• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HELP with 308

308club

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
South Carolina
Alright guys I'm stumped. I've got a remmy 700 xcr compact tactical that I had in a 5r stock and it would shoot 3 shots .5 moa or better at a 100 yrds at any time givin conditions. Now heres the problem, I bought a B&C medalist A2 stock and put it on my rifle and had to change to a high set of rings(using lupy dual dovetail bases and burris sig. rings with inserts) to get the scope up off the stock for me. Then I loaded some ammo same as I've been shooting and went to range and I might as well be shooting buckshot compared to what I was shooting. Let my buddy shoot to rule me out and his shots were the same way. What in the world have I got in to???
crazy.gif

Re: HELP with 308

Are all the mounts , rings and action torqued to specs? Double check everything. You changed a lot, and it might not be tight enough. Check the crown for any deformities just in case. And I assusm the scope holds a zero fine?

There is way too much going on there to pick just one thing. You are going to have to do some trial and error. The first and easiest thing I would check is the stock. Put the original stock back on and see what the groups do. Did you torque the stock screws in the correct order, and are they to spec? What scope are you using?

I would suggest moving to a one piece base and getting rings that fit instead of rings that need inserts. Also why did you have to go high rings?

If everything was torqued to spec, my first guess would be a cheek weld issue.

Get in your shooting postion, with your eyes closed, once you are in your "normal" shooting postion, open your eyes.
If you are looking anywhere but straight through the scope, it is a cheek weld issue.

Trust me, I know.

I'm using a Ziess conquest 6.5x20x50 and everything was fine untill I changed the stock I've always used these rings and bases and have never had a problem. I did find that the bolt was rubbing the stock in the closed position and holding it open a tounce also I checked the rings and they wernt as tight as I wanted them and I sanded the spot down where the bolt woulnt touch could this have been my problem?

The cheek thing that you mentioned though has my attn. Because it is def different and it takes some getting used to

savvy the stock.....or how the action mates up with the stock....something is either not locked down in a kosher manner....or the whole lash-up begs to be bedded correctly.......which is sorta linda tuff to do with foam core boat paddles

if it the scope rings and bases are tight and mounting bolts are torqued down (and evenly), and barrel is remaining freefloated, i vote cheek weld / eye alignment also.

if it's not that, the only other thing i'm thinking is something funky going on with the different grip and your follow through, but most likely cheek weld / eye alignment.