• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Help with a Howa I inherited

cundiff5535

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
Mokena IL
Hello Hide, I am looking for some thoughts and help. Before I just in, I am a AR and pistol shooter more than anything so my knowledge of bolt guns is just not all there.

I recently inherited a Howa 1500 rifle from my mother in law... she knows I am the "gun guy" in the family so she asked if I wanted the rifle. It was her husbands. As far as I knew, he was not big into shooting sports, but it looks like I could have been wrong.

What I have looks to be a Howa 1500, with some work done to it. I have no idea what any of this work means etc... Just a work order from a local shop he must have used.

I am including pics as well as the work order. I am hoping someone here could give me some insight on the rifle, opinions of it, and really just some overall thoughts. I have no clue what its worth either... so thoughts there (although I know asking that usually gets people telling me its worth what someone will pay).

Anyway, seems to be a pretty solid rifle... really have no clue what I have on my hands other than a 1500 in a sporterize stock with what looks to be some custom work.

All help would be very much appreciated. Something.... or pretty much a stock rifle that is nothing special?

48140916282_cb3e566496_k.jpg

48140850043_91645d6305_k.jpg

48140850013_3726637f30_k.jpg

48140916357_1bbb61e86e_k.jpg

48140916327_b3a7dcd971_k.jpg

48140916232_2721507993_k.jpg

Slap a supressor on it and get to shooting it. load work seems to be done as well. I would call WTO and get the load data.

Does not state the chamber neck diameter , match could be anything but because it only says match and not a specific chamber neck diameter then I am presuming it should chamber factory ammo . Best to check that out before buying ammo . If its a Palma match chamber or an M852 match chamber it should be .340 diameter which will chamber most factory 308 ammo but possibly not all . A standard 308 chamber at the case mouth is .3442 . I would take it to a gunshop and run some ammo brands into it and see what chambers . That's a nice rifle you should keep it .

Does not state the chamber neck diameter , match could be anything but because it only says match and not a specific chamber neck diameter then I am presuming it should chamber factory ammo . Best to check that out before buying ammo . If its a Palma match chamber or an M852 match chamber it should be .340 diameter which will chamber most factory 308 ammo but possibly not all . A standard 308 chamber at the case mouth is .3442 . I would take it to a gunshop and run some ammo brands into it and see what chambers . That's a nice rifle you should keep it .

Before going full retard (no gun shop I've ever been to will allow you to load live ammo into any gun in the store), a phone call to West Texas Ordnance will most likely answer the chamber dimensions question more accurately than anything or anyone else.

Before going full retard (no gun shop I've ever been to will allow you to load live ammo into any gun in the store), a phone call to West Texas Ordnance will most likely answer the chamber dimensions question more accurately than anything or anyone else.
Ditto WTO has a great rep. I’m sure they would be happy to assist.

Assuming any ol’ gun shop can help you with this not wise advise lol. I can think of one maybe two and they aren’t exactly a quick trip for me. I’m talking like maybe even get a hotel for the night lol

Where I come from they would take the gun out back and do it for you as a customer service .
Other than that yeah contact the original smiths .

I would take it off your hands and dispose of it properly if you want to remain strictly an AR guy hehe.

Seriously though, West Texas Ordnance is known to do really good work. It's a nice factory action with a quality custom barrel on it. The load that was developed specifically for this rifle seems to be with lighter bullets. I agree you should call WTO and see if they have on file the exact chamber dimensions.

Overall, it's a very nice inheritance.

Awesome Howa action and a Brux barrel. I bet that it shoots extremely well based on the components. I am not a fan of the B&C stock, but if it shot well, I would leave it alone. Very nice rifle overall.

Reactions: BigRed308
congrats on getting a nice gun . sorry for your loss . I would shoot it and have fun , maybe pass it on to your kids .

Nice rifle the 125 accubonds in a 1/10 barrel is kind of odd. You would think if it was being built to shoot that grain bullet it would be a 1/12 or more. But what do I know shoot it. It should hammer with some 168’s or 175’s

Reactions: stello1001
Nice rifle the 125 accubonds in a 1/10 barrel is kind of odd. You would think if it was being built to shoot that grain bullet it would be a 1/12 or more. But what do I know shoot it. It should hammer with some 168’s or 175’s

The myth of overstabilization that just won't die................OP pay no mind to this BS and enjoy your rifle.

1 in 12 twist in a 308 W hunting rifle would limit your bullet choice to under 1.1 long or around that .
It's not od for a hunting rifle .

