• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Help with Fly Rod

Longrange****

Old Hat Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2006
Mille Lacs, MN
Anyone here into antique fly rods?

Ive got a rod here that Ive been trying to find info on....I can find info on other sized rods but not exactly what I have...here is the info thats on the tag:

-South Bend Bait Co. (Lots of info on these guys)
-Bamboo (lots of these)
-3 piece (most I found were 4 piece)
-9' (only found 8' & 8.5')
-Comes with an aluminum storage tube (none found with this)
-Aluminum reel
-Cork handle & aluminum back 1/3 where reel goes

The label on the tube reads:

-South Bend Bait Co.
-Split Bamboo Fly Rod
-Fishandfeelfit
-Rod No. 53
-Length 9 FT.

Any ideas on value guys? I can post pics if need be...let me know.

Re: Help with Fly Rod

Hell....I thought you wanted help with using it....I can't help you with pricing it. Send a PM to Boltripper.

I really do want to learn how to use one...BAD I would damn near kill to go on a fly fishing trip....but Im not going to use this thing....got it from my grandfather....think he said he thought he bought it when he was in the army in the 50's.......

I've wanted a nice Bamboo rod for quite some time. But I'd be afraid to use it, hell I've broke 2 of my St. Croix elite flyrods and one G.Loomis in just the past 2 seasons....I have no business using an expensive bamboo rod. LOL. You should post some pics of it.

I used to collect antique lures, rods, reels ect.... I would say you have a rod there worth in the neighborhood of $1K. I could be wrong, but thats my guess.

look closely at the little colored eyelets that the line goes through.....the pricey hand made ones will have them eyelets made of colored stone, not synthetic or plastic.

Ebay may be helpful as to what has been offered and sold

really collectible hand made rods will be signed

in years past many japanese collectors soaked up a fair amount of american hand crafted signed rods.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to collect antique lures, rods, reels ect.... I would say you have a rod there worth in the neighborhood of $1K. I could be wrong, but thats my guess.

</div></div>

Its YOURS for $750!!

The handle 1/3 of the rod has what looks like a glass eyelet in red,
the other sections have twisted wire eyelets....Ill get some pics up here....

Oh....and no signatures that I can find

Ask here. The price mentioned above does not sound unreasonable, assuming good condition. I usually spend several pleasant weekends each year at my friends' trailer in Butternut Grove campground, on the Beaverkill. This past Summer, my Grandson Patrick has started flyfishing with us, and is rarin' to go again this year.

Ok, my brother knows a guy in my area that loves these things and found a bit of info for me...he says the reel is a newer reel made in 1958...here is a pic of the reel...the reel has VERY solid clicks going both directions while winding....

FlyRod001.jpg

FlyRod002.jpg

Here is the rod....He said that the rod was made in the 1930's area and the eyelet is stone on the handle piece...

FlyRod004.jpg

FlyRod003.jpg

Man, that is gorgeous! I looked in an antique lures and tackle value book I have. There was nothing in it covering fly rods. It covers a few reels, but not rods. Is the reel a South Bend?

Thanks Shakey....no the reel is an Edwards No. 40, it looks a little scratched because it seems to be made of a fairly soft aluminum....but the audible clicks with this thing are very solid.

I have a few antique lures too....hell Ive even used them, probably shouldnt but......

Bump....any other ideas?

I tried that site BR but the confirmation email hasnt come back yet..............

The old south bend rods aren't worth much at all. In fact, most of the old mass produced rods aren't worth much. The exception is a lot of the Granger rods, which have quite a following. Unfortunately for you the 9 footers tend to be the least desirable length in South Bend rods. Although I'm not 100% familiar with your specific rod, It's almost certainly worth less than $200 and very likely you'd have a hard time getting more than $100. I don't know beans about the reel, but unless it has a name like Hardy or JW Young the old fly reels don't tend to be worth anything either. In fact, selling them together you'd probably get the same money for the rod whether you included the reel or not.

Here's a link to the "collecting bamboo" sub-forum of a pretty active bamboo fly rod forum. If you want to look for more specific info I suggest you try searching this forum or registering and asking your question directly.

Not trying to step on your info there chuff, but I have a hard time believing that an antique bamboo flyrod would be worth less than $200. You have peaked my interest.

I have 2 'el cheapo fly rods and 1 slightly more expensive (that one son-in-law shut in the tailgate of my K Blazer many years ago). I can't even fathom how nice that thing must handle.

Good luck in your search.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to step on your info there chuff, but I have a hard time believing that an antique bamboo flyrod would be worth less than $200. You have peaked my interest. </div></div>

You have to step back and consider that at one time bamboo was the standard material for ALL fly rods. Just like anything else there were good ones, not so good ones, expensive ones, and cheap ones. These South Bend rods were mass produced in a factory like anything else. Now, an old rod handmade by one of the classic makers like Leonard, Payne, etc could stretch up into the tens of thousands depending on condition. Think of the difference between a beat up old Mauser that's seen thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo and not enough cleaning that you might pick up in a pawn shop versus a lovingly cared for 03-A3 still in its full military dress that Marine Corps armorers carefully turned into the best match rifle they could construct before it found its way to the surplus market. If you look at the wraps around the guides in the photos you can see that these South Bends weren't exactly lovingly crafted with exacting care.

