• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with ranges along the way

sam1colt

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2020
Need some advice. Going on a bit of a road trip and looking for some recommendations for ranges to hit along the way. Heading out from central Texas over to the Whittington Center then up through Denver and Jackson Wyoming. Through Yellowstone to Polson Montana. Then down through Salt Lake City to hit Zion National Park and Monument Valley before heading back to Texas. Taking my own steel targets. Have a place to shoot out to a mile and beyond in Montana. With all that said... Are there any can’t miss, destination, bad ass long distance ranges in my general direction of travel that I should put on the itinerary?

Reactions: Maggot
Need some advice. Going on a bit of a road trip and looking for some recommendations for ranges to hit along the way. Heading out from central Texas over to the Whittington Center then up through Denver and Jackson Wyoming. Through Yellowstone to Polson Montana. Then down through Salt Lake City to hit Zion National Park and Monument Valley before heading back to Texas. Taking my own steel targets. Have a place to shoot out to a mile and beyond in Montana. With all that said... Are there any can’t miss, destination, bad ass long distance ranges in my general direction of travel that I should put on the itinerary?
You may never leave the Whittington Center, Im a life member.

Wow, what a trip, Ive done most of it. Polson is either on the Flathead Kootenai Reservation, or very close. The natives there can take game all year. Stunningly beautiful country. I lived in a logging camp up there cutting timber for a summer. Got snowed on the 28th of June.

If you have time stop in St. Ignatius (aka Mission) and check out the old Jesuit church there. It has whats said to be the second most beautiful fresco ceiling in the USA.

As far as 'Dont miss destinations' the Grand Canyon is certainly one. Breathtaking. About 50 years ago I hiked front the North Rim to the river and back. Jeez Im getting old, but hope to do it again.

Polson is on the res right at the bottom of Flathead Lake. Been through St. Ignatius before but never visited the church. Won’t miss it this time. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Reactions: Maggot
The only range in Eastern Idaho that has long distance capability and is open to the public is the Unified Sportsmen's Club in Rexburg, http://uscidaho.org/. They are set up shoot out to 1000 yards. Can't say it is a destination point but it sure can be challenging it you like shooting in high wind conditions. Lots of BLM land (the Federal Agency, not the other) in the high desert area that you can set up to shoot much further if you want. However if you are going late in the summer BLM land may be closed for shooting due to fire danger.

How much time are you planning to take for this trip? You are covering a lot of distance and the parks you are going to are not a one day stop and see type. Jackson, Tetons and Yellowstone are a minimum of 2 days with 3 or 4 being much better if you want to see them in much detail. If you haven't made reservations of places to stay, even for camping, it may be too late to find much now.

You don't have Glacier National Park listed to visit but you will be very close to it and it is worth seeing. Lived in SE Idaho for 23 years and have visited many of the areas you want to see. There is a lot of beautiful country out there and driving from one to the other is not quick if you want to take in the sights along the way. So many things to see you really don't want to be in a hurry. This needs to be at least a 2 week trip and an additional week would make it even better.

One additional stop recommendation is the Air Force Museum at Hill Air Force Based near Ogden Utah. Free admission and they have a SR 71 Blackbird on display.

The only range in Eastern Idaho that has long distance capability and is open to the public is the Unified Sportsmen's Club in Rexburg, http://uscidaho.org/. They are set up shoot out to 1000 yards. Can't say it is a destination point but it sure can be challenging it you like shooting in high wind conditions. Lots of BLM land (the Federal Agency, not the other) in the high desert area that you can set up to shoot much further if you want. However if you are going late in the summer BLM land may be closed for shooting due to fire danger.

How much time are you planning to take for this trip? You are covering a lot of distance and the parks you are going to are not a one day stop and see type. Jackson, Tetons and Yellowstone are a minimum of 2 days with 3 or 4 being much better if you want to see them in much detail. If you haven't made reservations of places to stay, even for camping, it may be too late to find much now.

You don't have Glacier National Park listed to visit but you will be very close to it and it is worth seeing. Lived in SE Idaho for 23 years and have visited many of the areas you want to see. There is a lot of beautiful country out there and driving from one to the other is not quick if you want to take in the sights along the way. So many things to see you really don't want to be in a hurry. This needs to be at least a 2 week trip and an additional week would make it even better.

One additional stop recommendation is the Air Force Museum at Hill Air Force Based near Ogden Utah. Free admission and they have a SR 71 Blackbird on display.
I’m leaving today for two weeks. My brother lives up in Polson and I’ve been there several times. Glacier will be closed for another month at least but is awesome. I have most of my sightseeing planned out on the way up and I’ve driven that route several times. Was really looking for any choice shooting spots on the way back through Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico. I will definitely add the Air Force museum to the itinerary. Thanks for the heads up!