The myth of overstabilization that just won't die................OP pay no mind to this BS and enjoy your rifle.
It sure holds true in the benchrest world. You won’t see a benchrest shooter shooting 90 grain 6mm out of a 1/7 and yes you can over stabilize to the point you rip the jacket off the bullet

Reactions: spife7980
It sure holds true in the benchrest world. You won’t see a benchrest shooter shooting 90 grain 6mm out of a 1/7 and yes you can over stabilize to the point you rip the jacket off the bullet

Benchrest shooters do a lot of things without a rational explanation for what they do. They are not someone I consider a model of technical excellence in anything other than in machining. Certainly not in shooting skill, of which their sport requires very little.

Overstabilization is not the same as mechanical failure due to centrifugal forces creating stresses that exceed the ultimate yield stress of the bullet's jacket and core.

Here's some education from a pro: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...on-of-bullets-why-is-too-much-spin-a-problem/

Bryan Litz says:

July 25, 2013 at 7:24 am

For practical purposes, the answer is FALSE

As a bullet arcs on a long range trajectory, it’s axis is torqued (by aerodynamic forces) to constantly align with the oncoming airflow. When a spinning object has its axis torqued, the object reacts by pointing its axis primarily ‘out of plane'; 90 degrees from the applied force. This results in a nose-right orientation (for right twist barrels) known as the yaw of repose. The yaw of repose steers the bullet ever so slightly to the side resulting in gyroscopic (spin) drift.

The bullet nose will point slightly above its velocity vector (pitch), but that pitch is only about 1/10 of the yaw of repose which is not enough to cause a practical vertical drift (less than 1/2″ at 1000 yards). Typical yaw of repose remains below 1/60th of one degree, while pitch is on the order of 1/600th of one degree. This small amount of pitch and yaw is not enough to induce a measurable amount of additional drag, even for highly stabilized bullets.

All of the above applies to stable projectiles in supersonic flight on ‘flat fire’ trajectories. For projectiles fired at high angles (above ~10-20 degrees above the line of sight), it is possible for the bullet to not track, or trace with the trajectory. This is a common design challenge for artillery shells that are often fired on high angle trajectories. The axis of the spinning shell may be too rigid to bend with the exaggerated trajectory. In that case the shell can ‘belly flop’, or fall base first. However for small arms projectiles on flat-fire trajectories, this isn’t a problem.

Another consideration with spinning a bullet too fast is related to bullet failure. This discussion assumes the bullet remains structurally in tact.

Dynamic instability during transonic flight is also a different problem, not related to the above discussion.

Benchrest shooters do a lot of things without a rational explanation for what they do. They are not someone I consider a model of technical excellence in anything other than in machining. Certainly not in shooting skill, of which their sport requires very little.

Overstabilization is not the same as mechanical failure due to centrifugal forces creating stresses that exceed the ultimate yield stress of the bullet's jacket and core.

Here's some education from a pro: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...on-of-bullets-why-is-too-much-spin-a-problem/
Your a different kinda of retarded I guess my next 6br barrel is going to be a 1/5 might have to custom order it. Litz s also explains that bullets have to perfectly concenctric for these rules to apply. I doubt a 125 accubond is perfectly concentric. If you have it all figured out you should go out and when you some money beating all those benchrest guys with your kids 1/8 .308 shooting 110’s. I’m sure it will be a hammer

Your a different kinda of retarded I guess my next 6br barrel is going to be a 1/5 might have to custom order it. Litz s also explains that bullets have to perfectly concenctric for these rules to apply. I doubt a 125 accubond is perfectly concentric. If you have it all figured out you should go out and when you some money beating all those benchrest guys with your kids 1/8 .308 shooting 110’s. I’m sure it will be a hammer
I don't give a fuck what you do asswipe

Off to ignore land with all the idiots on that list

Very nice rifle. WTO builds great rifles. Your father in-law had good taste. It is well proportioned with that stock and barrel length. Put a nice scope on it and shoot it. Call Clayton at WTO and see if he has the load data. 125 grain bullets are perfect for medium game down to varmints. I'm guessing your father in-law was going to use this as a varmint/hunting gun. In hunting circles the Accubond is legendary. I'd bet it shoots great with factory ammo of just about every flavor.

Reactions: 308pirate
So, found the test target with load workup! I’ll post some pics here later just because I feel like I should:)

Super quality info and feedback from you all!

Thanks again for the help. Posting later today