. $1400(LE Military discount or around $1800 or less from a few price friendly negotiable dealers)

Sightron SVIII 5-40x56 closest budget priced scope yo a true tier 1 you can buy. $2000-$2300.

Vortex Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 $2000 or less from price friendly negotiable dealers or possibly even cheaper with LE Military discount.

Element Optics Theos 6-36x56 currently on sale for $2007.00 at DVOR. Probably two or three days left for this sale. It has favorable reviews but I personally don't own one of these yet. Might be the only Element Optics brand scope actually worth buying at this sale price forget the rest of their cheaper stuff.

Gen 3 vortex is $2399 with discount normally, but it sounds like I can do better. Who are some dealers you might recommend?

Would you get the burris over the steiner 5-30x56? Steiner comes in at $1400 as well.

I will check out both the signtron and element optics. I've never even gotten to play with either of those.

Thank you

Reactions: Scopeye
Oh snap. can you link me to the eurooptic stuff? I'm in their "LE/Mil" program, but am a hose dragger, so maybe it just doesn't apply.
Just FYI, these are the Gen2 K624i (newest version), and they have the much better glass and turrets than the Gen1 version. I have 2 of these, and they’re solid scopes. 👍🏼

I really wanted that atacr 4-20 but thats the one scope they don't offer a discount on. I got the Zeiss s3 instead.
I'm in the $2500ish max price range

I don't have any affiliation (other than having bought from this member before), and I don't know if this is still available.

There's also been several ZCO527 in the PX for $3k. Don't be a poor, get a ZCO 🤌🤌😘

Gen 3 vortex is $2399 with discount normally, but it sounds like I can do better. Who are some dealers you might recommend?

Would you get the burris over the steiner 5-30x56? Steiner comes in at $1400 as well.

I will check out both the signtron and element optics. I've never even gotten to play with either of those.

Thank you
Even Optics Planet currently has the MRAD Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 for closer to $2000 with their in house Bonus Bucks deal and10% off discount code easily obtained through their chat by just asking for a personal 10% off code. It doesn't net it down to $2000, you get the difference on store credit to use towards your future purchases. They charge tax so probably best to price shop vs places such as Liberty that doesn't change you tax.

I wouldn't personally buy a Steiner or Zeiss or future Nightforce brand scopes due to their very limited 2 or 3 year electronics warranty IE illuminated reticles. Same goes with I'd never consider buying a Trijicon or SIG scope or rangefinder binoculars if their have any built in electronics either due to their limited 5 year warranty from DATE OF MANUFACTURE AND NOT DATE OF ACTUAL PURCHASE and they might already be expired by the time you actually buy them on close out.

The Element Theos $800 off sale might be already expired or maybe valid for one last day at DVOR. Dont dilly dally on this one.

NightForce and Zeiss are such great scopes I wouldn't hesitate to buy a few.

Trijicon, and Sig Optics, are American Defense companies with gov't contracts that will be around a long time.

I don't buy Vortex because of their business practices and high rates of warranty returns.

And regardless of low price I don't buy chicom optics or gun related products.

Last edited:
I own tons of Zeiss scopes, and have never (in 20+ years) had an issue requiring their warranty or customer service with any optic, from Conquests, all the way up to Diavari's. And I just bought a new NF ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT today. If you buy from a good company like EuroOptic, they will most-likely be able to help you with the sales reps and work with them to get you warrantied or replaced. It really is a matter of who you know in this industry. 😉👍🏼

Steiner is owned by Burris, which is an American company based out of Greeley, CO...I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Steiner. Burris makes amazing scopes, too. I have quite a few of them, as well.

I've pretty much standardized my high-magnification optics to just a couple of brands... Kahles, Zeiss, NF, Burris, Vortex, and Arken. Most of the Vortex and Arken scopes are now removed and sitting on a bench not being used anymore, waiting for me to sell them. So, it's pretty much Kahles, Zeiss, Burris, and NF.

Last edited:
You can go wrong with the leupold mk6 3-18, get one now and be fine with it.

You keep posting this but it's not true in the Zeiss. The Zeiss is lifetime on scope and electronics for 5 years. Not 2 or 3 years.
1) I guess we shouldn't take him at his word because much of what he posted isn't factually correct. See italicized at bottom:

2)For him to recommend an obscure scope brand based on "reviews" and that he admits to never owning, doesn't inspire credibility.

Also, I've read volumes here at SH and have seen few to none of NF scopes having electronics issues or any other problems- I guess that's one of the many reasons NF scopes are so popular. We often hear of their durability, performance, and overall quality.

