• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Help with range layout and target sizes

HayStax

Battle Born
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
BFE, NV
I’m going to build some steel targets that will be really sturdy but moveable with a backhoe. Looking for input for combinations of target sizes and shapes on each yard line. Thinking 300,400,600,800,1000 with 2MOA steel and a couple smaller target off each side. Plan to incorporate a xylophone at the 600yd for wind practice.

Are spinners or other reactionary targets worth the effort to build? I’m leaning towards KYL style swinging gongs of 1MOA-ish sizes and some life size deer or elk vitals at the 3,4,6 yds and then just additional gongs or trees at longer distance.

What is ideal range for tall target/scope test?

Are .2MIL width target segments a good size for xylophone?

I have about 180* to work with for layout, facing north so say 270* - 90*. 200yd & 300yd will be kinda close to 0* for inspection of paper but open to ideas of where to place other targets.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sounds like you’re going to make a baller set up so I’d say have fun with it.

I put a kyl at 500 and 700 with random other steel from 400-800. I shoot the 500 kyl more than most everything else combined because it’s only 10 feet off the side of the road and it’s easy to get to so that’s also where I set my paper target board at. The 500 kyl is 5 plates from 12” down to 4” so it’s also a good challenge with plenty of space behind to spot a miss. My 700 kyl I have 6 plates from 18” down to 3” but it’s got some geography behind it that makes spotting misses tougher.

I bet you’ll move the stuff around several times as you add more steel and figure out what you shoot and what you don’t. I would put them all in the same general direction though just for ease, especially if you are adding shooting props.

8E877010-A357-4A3F-B608-3AC46A60A561.jpeg

E3147F04-DA19-4145-A148-966CB0AE01B4.jpeg

My favorite part is my bench and shade cover though. A little escape from the sun and rain so you can shoot in all conditions comfortably
8F7656B8-95D2-401D-9034-8BC946556946.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6.5SH and HayStax
One of the easiest mistakes made is setting targets where they are the most visible, like on a rise or a knoll. It makes sense right off, but only if you hit every shot, because the drop off behind will have you scratching your head. If you are not going to build berms, targets should have a natural backstop, you are responsible for every bullet fired.
Sounds like you will have a nice layout when done.