• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help wanted please! brands of rifles

gman4955

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Mackay Qld australia
Hi I'm new to this website, I'm from australia QLD.

Now I'm new to firearms and I wanna do hunting/target shooting. Around 200-800meters in distarnce. Gunna take some time. I want a 243 rifles are much more expensive over here in aus than the states.. but I was thinking of a howa 1500 or a remington 700.? And wat type of scope? Fixed or variable? I'm on a budget of $1500 for rifle and scope.. aussie dollars.. hope u guys can point me in the right direction. I was told that howa is owned by smith and wessen? This true?
Thanks for your time!

Re: help wanted please! brands of rifles

Hey, I was in the same position last year. I went for the Rem700 SPS Varmint in .243 and dropped a top end Bushnell Elite on it. Perfect kit and wouldn't have done it any other way. The £700 scope might get sneared at on here, but it holds true, is crystal clear and comes with a lifetime guarantee... Perfect for starting out. Also, remember to save most of your cash for ammo, that'll do your wallet in more than any other piece of kit! Enjoy!

you can pick up an sportco omark target rifle pretty cheap but they are mostly in .308 and have a heavier barrel generally u can get one for the 400 dollar mark (note they do not have a magazine generally its a single shot)
there is the odd .223 getting around but will maybe cost more and is smaller than u want in cal

then all u need to do is get some work done to get a base for a scope. This can be very cheap if u have a friend who has a milling machine and has done this work before. (to get mine done it cost the amount for a rail blank and a case of beer (speaks a million languages)

the next step is to get a scope, buy once cry once, a vortex viper pst 6-24 power X 50 mm FFP (can be gotten from vision australia i think)
this will set u back 1100 smackers and has everything u will ever need in a scope as far as i can see with a lifetime warranty this is important if the scope doesn't track correctly or has issues because of recoil.

the other route is to go remington or ticca t3 both are good rifles but they do cost more.

every ticca i have come across shoots they are made in the netherlands and the tolerances are alot tighter than remington

you will find as time goes by everything has its trade offs the decision is ultimately up to you

i hope this helps and welcome to as far as im concerned the best sport and past time in the world.

Remington 700 would be where I would spend my money.

Hey thanks for the reply's, I'm from mackay, haha.. I want to hunt pigs, kangaroo, wild dogs, and maybe deer inland of mackay, ill be making my own ammunition (my old boss owns all the equipment, I might have to go and have a look at a rem, wat stock do u think?? My mate reckons get a wooden stock so ya can float ya barrel, yeah well I would like to drop a 80+kg boar/roo from atleast 300-600meters
Thanks again

First you need to learn to shoot properly .

Your mate is a dickhead stop listening to him and start reading on here , go and check out the online training and the basic and advanced marksmanship sections of Sniper's Hide .

As far as a ticca go's well to start with it's Tikka they are not made in the " netherlands " they are made in Riihimäki ,Finland . Tikka do make a good rifle I have never owned one I have use a few over the years I also have a good friend that love them can they shoot better than a Remington ? I think the real question is can you shoot better then a Remington .

Exactly how are " ticca tolerances are a lot tighter than Remington " ? And how dose that affect function and accuracy ?

As far as a scope go's spend at least as much on your glass as you do on your rifle , I would get a good variable something around the 3-9x however a good fixed power will also work very well , I have run 4x , 6x and 10x I found 6x a good all round magnification .

I have several remingtons, a savage and misc. military firerms.

My son has a Howa

I will tell you this, the fit and finish on a low end Howa is superior to the fit and finish of a low end remington. The howa has a very well made action n
and a 1 piece bolt. The bolt handle won't come off in your hand with a Howa, but it has been known to happen with remingtons.

I LIKE my remingtons, they are very good shooters.
I LIKE my sons Howa, it is alsp a fine shooter and VERY well made, as is the Tikka.

Also check out the CZ line of rifles.

.243 is an excellent choice, though a barrel burner.
If you can afford the Bushnell elite tactical series, they are excellent scopes.

Are you 12 ?

It shoot's barrel's out faster than other cartridges .

jcvibby gave you the best advise so far go and read

Do you have a 22 ?

They are a good place to start you can shoot roo's out to 100 yd's with the right shot placement .

And they are good to learn the fundamentals on have a look at the rimfire competition on here .

Forget about hunting at 800m, if you google search "used guns australia" there are a few good sites for second hand guns, if u want to stay below a $1500 budget you might be better off buying near new second hand gear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pritch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can pick up an sportco omark target rifle pretty cheap but they are mostly in .308 and have a heavier barrel generally u can get one for the 400 dollar mark (note they do not have a magazine generally its a single shot)
there is the odd .223 getting around but will maybe cost more and is smaller than u want in cal

then all u need to do is get some work done to get a base for a scope. This can be very cheap if u have a friend who has a milling machine and has done this work before. (to get mine done it cost the amount for a rail blank and a case of beer (speaks a million languages)

the next step is to get a scope, buy once cry once, a vortex viper pst 6-24 power X 50 mm FFP (can be gotten from vision australia i think)
this will set u back 1100 smackers and has everything u will ever need in a scope as far as i can see with a lifetime warranty this is important if the scope doesn't track correctly or has issues because of recoil.

the other route is to go remington or ticca t3 both are good rifles but they do cost more.

every ticca i have come across shoots they are made in the netherlands and the tolerances are alot tighter than remington

you will find as time goes by everything has its trade offs the decision is ultimately up to you

i hope this helps and welcome to as far as im concerned the best sport and past time in the world.