For example, here is the NF warranty quoted from their website:

"We are proud to back up Nightforce ATACR™, B.E.A.S.T.™, Benchrest, Competition™, NXS™, NX8™, and SHV™ riflescopes with a transferable Limited Lifetime Warranty which covers mechanical defects in materials and workmanship in the optical and mechanical components of the riflescope. In the event of a defect in materials or workmanship that is covered by this warranty, we will either repair the riflescope or replace it at no charge, with a comparable product at our discretion. Exclusions to this warranty include intentional or accidental damage, abuse, misuse, unauthorized modifications or repairs, and improper mounting. This warranty does not cover any consequential or incidental damages resulting from the inability to use the riflescope. Any serial number obliteration or alteration on the product will void the warranty. SHV™ models maintain waterproof integrity with their protective caps installed.

To ensure warranty coverage, please register online or fill out completely and mail in the provided warranty card found in the back of the owner’s manual, along with a copy of the sales receipt. The warranty begins on the date the product was purchased by the original owner. The optical and mechanical components are covered without time limitations. The riflescope’s electronic components are covered for a period of three years."

I don't own any Steiner scopes but here is their warranty- lifetime transferable on the mechanicals and THREE years on the electronics:

Steiner Heritage™ Warranty – For the Life of the Product

Covers Binoculars, Riflescopes, Battle Sights, Rings, and Mounts

Valid in U.S. and Canada only on items manufactured since 2014.

For warranties in other countries, please visit www.Steiner.de

We will repair or replace the product at no charge to you. The Steiner Heritage Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

• No warranty card needed.
  • No receipt required.
  • Warranty is fully transferable to future owners of the product.
  • Excludes electronic components which are covered by a 3-year warranty.
  • Excludes accessories.

Even Optics Planet currently has the MRAD Razor Gen 3 6-36x56 for closer to $2000 with their in house Bonus Bucks deal and10% off discount code easily obtained through their chat by just asking for a personal 10% off code. It doesn't net it down to $2000, you get the difference on store credit to use towards your future purchases. They charge tax so probably best to price shop vs places such as Liberty that doesn't change you tax.

I wouldn't personally buy a Steiner or Zeiss or future Nightforce brand scopes due to their very limited 2 or 3 year electronics warranty IE illuminated reticles. Same goes with I'd never consider buying a Trijicon or SIG scope or rangefinder binoculars if their have any built in electronics either due to their limited 5 year warranty from DATE OF MANUFACTURE AND NOT DATE OF ACTUAL PURCHASE and they might already be expired by the time you actually buy them on close out.

The Element Theos $800 off sale might be already expired or maybe valid for one last day at DVOR. Dont dilly dally on this one.
Feel free to admit you played fast and loose with the facts about Steiner, Zeiss, and Nightforce- none of them have only a two year electronics warranty. It's important to check your facts before posting, and when wrong, admit it.

Last edited:
Burris XTR3i and xtr pro are amazing scopes for the money and crossover purposes.

Vortex LHT a great hunting scope and the new razor Gen 3 a great target scope

Reactions: Schütze and FuhQ
If they do I never noticed it and it's no more than any other scope in it's price area including the Gen III Razor, Zeiss, Steiner etc as I have never seen it in any of them either. I shoot a lot of targets where CA should show up and never saw it in the Pro.

You keep posting this but it's not true in the Zeiss. The Zeiss is lifetime on scope and electronics for 5 years. Not 2 or 3 years.
Thanks for the clarification on the 5 year warranty for Zeiss. I must have gotten mixed up regarding Zeiss with some of their binoculars warranty.

Reactions: Rob01
Feel free to admit you played fast and loose with the facts about Steiner, Zeiss, and Nightforce- none of them have only a two year electronics warranty. It's important to check your facts before posting, and when wrong, admit it.
I should have just stated they don't have lifetime warranties. I was mistaken if none of them are only two years.

I don't own any Steiner scopes but here is their warranty- lifetime transferable on the mechanicals and THREE years on the electronics:

Steiner Heritage™ Warranty – For the Life of the Product

Covers Binoculars, Riflescopes, Battle Sights, Rings, and Mounts

Valid in U.S. and Canada only on items manufactured since 2014.

For warranties in other countries, please visit www.Steiner.de

We will repair or replace the product at no charge to you. The Steiner Heritage Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

• No warranty card needed.
  • No receipt required.
  • Warranty is fully transferable to future owners of the product.
  • Excludes electronic components which are covered by a 3-year warranty.
  • Excludes accessories.
No receipt required so do they go by date of manufacture to determine if it's within it's 3 year electronics warranty?

We read this a lot so it's very likely a true statement. I may buy one.
Owning an XTR-IIIi 5.5-30x56 SCR 2 MIL, I can highly recommend that scope. The glass is pretty damn amazing for the price tag. You really have to step up a huge chunk in $$$ before seeing an obvious increase in glass quality.

Reactions: YotaEer