• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help with a budget minded optic for Howa 1500

RobertJ1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2019
Grass Valley, California
Hello all...I have been doing copious amounts of research and have been judging optics in the $500 range.

I am building a Howa 1500, #6 in 300WM.

I am familiar with the SWFA SS optics and I do like them however I am not too sure if this is a route I should go with on the 300. I do wear glasses and I am not too familiar with FFP optics and therefore not sure how well I will pick up a scaled down reticle (those that wear glasses and use FFP please give your .02¢).

I have also been seeing mentions of the Falcon M18+ optics.

Here is my dilemma...this rifle with be used for hunting as well as the occasional range sesh of up to 1200+. I may even see what happens when going for 1760 LOL. Why not eh?

So that being in mind if I am using this build for hunting AND LR, would a 4-16 be adequate or should I stay with a fixed 10x? Also, any decent recommendations on optics in the $500 range to get me by for a bit?

Thanks for reading this jumbled mess and giving your opinions!

Last edited:
On Falcon: I have not seen one worth buying.

On optics in the $500 range: find a used SWFA SS 3-15x42FFP somewhere and you are good to go for both applications.

If you can compromise on the longer distance stuff a little, the SS 3-9x42 is a better hunting scope while still having good long range potential. Once again, you can find a used one in your price range.

I would not trust anything else in this price range to track well, although I have to admit that Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 I tested had good tracking.

ILya

Thanks for the response...I have been eyeballing that SWFA. I have a good relationship with my 10x SWFA SS on my LR AR build so I am familiar with them. I was. Just curious if there were any others worth taking a look at.

Reactions: SwiftScope
I had a Falcon as my first FFP scope when I was first getting into shooting. For what it was, it worked. I never did a tracking test, but it always returned to zero. I sold it shortly after I bought it so I have nothing to compare it to.

I've owned four SWFA scopes, two fixed and two adjustable and I've been very happy with them. Their warranty is fantastic also. I have used it twice, so that may say something, but both of the scopes I sent back had issues with the windage or elevation knobs not adjusting the reticle.

Both times they took good care of me. I would rather have not used the warranty, but I was glad that it was there.

I've also had a two of the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP and they were pretty good for the price.

I picked up a Gen 1 HDMR here for $750, so if you can squeeze some more coin into your budget, you would be better off.

If not, pick up a fixed 10x SWFA with the side focus and start shooting.

Hello all...I have been doing copious amounts of research and have been judging optics in the $500 range.

I am building a Howa 1500, #6 in 300WM.

I am familiar with the SWFA SS optics and I do like them however I am not too sure if this is a route I should go with on the 300. I do wear glasses and I am not too familiar with FFP optics and therefore not sure how well I will pickup a scaled down reticle (those that wear glasses and use FFP please give your .02¢).

I have also been seeing mentions of the Falcon M18+ optics.

Here is my dilemma...this rifle with be used for hunting as well as the occasional range sesh of up to 1200+. I may even see what happens when going for 1760 LOL. Why not eh?

So that being in mind if I am using this build for hunting AND LR would a 4-16 be adequate or should I stay with a timed 10x? Also, any decent recommendations on optics in the $500 range to get me by for a bit?

Thanks for reading this jumbled mess and giving your opinions!

Zeiss, a very good scope, is what I would suggest. There are a lot of demos for sale at a great price. You can get custom turrets made if that's your thing. The glass is awesome and the optic well built. For some reason they get over looked.
The best price and selection I have found so far is RedHawk Rifles demos.

I love the SWFA SS scopes, and they are always my first recommendation for “budget”.
That being said, I have transitioned to doing more hunting than precision and the one thing that keeps me from wanting an SS on my hunting rig is the large open turrets. I’ve found smaller adjustable or even better, capped adjustables to work better humping hills and bad terrain.

You should have no issues with FFP and Rx, once your diopter is set it won’t matter.

I wish I had a great budget scope to recommend, but am in the same boat-looking out for a reliable, repeatable, tough enough FFP hunting scope with around 16X on the top end. I have a US Optics LR17 that fills the bill aside from the weight.

if you can get the midas tac at your budget, definitely do it. if you wanted to pay less, but are willing to lose the zero stop, the diamondback tactical is $400 for 6-24x50 FFP

+1 on the SWFA SS. I had a 10x42m for probably 4 years. Good piece of gear. I got it used (I was the third owner) and the windage knob dies on me. I emailed SWFA about it, they advised to ship it to them on my dime with a letter describing the issue and any other issues. That's reasonable and I did so.

2 weeks later, the scope arrives back at my doorstep on their dime, fixed.

I have nothing but good things to say about SWFA and their customer service.

In addition to the SWFA 3-15, Bushnell 4200 Elite Tactical 3-12 is a good used scope in your price range.