• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help to fix a barrel that was cut wrong (can it be?)

miscexpense

Never stop learning
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
Alabama
Are there any suggestions on a quality shop in Georgia or Alabama that can fix a pre-fit barrel that was cut wrong? Unfortunately, the shop that did the work I have found out spread the word that they have closed permanently and are not responding to messages.
I spun the new barrel on and the bolt would not even come close to closing. I'm trying to get my head wrapped around what could be done to fix it without completely having to redo all the work and being stuck with yet another $500-$600 bill. The new barrel is currently torqued down to spec (100lb) Could I possibly torque it to say 70-75lb to see if that would allow for the headspace, and not have any future issues with accuracy or safety? This is my rifle that's being used for PRS matches and sees a good number of rounds go through it.

Thank you in advance

What action?
I Am assuming it is a shouldered prefit.
So the bolt wont close on an empty chamber or with a case in the chamber?

Pre-fit barrel going on a Curtis action. I wasn't going to need Go/No-Go gauges. I'm now trying to scrounge up some to borrow. I ll start with New brass. If I can get it to headspace at a lower lb like 75 I'm wondering what kind of experience others have had.

Important fact would be whether it's shouldered or not.

I think most of us are assuming it is, but please clarify.

If it's a shouldered prefix, it's going to cost a few bucks to have that re machined.

75 vs 100 ft/lbs is not going to make a significant difference at this point.

Could the barrel have been set up for a thicker recoil lug than you are using?

Sonds like the shoulder is cut wrong. You'll need to cut off a portion of the tenon and have it re-chambered to do it correctly.

I agree with above. Less tq will not make a noticeable difference. It really needs to be fixed on a lathe.

That’s what I was thinking. Just hoping there might be an alternative solution. It’s gotten comical but I’ve been fighting with this since the beginning of November.

miscexpense Nothing you can do here the barrel needs a smith, what curtis action do you have. Axiom has a .680 tenon and a Vector has a .725 tenon. If you have a caliper measure the tenon.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Another problem is there are no known machinist around my area. One that I did reach out to said their turn around time is 60-90 days, If they have to fix someone else’s work. It almost seemed to me since I didn’t buy from him he didn’t want to even look at it. Damned if I do damned if I don’t.

At this point, i would almost sell it as is to someone who might want to remachine it for a personal rifle and put that money toward a new reputable prefit... if you take it to a legit gunsmith, chances are they will cut an imch or two off the chamber end to give them enough meat to rechamber it and recut tennon threads etc...

Try this, break the barrel loose and measure the tenon. Then close the bolt and screw the barrel back till it touches the bolt face, back it off very slightly and measure the gap between the barrel shoulder and the receiver face. That will give some idea of what the problem is. You might be able to shim it.

Reactions: smoooth1
Sorry to hear about your experience. I’d say the best bet is to fix it right. Even if you have to pay to set it back and rechamber, the confidence that you’d have in your rifle is worth it. If you ever had an accuracy issue somewhere, you’d find yourself blaming the half-assed chamber job. For confidences sake, fix it right and eat the cash.

I believe the The vector ten on print do have a .002 callout for hand tighten or torqued.

Either way since the tenon is fairly short or might be possible the barrel can be set back .

Greg at Southern Precision Rifles (Bugholes) in Cookeville, TN is only 150mi from Guntersville vs ~300 to Hephzibah, GA (Augusta) for Gradous. Both are excellent but dang if I'd drive when it's easier to ship. Plenty of other good shops you can ship to like Keystone mentioned above, LRI, etc.

Guys, you have been awesome! I talked with a number of the guys you suggested. I sent it off this morning to get a little trim and chamber. I tell you what, I have a list of some of the nicest guys in the business.

Everyone has been so knowledgable and helpful. I should be back up and running by the first of the week. Just FYI you know you are with the right group of friends when not one but two people send DM's offering names of people that shoot in the same region that would let me shoot with them at a match if mine was not fixed in time.

Again, thank you all for the help and support.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
The axiom has two tenon lengths he first 300 were different. I don’t remember whether longer or shorter. Maybe that is the issue.

Contact Chad at Long Rifles inc. he might be your quickest option. Damn good work and good people.