</div></div>
An omark would be a good start for you and you can pick one up really cheap most are .308 some are .223 all are single shot unless they were butchered. They shoot like poison aswell. Tse own the tooling for them now and they sell a conversion for .223 if you want to go that way they also have a conversion to rebarrel them conventionally as the original omarks the locking lugs lock into the barrel. As for mounting a scope a weaver no.54 base (you'll need 2) are what is used for them and ull need to bed the rear mount as there's a cutout but there's already 1 hole in the rear so line up easily just use 8-40 screws as the rear hole can be flogged out a little mounts are about $5 each if you want a synthetic stock wilddog make one as for a scope 6-24 vortex pst ffp is an awesome scope the whole setup if you go the omark and it has a good barrel and you don't want to change the stock it will run you about $1500 all up and omarks are 1000 yd full bore rifles so will do all you want also check out usedguns.com.au for used guns in aust. Going the other route Howa and Remington are both really good too but if your wanting to go a cheap budget get the omark

Hey mate.
PM Inbound.

Also, i forgot. +1 on the Omark, they're amazing rifles. If they made a magazine-fed version i'd get one. Provided it was a lefty
wink.gif

Remnington 700.... many more options later on

I don't know how things are in Australia, but in the US, the M700 has more aftermarket stuff available for it than most other rifles. Because of that, there are probably more competent gunsmiths that can help you eith an M700 than any other rifle. I would steer you towards an 700 just because there are more options down the road and they are generally good to go out of the box or used.

By the way, I think QLD may mean Queensland, right??

What does "emo" mean??

What is he deal with hunting Kangaroo? Are they restricted in any way or are they like varmints over there?

Yeah qld is queensland.. emo stands for emotianal.. and yeah there are a few different species of kangaroo.. some are protected and some arnt..

Depending on what the DSE in all their wisdom decide to do, roo hunts are perfectly legal and pretty common around all of australia. as long as you have the right paperwork.

Aren't Kangaroo like a little big to be hunting with a .22?

Is that even ethical? I always thought Kangaroo were like the deer of Australia?

I could be wrong, being as I've never seen one in my life since I'm in Northeast Pennsylvania, US. But I would never think to take a .22 against a deer...

Grey's you could get away with a .22 under 80m or so. But you'd wanna be a good shot, and it's something most roo shooters would never consider. Red's are much bigger, i wouldnt go after them with less than a .223 or something, even a .243 or .308

And for the record i wasnt suggesting he hunt with a .22, but rather get some practice up before going after the big stuff.

Also american deer are smaller than australian deer, so i guess they'd be similar to what you guys shoot, whereas our deer are larger, ie Sambar and Red Deer, so you need a .270 minimum to legally shoot them.

EDIT
Red's stand at around 85kg for males
Eastern Grey's stand at around 65kg for males

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grey's you could get away with a .22 under 80m or so. But you'd wanna be a good shot, and it's something most roo shooters would never consider. Red's are much bigger, i wouldnt go after them with less than a .223 or something, even a .243 or .308

And for the record i wasnt suggesting he hunt with a .22, but rather get some practice up before going after the big stuff.

Also american deer are smaller than australian deer, so i guess they'd be similar to what you guys shoot, whereas our deer are larger, ie Sambar and Red Deer, so you need a .270 minimum to legally shoot them.

EDIT
Red's stand at around 85kg for males
Eastern Grey's stand at around 65kg for males
</div></div>
As far as I knew there is actually a code of ethics released by the dse that states what you are allowed to shoot with what caliber I think people should check it out before saying what can be used it states a minimum caliber and a minimum mv of factory load or handload to allow for humane destruction it doesant state a range

I knew there was a calibre restriction for game animals but not for roos. Though it doesn't surprise me that there is. Can you link us or elaborate it?

I would suggest the Savage 111FCNS chambered in .30-'06. It has the adjustable Accu-Trigger, the rock solid Accu-Stock, and has a 4rd detachable box magazine. List price w/o optics or mounts is just under $700 USD. The chambering is clearly adequate for your needs, and a wide variety of ammo should be readily available. Handloading for that chambering is not a difficult option either. The Savage has a good market of available aftermarket parts and options, and is probably the most user modification friendly rifle on the market.

I own several Savages, including Accu-Trigger/Accu-Stock versions, and I like them a lot.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I knew there was a calibre restriction for game animals but not for roos. Though it doesn't surprise me that there is. Can you link us or elaborate it? </div></div>
It comes up if you google search it it basically says .222r, .223 to 200m max range and must have an mv of factory loaded ammo as a minimum or if hand loading must have a minimum mv the same or faster then factory loaded ammo all shots must be head shots unless for euthenasing then a heart shot can be taken but a heart shot can't be taken from behind