• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with finding varget

bbowles

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2013
Missouri
Having hard time getting some varget. Have some on back order thru Midsouth. Any hope in getting that order filled?

I do know local gun shop that has 8lb jug of it but asking about $300. It may have been on shelf for couple of yrs or more. If it is older will it still be good? Is newer varget (extreme) worth waiting on?

I have not been able to buy varget in over a year. 8lb jugs of varget came up on gunbot at normal prices ($157) at a few places a few weeks ago. Sold fast and I missed it sitting in meetings. I had bought 24 lbs of 2520 that did not work well for me so i sold most of it. I picked up an 8lb of 2000mr and worked up 308 loads in 175 smk and 155 palma mk. Love the stuff now. Just got another 10lbs using gunbot, cheaper than varget too. Great velocity, meters in my chargemaster (flat disks) better than any other powder (ball or stick), no pressure issues and higher velocity in my accuracy nodes. Am getting 2810 fps in win brass with 175 smk, shoots under .5 moa where varget was giving me pressure problems at 2700 fps (43.4gr) for similar consistency. (My .308 guns have tight chambers.) Dont know that I will go back to varget when it becomes available again.

I have not been able to buy varget in over a year. 8lb jugs of varget came up on gunbot at normal prices ($157) at a few places a few weeks ago. Sold fast and I missed it sitting in meetings. I had bought 24 lbs of 2520 that did not work well for me so i sold most of it. I picked up an 8lb of 2000mr and worked up 308 loads in 175 smk and 155 palma mk. Love the stuff now. Just got another 10lbs using gunbot, cheaper than varget too. Great velocity, meters in my chargemaster (flat disks) better than any other powder (ball or stick), no pressure issues and higher velocity in my accuracy nodes. Am getting 2810 fps in win brass with 175 smk, shoots under .5 moa where varget was giving me pressure problems at 2700 fps (43.4gr) for similar consistency. (My .308 guns have tight chambers.) Dont know that I will go back to varget when it becomes available again.

I second the thumbs up on 2000mr. Only downside I've found is a 1-1.2 fps to 1 degree change with the ammo/powder temp, but if you are using a ballistic cal. like shooter that change can be entered in and automaticly accounted for.

I have gotten Varget a few times. Look for the Hide and Seek thread in the Classified section.

But you have to hit the timing right, it comes in stock and goes out of stock QUICKLY.

09cs,
Do I have to join gunbot or can i just look at it and click on powder which goes to that company site and buy direct? Not sure how this works with gunbot. Thanks.

09cs,
Do I have to join gunbot or can i just look at it and click on powder which goes to that company site and buy direct? Not sure how this works with gunbot. Thanks.

No, you don't have to join, just click & shop. You're playing the powder hostage game with a whole bunch of folks, it's not going to get better quickly!
I know you're not going to take my advice, but look to a different powder.

09cs,

You can either go to gunbot's website and look around, or you can download their app for your smartphone.

Which powder for .223? Can't find Varget, CFE 223, H335. Not sure what other powders work well.

Sharpshooterbr,
would like to have app on my Iphone. What is name of app? Not finding it.

Which powder for .223? Can't find Varget, CFE 223, H335. Not sure what other powders work well.

Win 748 has BEEN available? Temp sensitive on the lower end, but it's the powder that brought 223 into favor. Some Norma powders work, and they've been available. Seen some H322 also.

Also, IMR 8208xb is around.

IMR 3031 is good.
VV 133, 135

I hate to lecture, but you guys are going to fight yourselves right out of shooting waiting for these marquis
powders.

Last edited:
Have you tried looking at powder valley? I live in Hawaii and varget is hard to come by here but they had it in stock and shipped it here. Been also hearing good reviews on that 2000mr powder but can't find it here locally either.

09cs,

No, its free.

I don't see it on there much, but when I do its normally just 1# jugs with places that have a 1 or 2 limit

I am really fond of BenchMark so far. But, I have not been reloading all that long.
Are you near Sedalia? The local gun store there had Varget, CFE 223, and others when I was in there last week. Varget and BenchMark were both 30 bucks a pound, CFE was cheaper.

MO Boy:)

Guys,
I found some 3 lbs of AR-Comp locally. Bought it without knowing much about it. I hope it will work well! Thanks for all the help!

I will try AR Comp that I recently found 3 lbs of. I think it will work. Loads great! Hope it shoots that well. Thanks guys for all the help.

bbowles,
For 223, use caution on their load data, friend bought 8 lbs when it first came out. They only had 1 load for 68gr Hornady, it was way hot in 3 guns we tested. Thank god the guy only loaded 50 or so. It was some dinged up brass. 1 grain less and things were fine.

milo,
Thanks for the warning! I started at 21.3-21.9 (three in .3 increment loads) and was surprised that loads seemed very mild. Could tell by recoil. But will get a chrono on them today to know more. Have 21.9-23.5 loaded up in .3 gr increments to do some pressure testing and chrono work. Hoping can get similar fps as Varget.

Was having hard time finding varget and ran into some AR Comp at local shop. Shot several loads with it this week and am VERY impressed! As good of velocities as varget. Better SD's and more importantly better groups at least in my gun. Also don't have to compress powder to get same velocity. And it is cheaper.

Worth a look.

Was having hard time finding varget and ran into some AR Comp at local shop. Shot several loads with it this week and am VERY impressed! As good of velocities as varget. Better SD's and more importantly better groups at least in my gun. Also don't have to compress powder to get same velocity. And it is cheaper.

Worth a look.

That's what I told you in post #24. While I do have a good supply of Varget on hand and I do like it for 223 77 grain loads, I've found 3 out of 4 of my 308 Win. rifles, AR COMP shoots better for me than Varget.

Last edited: