• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with powder option?

jamesbern

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
CT
New to reloading and waiting for all my stuff to arrive. It seems to me that powder locally is a bit hard to find and since I don't want to get caught without powder I was going to grab a pound or two online so I can at least have something to start with.

I'm waiting for my Sierra and Hornady reloading manuals, but from what I'm reading Varget is a good all around powder for a 308 load.

I have Federal Match and Remington Premier cases and scored 400 178gr Amax bullets. Going to go with 210 or 210M large rifle primers.

I don't plan to load for at least a few weeks, till I can really learn more and read the manuals, but I want to get some powder so I don't screw myself over if I can't find it later.

I found Varget in stock. Would it be a bad idea to grab a couple pounds to have on hand.

varget, imr4064, rl15, benchmark, ramshot tac. all good powders to have around when reloading 308.

Thanks guys, that's what I heard as well. Found Federal 210 Match primers too so I think i'm going to order a few pounds and few thousand primers to have on hand.

Don't forget CFE223, power pro 2000 mr, h4895.
First choice would be either Varget or IMR 4064. Varget if that's what you got. I'd start at 41 grains if your using good brass with some capacity. I found an EXCELLENT load with 42.0 IMR 4064 and the 178 amax. So DONT COUNT THAT POWDER OUT!! However, pp2000mr, and cfe223 will give you 75 to 100 fps more and are REALLY good powders for the 175 + grain bullets.

Where are you finding Varget? I have a friend hard up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"...I was going to grab a pound or two online..."

The hazmat fee will cost about the same as a pound of powder, so buy as much as you can so spread the cost out.

Thanks guys, that's what I heard as well. Found Federal 210 Match primers too so I think i'm going to order a few pounds and few thousand primers to have on hand.

Do yourself a favor and find some different loads using different powders. During the past few years powder was extremly scarce. Varget and R15 were never in stock. Reason being it's everyone's internet pet powders. Yes they work awesome, but when the powder scare sets in, these are the first powders to disappear off the shelves. I did a lot of .308 testing with Win 748, Benchmark, 2000MR, 4064 , and XBR8028. My fav powder is Win 748, it's very versatile (It also works awesome in my AR-15) and is very easy to meter (this is important for the new handloader) , I also liked Benchmark and 2000MR , but 2000MR has become very hard to find lately, so have not used it in the past 4 months. 4064 is a great stick powder, but a miserable PIA to meter, so if you don't have a lot patients, you're better off using a ball powder for now. Good luck ! I have found some awesome loads using all of the above mentioned powders , so no matter what powder is (or is not) available i'll have an accurate recipe all ready to go.

Last edited:
I grabbed a few pounds online at Cabelas as well as couple boxes of primers...hazmat was only $20 and I figured I minds as well grab it while I can.

I love Varget I use it for .223 and .308 loads, living here the temp changes quite a bit this time of year from day to day and it is the most forgiving powder I have found for temp changes, meters nicely as well!

If you mail order powder, realize that there is a HazMat fee of around $25 PER PACKAGE. So if you buy 1 pound, you pay that fee. If you buy 10 pounds, you pay the same fee.

So, in general, if you buy online, buy a reasonable quantity. Also, these days, it is better to buy more when you find it, as you do not know when you will be able to find more.

And a typical .308 load with Varget nets you around 150 rounds per pound of powder.