• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with hunting rifle bottom metal

slm9s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2008
WA
I haven't put a custom hunting rifle together in a while and I'm not up to speed on what to get (or if my parts will even work together). I have slowly assembled parts here and there. I have had a used Kelbly Atlas Tactical short action mag bolt face sitting on the shelf for a while. I bought a Proof 30 cal carbon blank I plan to finish around 18" and will have a Scythe suppressor attached. I bought a used Stocky's carbon lightweight hunting stock that has a bdl inlet. This will be a medium weight 300wsm elk rifle.

My question is, is there a solution to use a BDL cut stock with a M5 cut action with "BDL" bottom metal?

If not, is there a detachable "flush" mag system that will work in my situation (and preferably doesn't cost $400!)? Or a DBM that doesn't hand down 2" i.e. is close to flush?

Thanks in advance.

PS, I weighed the stock, barrel blank, and action and it was 5lb 3oz. Anyone have an educated guess how much the complete rifle with a 21oz razor lht will weigh?

Your Kelby is cut for center feed AI style magazines and it will cost to play flush

Flush

MDT Hunting Bottom Metal with a 3rd magazine = $350ish new

Close to flush

Hawkins M5 Hunter DBM bottom metal and magazine = $325ish new

Snowy Mountain Rifles M5 AICS bottom metal = $380ish new

What mags are you going to use? Even 5 round aics mags will hang down below the bottom of the stock. I’m not really seeing an advantage to a flush mag well…

The advantage of the bdl or flush system 'to me' is that I hunt thick timber a lot and hold the rifle in my hand on the floorplate while stepping over/thru thick brush. A mag sticking down would not allow this as easily.

I do not have a certain mag system in mind. A BDL floorplate would honestly be ideal. I have a HS Prec flush DBM setup on a long action that is great, but this wouldn't fit my m5 cut action I think. Does anyone know if a Wyatt's centerfeed BDL setup would work for me? I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

I have a Stiller Predator in a BellCarlson lightweight stock and BDL mag. The downside is the capacity. I think it only holds two of the 300wsm in the mag and one in the chamber. I maybe wrong as it’s been a while since I messed with it.

LRI has a DBM that uses AI mags and comes with a flush 3 round mag.

I had a custom built using it. Has never had a feeding issue in 300 or so rounds.

Absolutely love it.

It's in this thread.....

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Im running Hawkins Hunter Bottom metal with DBM mags in short and long action config. It works great in my hunting rifles.

I bought a "KwikKlip" https://www.trexlerindustries.com/kwik-klip/ bottom metal and a couple of mags for my SA R700 when it was a 260, and when I opened the bolt face up for a SAUM it just took a little opening the feed lips to get the fatter case sitting in a place where it would feed.
The capacity in SAUM is only 2 rounds though, but in a hunting rifle 3 rounds up and 2 spare in a separate mag in your pocket seem to be sufficient.