For a modern custom maker to turn a 12' long 3" diameter culm of tonkin cane into a custom split cane fly rod takes about 40 hours of work. I should know - there's a shop right out in my garage for doing just that. Even still, a modern custom rod from a reputable and fairly well known maker can still be had for not much over a thousand - sometimes less. These old South Bends were cranked out by the thousands in a factory. They are NOT handmade rods and should not be confused with one.

As was mentioned here, EBAY is a good source for pricing on these things. They do have quite a following. I have an old Bamboo rod that I tried to cast, when compared to my St.Croix and modern rods, they are a bit of a handful. Kinda like casting a 2x4. I learned that the newer lines don't quite correlate to the older silk lines that were used with these rods back in the day. So by all means learn to fly fish, but try it with a modern rod and then move on the the cane pole if so inclined. I really like the rod though, getting one in nice shape that doesn't have to be restored is nice. Like another poster said, thesethings run all over the board, from very fine, to the wal-mart rods of the day, so do your research.

Wow! I guess I have been under the impression that Bamboo was a premier material and that they were all hand made, to an extent. That all makes sense though.

I always wanted to make my own, but after researching the procedures, no thanks. I don't have the time or patience.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chuff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a modern custom maker to turn a 12' long 3" diameter culm of tonkin cane into a custom split cane fly rod takes about 40 hours of work. I should know - there's a shop right out in my garage for doing just that.</div></div>
If you make two, go ahead and send one my way Chuff! That is just cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-9-South-Bend...A1%7C240%3A1318

Vintage 9' South Bend Bamboo Fly Fishing Rod # 53

I lost count of how many cane rods I repaired and refinished when I had my business but I imagine it was well over two hundred. It's all in the name and quality. South Bend rods were mass produced. Chronology is bamboo, fiberglass, graphite, boron, finally back to graphite. I actually built a fly rod from an old CB whip antenna for a guy.

Thanks guys....Ive got a local guy thats interested in the thing and I might just sell it to him...he offered $75 for the whole package....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to step on your info there chuff, but I have a hard time believing that an antique bamboo flyrod would be worth less than $200. You have peaked my interest.</div></div>

I know guys and all they fish with is antique split bamboo. They pay upwards 0f $2000

Longrange, hold on to the rod......... Don't let the EBAY prices determine what you will do. The older it gets the more it will be worth if you decide to sell it later. As Kharma said, they are still some of the best fly rods around so use it.

The section that is curved can easily be straightened. The stripper guide is agate. The wraps appear to be intact. The cork can be cleaned and sealed. The reel seat can also be cleaned and protected with a light coating of EzOx or something similar. I can't tell if any of the cane joints have split or come unglued but a good repair shop can fix that also. Clean the rod down and wax it with a non-cleaning wax such as carnuba, it will last a long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shakey yankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to step on your info there chuff, but I have a hard time believing that an antique bamboo flyrod would be worth less than $200. You have peaked my interest.</div></div>

I know guys and all they fish with is antique split bamboo. They pay upwards 0f $2000 </div></div>

I'm sure they do. In fact, 2 grand is a pretty low starting point for an antique rod from one of the classic makers. However, they're not paying that for an old South Bend. I guarantee it. Folks that are on the outside of the split cane world tend to believe that bamboo + old = big dollars. The vast majority of the time that isn't true. It really depends on whose name is written above the cork.

Longrange, I wasn't suggesting you should get rid of it. I'd keep it and fish the thing. From the photos you posted it looks very fishable as it is. You'd get much much more personal enjoyment out of fishing it than you'll ever get dollars for selling it. Fish the tip that's straight. If you want to straighten the other one use a heat gun and be very, very gentle. If the cane is too hot to touch you went to far. Keep it moving back and forth, and when you feel the cane start to give remove from the heat and hold it straight while it cools a little. Be VERY careful with a thin tip section and err on the side of caution. When it's heated to the point it needs to be you'll definitely feel it in the way the cane bends.

Thanks guys....there really isnt a place here to use a Fly rod so thats kinda shot....

The rod is definitely fishable in the condition it is now....but Im not a fly fisherman (although I would LOVE to learn someday)

Thanks for the Help guys really....and Chuff you didnt sway me to do something I dont want to do...I just have the rod and no way of really using it here and I need the money, Ive been digging around the house trying to find stuff thats worth the shipping price to sell and found this rod I had forgotten about....

Would asking $150 be out of the question for everything pictured?

There is a shop in Coburn, PA called the Feathered Hook. They deal with alot of bamboo stuff. He has 4 or 5 custom builders he regularly orders from and stocks a good supply of all that old stuff. Call down there and ask for Jonas, phone is 814-349-8757. I tie alot of flies for this guy and is great to deal with. He constantly tries to sell me bamboo crap, aint my style, LOVE my TCR!!!