• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Help with picking a scope

Plinker 73

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
I am in need of advice on a scope. I am looking for a smaller 42mm scope with a standard mill dot cross hair reticle for a AR 10 in 308. Would prefer side focus open turret FFP. Shooting will be 500 yards max and under. Would like to stay around $500 to $700 and somewhere around 8 to 10 power variable. Just need help for older eyes.
Thanks for any advice and help
Pinker 73

I am in need of advice on a scope. I am looking for a smaller 42mm scope with a standard mill dot cross hair reticle for a AR 10 in 308. Would prefer side focus open turret FFP. Shooting will be 500 yards max and under. Would like to stay around $500 to $700 and somewhere around 8 to 10 power variable. Just need help for older eyes.
Pinker 73
Here you go... They're tough as nails and built in Japan. Excellent scopes. I have several of them myself. 👍🏼

Here’s a recent pic of my custom 6.5 Grendel DMR with the same scope (mine is SFP MQ-DM reticle…No longer made), in a Vortex CM-202 mount. Whenever I buy a SWFA scope, I always include the Butler Creek caps, sunshade, and ARD (Killflash) in the purchase.

1E191936-4D31-4506-998F-2166BDB09453.jpeg

Last edited:
Primary arms is having a big open box and blem sale right now.

Pinker 73
What do you think of the Sector Optics G1 ID 1-8 . I would rather have mil than moa and at least 1/4 moa adjustments but it does have the reticle i want and is in my desired size range. I dont know anything about quality and customer service. Any experience anyone.
Thanks

What do you think of the Sector Optics G1 ID 1-8 . I would rather have mil than moa and at least 1/4 moa adjustments but it does have the reticle i want and is in my desired size range. I dont know anything about quality and customer service. Any experience anyone.
Thanks
If I considered increasing my budget at that price range I would invest in a better optics. IMHO when you get into $1500-$2000 price range that's when you might start thinking about features and things like "best value for money". Below that range there is way too much gain in the optics quality to sacrifice that for something else.

So do your homework. Check out the optics database: https://sageratsafaris.com/the-optics-database/ . Search what people say about models you might consider, and make your choice.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to post a link to Ilya's recommendations: https://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=623

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input. Still not sure which way to go but still looking. Just need to put my eyes on some of the smaller scopes.
Plinker 73

Just YouTube Dark Lord of Optics
That’s who he tagged. He’s got a wealth of various comparisons from someone that actually knows what they’re talking about. Wide range of prices and quality.

Just YouTube Dark Lord of Optics
That’s who he tagged. He’s got a wealth of various comparisons from someone that actually knows what they’re talking about. Wide range of prices and quality.
Ok thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. Still not sure which way to go but still looking. Just need to put my eyes on some of the smaller scopes.
Plinker 73
Checkout my Arken thread, if you haven't already. There's lots of discussion on how it compares to lots of other scopes by several people comparing them in-person side-by-side. 👍🏼

With their $100 off coupon using the code: "SALUTE" or "#GoBranon" you won't be able to beat it.

• Love
Reactions: acudaowner
Arken Optics would be a good place to look. $349 with the coupon is an awesome price for some awesome features in a scope!

DK