• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Help with knife selection <$100 w/ sheath

NY700

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2009
Dallas
Ok guys trying to keep it simple under $100 the best knife i can get my hands on primarily camping knife but would like to beable to field dress a deer with it if i needed too. under a hundred with sheath probably kydex. thinking SOG Seal Pup or gerber LMF II best choice between the two or other options??

Re: Help with knife selection <$100 w/ sheath

The Seal Pup is one of my favorites, but another decent option to look at is the Colt Pathfinder for around 75-80 if I remember right

Photo0365.jpg

I picked up a neat little SOG knife awhile back that would fit the bill. It's not a high end knife but has a blade that swivels to a saw blade. Two models, one with a gut hook. I think it's an SOG revolver and only ran about $35.

I've got the SealPup and it's a great knife. I've dressed deer with it and it works. I've also got the SOG FieldPup as my main hunting knife. I think it's a better hunting knife than the SealPup but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I can't comment on the Gerber.
JMC

ESEE/RAT RC3 or RC4. Both are right at your price ceiling and are great knives. Also check out the Ranger Knives Afgan and Shiv models. The SOG Seal Pup is good too.

I have a RC4 now that is great and I'll probably end up with several of the others I mentioned as well.

Spyderco's Moran knives are really handy in the field. They are not sexy at all but they would do the job well. They MSRP around $119 or so, but you should be able to find one for less. I think this fits all of your criteria.

+1 on the Esee. Cleaned a deer with the 4 last night. Solid and durable

Rat RC-6 is an excellent choice, it will handle anything thrown its way.Even with a six" blade it is fast handling blade that feels like a 4-5" package.

As others have already said, you can't go wrong with ESEE/Rat Rc3 or Rc4.They're awesome knives with one of the best warranties out there. I've owned a Sog Seal Pup and wouldn't recommend it for a field knife or as a hunter. I'd also suggest the good old Buck Vanguard.

This one: Benchmade Nimravus Cub w/Kydex sheath

DSCF1561.jpg

Bob

Knowing that when ever you are looking to have one tool do it all there are trade offs, what are your thoughts on partially serated blades on hunting knives. My guess being if not careful you could make it more likely to catch on something you don't want to cut. The seal pup eite for instance has the rasp on the back of the blade which I'm guessing would make field dressing nearly impossible but I could be completely wrong, thoughts?

Advantage of high carbon steel vs stainless for this application?

I like my Benchmade!

IMG_8028a.jpg

Left to right is the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian, Benchmade Rant, and last is a Ka-Bar Becker. I like the Rant the best - I've had the Becker for a while and it is a bit heavy. Benchmade are still made here in the USA as well.

Good Luck,

JamieD

+1 for either the RAT 3 or 4. I've abused my R3 for several years and it holds an edge very well.

Bought this Carl Schlieper knife 36 years ago. Served me well in the jungles of Panama and through out the world during my 20 plus career in the Army. Paid $99 back than. It is a great knife.

IMG_6118.jpg
IMG_6119.jpg

The rest of my knives:

IMG_6114.jpg
IMG_6116.jpg
DSC_0947.jpg
DSC_0931.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NY700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Advantage of high carbon steel vs stainless for this application? </div></div>

Edge holding and sharpening ease.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm thinking for the price I'm going with esee rc4. One more question if you were going out with only one knife and the chance of getting stuck out there for a while would you go straight edge or partially serrated. I understand sharpening serations is a bitch but is it worth it if you needed it to hack and cut

I hate serrated blades. Not good for anything except rope and frog legs. You will really like the Esee.

RAT Cutler RC-3MIL

Awesome nice. Great sheath that works well for carying since its not a huge hunk of plastic

You'll love the RC4, one problem with the ESEE knives... they're addictive.

I would pass on serrations as I see them as wasting good cutting edge.

ESEE-3 or 4, or a HEST. Don't know how the HEST pry bar would hurt during field dressing, but I adore mine.

Glock makes a great fixed blade for 25 bucks and itll take
some abuse.

I really want to thank everyone for the great advice. I actually have a glock knife and yea for under $25 its a great piece to keep around, spring steel I redid the edge the factory job isnt very good and it makes the perfect knife for those rough jobs that may not end well for the knife. I think im sold on the esee RC3. Originally i was thinking i wanted something bigger for rough jobs and hacking if needed while in camp but figured if i went to big there is the chance i choose not to carry it and then its worthless and for field dressing it could get in the way. So glock for abuse in camp, esee RC3 for carry and field use and i picked on a SOG field kit for $60 entrenching tool, saw, hatchet, and salute folder. Not the best folding knife but for the price reviews were good and it should be handy. Now i just need some one to sell me there Esee like new for cheap! thanks all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kihnspiracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ESEE will do everything you want or need from a knife. </div></div>

Quoted for truth!

STP80038_resized.sized.jpg

OK guys now that i have decided on the Esee RC3 best vendor to get it from? obviously lowest price and fastest turn around. any hind vendors out there to toss the business to??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hattori Hanz&#333;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">knifeworks.com

Good selection, good prices. I've used them dozens of times; shipping has always been very, very fast and never an error.

You're making a great choice on the RAT btw </div></div>

Agreed 100% They haven't messed up any of my orders, think thats where I got my Ka-Bar D2 at. Great knife except the serrated part -_- Looking back I would of went with a Rat knife.

Edit: High Carbon is almost always the way to go btw. "If it don't rust you don't need it." What the old timers told me at least lol.

+1 ESEE knives are a awesome. I have used my 3 for several deer this year already!

this might sound tacky but the bear grylls edition gerber knife would be a great camping knife...comes with full tang blade, fire starter and sharpener in the sheath...and its only $50 bucks..something to consider but i doubt any usfulness in field dressing

i just picked up a K-Bar/Becker Magnum Camp knife (BK-5) really liking it, compared to the other Becker knives it feels lighter and quicker handling...super sharp out of the box, but not really liking the case that it came with...i think im going to make a leather case for it..