• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

help with extractor change in Rem 600

BradZ

Just Brad
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
The Sticks (SW PA)
My dad's got a remington 600Mohawk that he bought and has been using as long as I've been alive. Stopped extracting shells so I ordered and put in a new extractor. Never did it before, didn't seem too hard. Overall process was a breeze putting in, or so I thought.

Now the bolt is very hard to close on many rounds from hand loads to Hornaday TAP or Federal Gold Match. Closes just fine on some surplus .308 I have though, only thing I can think of is there's too much metal from the rivet that holds the extractor in, like some is catching the shell or possibly even is sticking off the bolt face from when I set that rivet in. Does that sound like it makes sense?

And if so how can I get a bit more out? I can't flatten it anymore with a punch than it is, is there a good way to do this? I'm sure I'm not the first guy who's had this issue.

Appreciate any help or ideas.

Sometimes it is the extractor itself. (too thick) Marks on the brass will tell you. If it is the rivit, just hit it with a dremel.

The extractor itself might be sticking out of the lip in the bolt enough to catch the brass. I had a brand new 700P 300WM that was doing this. I removed the old one and put a new one in really careful without flattening out the radius of the extractor. Check and see if the extractor will push back inside the lip of the bolt. If so, you may have slightly bent it somehow. Just something else to consider...