• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with 6mm offerings

At these lower velocities what is expected barrel life for the BR or BRA or Dasher? Should be greater than 6cm right?
So the br accuracy node with 105-107 is right around 2800, bra gets 2840, dasher at 2860. These are the middle psi nodes. Considering your burning 30-31.5gr of varget in all 3 cases to do so, barrel life of the br/bra will be similar, 2500-3000, short neck dasher lot of guys pull at 2k, some 2500, some push them to 3k. This is all match shooting, 8-12 round strings shot quickly, in the summer heat your barrel will be warm to hot all day. Winter up here, well the barrel never even gets warm. Yesterdays match was canceled, 7° and 25mph winds. We'd had shot it, but the blowing snow made visibility/ranging nil past 300y.

What is you overall length on these ? I just started shooting a dasher this week with the MDT mags and I was having feeding issue yesterday but I think it is because my OAL is to long an the rounds below were sliding forward and hitting the front of the mag
I took the spacer out and sanded about .040 off. I noticed atips dragging on it. You can always load deeper but my gun wanted to shoot around 30 off

Reactions: Lefty315
Less energy on target Will cost you points eventually with spotters not seeing a hit now and then
I can vouch for that. Shot 223ai for bunch of matches and past 800 id have to yell impact myself and some were no calls. Edge and center hits barely move the plate

Very good points. We have run into that a few times. If there was any doubt on hits or misses we would send another shot at the base of the hanger into dirt. If dirt flies up within the size of the target the ro gives us the points. Obviously only works if there is good dirt. Won’t work in the weeds and grass.

The 223 isn’t the end all be all but is a very good cartridge. I plan on shooting it more this year and saving the dasher for the matches with really long stages (over 1k) or for the matches where points really matter to me.

IMG_20230131_132820.jpg

Went with a straight 6br bull barrel from NSS. Was a little worried about clearance in the chassis and couldn't find much on it. It's got plenty of room, so I'm happy. Nothing left to do, but hunt down some varget and start shooting. I have h4350 that I might give a try. But I can't find any published load data for that powder...or any for that matter.

View attachment 8063067
Went with a straight 6br bull barrel from NSS. Was a little worried about clearance in the chassis and couldn't find much on it. It's got plenty of room, so I'm happy. Nothing left to do, but hunt down some varget and start shooting. I have h4350 that I might give a try. But I can't find any published load data for that powder...or any for that matter.
H4350 is a step slow for a br really. A step faster into the varget/4895/rl15.5/n140 etc will be your happy spot.
Hodgdon and vihtavouri have some br data.

H4350 is a step slow for a br really. A step faster into the varget/4895/rl15.5/n140 etc will be your happy spot.
Sounds good! I only have 1 pound left of H4350. And about 100 Hornady 105 bthp that I got for $25 bucks. So maybe I'll use it to fireform the brass and not waste the good stuff, and still get some time behind the gun

From what I'm seeing on hodgdon only has accurate powder available to see data. I'll just keep on searching

Reactions: spife7980
Sounds good! I only have 1 pound left of H4350. And about 100 Hornady 105 bthp that I got for $25 bucks. So maybe I'll use it to fireform the brass and not waste the good stuff, and still get some time behind the gun
Brownells has 8lb of varget (Edit: they have it right now even though you said they dont below) and cci 450 primers in stock now but they are mighty proud of them, with the 8lber and two cci450s and coupon code "jan60" the total comes to 667.

Its pretty darn pricey but its there now to be had if you are willing. It comes out to about the same as if you buy single pounders though so it can be "justified"

A powder thats good for a 308 175gr bullet will be about right in burn rate for a 6br 105.
Do some skimming through here and see whats being used https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/6mm-br.6895954/

Last edited:
Reactions: Dildobaggins
Brownells has 8lb of varget and cci 450 primers in stock now but they are mighty proud of them, with the 8lber and two cci450s and coupon code "jan60" the total comes to 667.

Its pretty darn pricey but its there now to be had if you are willing. It comes out to about the same as if you buy single pounders though so it can be "justified"

A powder thats good for a 308 175gr bullet will be about right in burn rate for a 6br 105.
Do some skimming through here and see whats being used https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/6mm-br.6895954/
Good shit! I'm definitely going to buy some more CCI 450s. I was trying to obtain some varget for my 223 rem for heavier bullets about a Year ago and could never find it. I see it in 4 sites now. But no one has the 8lb. I might just do both, so I can be set for a good while

What is your 223 barrel length and load? And if the 223 matches 6br why aren’t more PRS shooters moving to 223?

I compete with a 223 in open class running 80 elds. There is usually on myself and maybe one or 2 more doing the same against the 6s etc.
Question about 223 barrel life: At what speed does one start "eroding" the throat of the barrel with a 223? Should I just push the speed up as far as possible (finding a higher accuracy node) or should I find a moderate accuracy node and save the barrel? How much am I giving up in range/accuracy for going slower?

Just a question. Thanks

Question about 223 barrel life: At what speed does one start "eroding" the throat of the barrel with a 223? Should I just push the speed up as far as possible (finding a higher accuracy node) or should I find a moderate accuracy node and save the barrel? How much am I giving up in range/accuracy for going slower?

Just a question. Thanks
where are you now?

75-80gr in the 2950-3000 is pretty easy with modern bolt actions and longer throats and longer mags

if you're 2800ish you might be giving up .2-.3 in a 10mph wind at 1k

Just starting out post build. Coming from 308 to 223 for fun rifle. Thanks for your answer. Your answer was exactly what I was looking for. I'll be using AICS mags; have not measured yet, but by the looks of it, I have plenty of room in the mags for longer projectiles. I'm using a criterion 26" barrel with a wylde chamber. Based on wylde specs, looks like I should have plenty of room for seating depth .

Thanks again.