• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

(Help) Traveling into NY State for rifle competition.

The Durk

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Any New Yorker's can give me the down and dirty on the transportation laws in your state? I'm headed to the NY Precision match this weekend.

I won't be carrying a pistol, nor bringing one over the border.

Just an AI AT with 100 rounds of ammo.

Do I lock my pelican case up with a TSA lock? Is it ok to have loaded mags and ammo in the case as long as it's locked? Bolt and magazines will be out of the gun.

Hope you are not flying in, if you are don't land in NY. You can land in Pittsburg or Newark and drive to Olean. If you are driving, lock the case. Ammo should be away from the case. The case should not be accessible to the driver (put it in the trunk)

Reactions: The Durk
im from NY (long island/closer to manahtten) and i have to travel everywhere by air, its just to far by car most times.

airports are regular stuff

go up tell them you\ have a rifle
they call a cop or TSA person, 50/50 they know what a rifle is
they make you open it and drop in the tag
they bring you to the explosives station
swab the inside
then they usually take it so you dont touch it again
when i return i go through he same routine at another states airport
land, depending if they are considered over weight or special
its either on the carousel or a separate area

as said above separate the guns and ammo in the car and your fine

but ive been pulled over coming home from the range from speeding and was never asked about ammo location

dont even say you have a weapon in the trunk unless they ask

No no no I'm from Pittsburgh PA. It's only about an hour into the NY border. Ok I'll keep the ammo in my binder on my backpack. All will be in the trunk (Ford Expedition.)

Sorry for the confusion with using my TSA locks. I'm not flying.

In Olean there is a place you can get a great beef on weck. It's called Beef N Barrel.

146 North Union Street
Olean, NY 14760

Another good place in Olean is Mickey's at
629 E State St, Olean, NY 14760

im from NY (long island/closer to manahtten) and i have to travel everywhere by air, its just to far by car most times.

airports are regular stuff

go up tell them you\ have a rifle
they call a cop or TSA person, 50/50 they know what a rifle is
they make you open it and drop in the tag
they bring you to the explosives station
swab the inside
then they usually take it so you dont touch it again
when i return i go through he same routine at another states airport
land, depending if they are considered over weight or special
its either on the carousel or a separate area

as said above separate the guns and ammo in the car and your fine

but ive been pulled over coming home from the range from speeding and was never asked about ammo location

dont even say you have a weapon in the trunk unless they ask
I think the problem is if non NY residents fly into NY airports even with a FID of their state its a felony if you pick up the firearm from baggage, or so I have been told by many people.

I think the problem is if non NY residents fly into NY airports even with a FID of their state its a felony if you pick up the firearm from baggage, or so I have been told by many people.
I’ll check but never heard that before.
We suck but we aren’t that bad lol

For a rifle you don’t need a permit or anything

For a PRS rifle might have to remind folks manual rifles are exempt from
threaded barrel
Folding stock

Make sure you don’t have any mags over 10 rounds anywhere

NYSP are pretty crooked and very John wayne, they will pull you over for any small thing, but will be no where to be seen if you’re the victim of a crime, if you get pulled over expect the fishing expedition and don’t fall for it, know what you need to say and don’t say a word more.

NY, pretty state but the people and gov suck.

Last edited:
Hope you are not flying in, if you are don't land in NY. You can land in Pittsburg or Newark and drive to Olean. If you are driving, lock the case. Ammo should be away from the case. The case should not be accessible to the driver (put it in the trunk)

I wouldn't land in Newark, either... and for the same reasons. Remember both are Port Authority of NY/NJ police.

For a rifle you don’t need a permit or anything

For a PRS rifle might have to remind folks manual rifles are exempt from
threaded barrel
Folding stock

Make sure you don’t have any mags over 10 rounds anywhere

NYSP are pretty crooked and very John wayne, they will pull you over for any small thing, but will be no where to be seen if you’re the victim of a crime, if you get pulled over expect the fishing expedition and don’t fall for it, know what you need to say and don’t say a word more.

NY, pretty state but the people and gov suck.
Well, not all the people suck. Too many though.

Reactions: TurboTrout
I have flown into MacArthur airport in Islip, LI many times to go duck/goose hunting with a semi-auto shotgun. Also, same airport with OU for skeet competition.

The fella above had it right...in NY, in addition to TSA, they bring a cop over to check out the gun/case and take it from you there. San Antonia airport for the skeet world championship was much more of a PIA.

The biggest dissapointment of my life was a permannings sandwich... probably spelled it wrong but whatever to them. It was junk. Chinese food in that area was amazing though.

• Haha
Reactions: The Durk
The biggest dissapointment of my life was a permannings sandwich... probably spelled it wrong but whatever to them. It was junk. Chinese food in that area was amazing though.
If it makes you feel better, I’m not a fan of them either, and I’ve lived here all my life. Bomb pizza tho.

Reactions: Texasflyer
That's nowhere even close to correct.
Not sure if its the law or just the way they act in JFK, I had red a horror story in another forum of someone getting diverted to JFK due to a snow storm and getting arrested. This was a couple of yrs ago.

If it makes you feel better, I’m not a fan of them either, and I’ve lived here all my life. Bomb pizza tho.
I lived in cannonsburg for 4 years. It was pretty dissapointing. Fat alchoholic chicks and bad bbq.... but 20 mins away in my second favorite state in the U.S.A, Morgantown has great bbq and loose women with little to no better life prospects.... amazing... truly a target rich enviroment.

Don't run out of gas....

Don't be wearing tactical gear......

Don't go out in the middle of the Highway with your Moroccan flag and claim to own the United States as the descendant of Moorish fishermen that came here PreColumbus.......

Do this.........and you should be fine.

My last name is Morgan so I’m a bit paranoid of that town if you catch my drift.
Pro tip, you can run pump deisel instead of heating oil. Just fyi in case you got a tank. Found this out rhe first time i called to have the heater refilled... nope!

No no no I'm from Pittsburgh PA. It's only about an hour into the NY border. Ok I'll keep the ammo in my binder on my backpack. All will be in the trunk (Ford Expedition.)

Sorry for the confusion with using my TSA locks. I'm not flying.
I'm incarcerated (living) in Western New York. Where is the one hour into new york match of which you speak? That math puts you near my area? Just curious.

It's not illegal to have a bolt gun in your vehicle in NY. I live in upstate NY and I throw everything in my trunk. Ammo in my range bag and rifle in its case. Nothing illegal there. During hunting season I have my rifle wedged between the passenger seat and center console in my truck and the mag is in the center console. I'm ready to rock.

No issues driving into NYS with a bolt action rifle. Make sure your rifle is not loaded and in a case and the ammo separate.
People just come up with BS.

It's not illegal to have a bolt gun in your vehicle in NY. I live in upstate NY and I throw everything in my trunk. Ammo in my range bag and rifle in its case. Nothing illegal there. During hunting season I have my rifle wedged between the passenger seat and center console in my truck and the mag is in the center console. I'm ready to rock.
Same here.

had a guy years ago, had his bolt action hunting rifle behind the single cab seat rest, went to grab it, fingered the trigger, had a round chambered (probably since last hunting season) gut shot himself, survived, but major fudd ouch

Thanks for all the input guys! I had a fun trip and came home with some gear!
44E80C5D-7FEB-47E3-9737-170F222ACB86.jpeg