• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with Propane Setup for Annealing

TheNatural21

Private
Minuteman
  • May 30, 2020
    I recently bought an inexpensive flame annealer. It's pretty similar to the "black betty" DIY one. It wasn't much more than buying the parts so I saved some time and bought the assembled unit.
    photo_ECHO_03_530x@2x.jpg

Problem: my flame keeps blowing itself out. It looks like there's the odd spurt of liquid that comes out of the nozzle and then some half-annealed cases fall into my collection pan and I have to stop everything and reset.

I'm using a Benzomatic torch like this one. I didn't like it on the small 1lb bottles for a variety of reasons (doesn't like being tipped, possibly inconsistent pressure/temperature, cost of the disposable cylinders).
    mag-torch-mt525-3c-1692oz-propane-torch-kit.jpg

So I put it on a 20lb tank using a high pressure hose that I bought forever ago for my Portable Buddy heater (Mr. Heater brand hose) like this.
    51FQucSETYS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Other stuff that might be relevant:
    -propane tank has sat for a long time (few years), feels about half full
    -indoors so no wind and normal room temperature
    -no pressure regulator anywhere in this configuration, adjusts only with valve

Is the lack of pressure regulator my problem, and what are you guys using to add one? I looked at a new hose with adjustable "high pressure" regulator and a gauge, but the end is female 3/8 flared. I can't seem to find a fitting that's male 3/8 flared on one end and male 1-20 (disposable tank thread to attach to the torch) on the other end.

I actually did find the fitting in one place online, but ships from China and estimated delivery in November. Seemed sketchy that China was the only one selling these.

Would a torch head with a built in regulator solve my problem? I've seen some that advertise being able to work at all angles because of a regulator, but a bit pricey to buy just to experiment.

That looks pretty well made. Where did you get it?
    A company here in Canada called "Gong Joe". It's well made for the price. Fit and finish isn't the best, but I wanted something budget friendly and it fit the bill

Regulator will probably help. You can get an adjustable reg that will do 0-30 psi and then standard tank outlet fitting to attach to the hose you already have.
    Also the 3/8 flare might be, or could be adapted to 1/4”, and then from there to the tank fitting you need.

It came in a kit with a (14oz?) Blue bottle that I don't have anymore. Torch has a stamp "use with propane gas only
    Nevermind I seen your using a 20# bottle. See above for most likely issue

The problem you describe sounds like the bottle is lying on its side or the hose has a low spot in it. It needs to be upright. As far as a regulator, it is neither recommended or needed. The torch is orificed for tank pressure.
    You might have nailed it. The hose was longer than needed so it went from the tank to the floor and up to the table the annealer was on. Do I need to hang the hose up on something to avoid the low spot?

I would look at the hose position. Most handheld torches fo not work with regulators; don’t ask how I know.

I had the same problem. The torch has an orifice designed for tank pressure. Your hose has needle valves in it and is constricting flow too much. You need a torch or hose without an orifice.