• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with new setup on RPR .338 LM

DarthYoshi79

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2023
Plumas Lake, CA
Hello,

I am a military veteran and I just got a new RPR .338 LM and I want to start getting into precision shoots and competitions. I am looking to find out best recommendations for the bipod and scope. Currently looking at the Vortex Viper HSLR 6-24X50 FFP. Thoughts?

Also, anyone who has shot this RPR and caliber have any changes they recommend for performance? Only upgrade I have read so far was on swapping out factory magazines with a Magpul or AI magazine for better feeding.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_000122.jpg
    IMG_20231120_000122.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Haha
Reactions: Megalodong
Well...338 Lapua is probably not the best cartridge to get started with if you want to get into matches. Practical rifle matches are usually limited to .30 caliber with a speed limit of 3150 fps.
338 LM is still used a little bit in ELR matches but I don't think an RPR or Vortex Viper is going to cut the mustard.
A 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor even a .308 Win would be a better choice. If your optics budget is tight, take a look at Arken Optics. You can finance the higher end optics through retailers, it's a good investment in your shooting. A MDT-GRND bipod is a good entry level bipod.

Well...338 Lapua is probably not the best cartridge to get started with if you want to get into matches. Practical rifle matches are usually limited to .30 caliber with a speed limit of 3150 fps.
338 LM is still used a little bit in ELR matches but I don't think an RPR or Vortex Viper is going to cut the mustard.
A 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor even a .308 Win would be a better choice. If your optics budget is tight, take a look at Arken Optics. You can finance the higher end optics through retailers, it's a good investment in your shooting. A MDT-GRND bipod is a good entry level bipod.
Thanks for your reply. I have shot .308 for a few years at 200 yards but was wanting to get into the ELR. I did write the wrong scope by accident, I was actually looking at the Vortex Razor HD GEN III 6-36X56 FFP with either a precision Cantilever mount or precision rings. I will check out that bipod, I was just looking at GRS OTB Heavy Duty Bipod, seemed more stable that UTB. I have a private sponsor helping me get geared up to start, so budget is better than if I was on my own. So right now looking for the best setup to work with my current .338 rifle.

You should take a look at the Nightforce ELR challenge. They posted a really good album of photos on facebook. You can get a better idea of what those guys are using. There is also an ELR section on here.

The vortex viper gen 2 willl do everything you need on that gun. There is diminished return getting something better until you’ve spent a while behind the gun.

Buy a used gen 2 5-25 (or something 800-1k used) and spend the difference on the expensive ammo for that caliber and a good bipod (used atlas for $200)

Also no cantilever mounts on bolt guns. The vortex rings are sufficient for that kind of setup.

I’d also recommend a new muzzle break - the area 419 sidewinder will make shooting that much more enjoyable for recoil.

The best advice I can give is for you to bring that rifle back if you still can... look up the price of .338 ammo and components and you'll see why.

~$6.75 per round is steep: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016934878?pid=392749

I'd recommend starting with 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor, since factory ammo is available and relatively affordable (more like ~$1.00-1.50 per round if you shop smart and buy in bulk).

• Haha
Reactions: Flea21
I LOVE my RPR in 338 Lapua Magnum. I hand load for it and am running 300gr Bergers. I haven't tuned the seating depth just yet but im consistent at .5 MOA right now. As far as what Ive changed on it goes... I had the bolt fluted by AD Arms and the shroud changed out to an Anarchy along with the bolt tool too. Also, the trigger is a Timney Two Stage at 8oz 1st stage and 1lb 2nd stage. I changed the muzzle brake out to a Terminator TF and lastly added a PBR Bag Rider. As far as optic goes, I'm running a Vortex Gen II Razor 4.5-27x56 with Vortex PMR Rings.

I will say, this is the best factory rifle I own. However, thats subjective being that its the only factory rifle I own.. LoL

The RPR 338 Lapua is my favorite rifle too. I’ve owned it since 2019 and I’ve been through 1500 or so rounds by now (over 800 since July 2023). Got tired of waiting for the Triggertech trigger and got a Timney, glad I didn’t wait any longer (curved, prefer the straight on my 6.5 RPR), Vortex G3 (Never though I could justify anything beyond my PST II’s, but now I want to replace the other 2 I have left as well). Also have an ABR (https://www.adjustablebagrider.com/) and the matching Protector rear bag. I don’t shoot competition and its only purpose is informal 200y ”group therapy”. I’ve used H1000 since day 1, but since it was unobtainable at some point, looked for alternatives. LRT gets the velocity but no consistency - and groups. N170 gets me there and I don’t think I’ll switch back to H1000 since N170 appear to be cheaper these day (less expensive is probably more accurate). I don’t get the hype about N570, it smokes more than black powder if you ask me and doesn’t get me any additional velocity over n170. Best results I’m having with 250 Scenars and 300 Bergers. I’ve tried 285 ELD-m and 250 Bergers but got less accuracy, 250 Bergers I might as well throw at the target as there is no neck to provide any tension.
Recently replaced the brake for a EC tuner brake. It doesn’t look as good as the factory brake, but as a brake it works just as good. I think it also helps to shrink groups. Bipod is Mystic. Works OK-ish, but there’s no way to torque the legs to a point they don’t shift up. I’ve asked Jerry, the original Mystic guy and he simply replied to find something aftermarket. Still waiting for EGW to come back with a solution.
Anyway, I’m trying to hurry up and wear out my barrel so i can upgrade to LRI, but so far I’ve not been able to improve my skills to justify the barrel swap… yet.

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-28 15:36:10.831082.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-28 15:36:10.831082.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1705.jpeg
    IMG_1705.jpeg
    650.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-04 15:03:34.361861.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-02-04 15:03:34.361861.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-28 15:37:47.492472.png
    Ballistic-X-Export-2024-01-28 15:37:47.492472.png