• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with Remy 700 Accuracy issues

Triggs75

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
NorCal
A little help please with my Remy 700 accuracy. Specs of gun are below. I did have the bottom metal changed out and the trigger. I have only about 100 rounds of factory ammo through the rifle as of now but I do not believe this should be happening.

Sorry no pics of the target. What is happening is I aim dead center on the target at 100 yds our and the first shot was 2 inches low. The next two shots were about 7 inches high but tight to each other. Then the next two shots were about 3 inches high but tight to each other. Then the next two were about 3 inches low but tight.

So with the first 10 rounds I had a Vertical spread of about 10+ inches. What the heck could this be? The scope is new, and I have not tried it on another rifle as of yet. I will try it hopefully this coming weekend.

Ammo used has been: Hornady Super performance 150 gr & Hornady Match 168 gr bhtp. Both had simular results

Remington 700 Tact. 5-R 24" Barrel .308

Bell & Carlson M40 stock

Added:
EGW 20moa base
Seekins Rings Low
Vortex Viper PST 6-24
Badger Ordnance M5 Trigger Guard
AI mags
Timney 510 Trigger

img2212un.jpg

img2210d.jpg

Have you checked for proper torque on the scope ring screws? Base screws? Action screws? Who installed the scope?

Is this your first precision rifle? If so, have an experienced shooter shoot it and see what his results are.

Do you have access to another scope to try? If it wasn't doing this before the new scope, that could easily be your issue.

I second the motion on the scope! I have the same rifle and it is a TAC driver! It sounds like something is loose, is the stock properly tightened since the install of the box magazine? I would check the bolts for proper torque and all your screws. Check that and then let me know what happens.

Does this rifle have a proven history of being accurate prior to current issues? Visually inspect the bore, ensure free floated barrel, I'd give the rile a cleaning, inspect the crown. Then unbolt/unscrew, action from stock, base, rings. re-install all components ensuring torque specs along the way. Test. Take a spare scope to the range you trust in case the problem lies with the new scope.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I installed the scope myself. This is my first bolt action rifle in a long time, but I have other variant types of rifles and never came across this. So this weekend I will re-torque everything and bring an extra scope to test. I just cannot see torqueing of screws could through a rifle off by that much.
The rifle is new and has been out 2 times.

The first time, before the bottom metal replacement the shots were not as bad as the 10 inch difference but it was there. I just thought it was my first time out with it and it was factory ammo. But this time with such a bad difference I know there is something up.

Torque specs??
Bottom screws torque 55 to 65 in/lbs? Both front and back screw should be same torque?

Scope ring torque 15 to 20 in/lbs?

Scope rings to base torque???

Thanks for the help.

Chad

Your rings should come with directions for their specific torque. I haven't used Seekins, but Badger and NF I use 20 in/lbs on the caps, 65 in/lbs on the cross bolts. Make sure the rings are slide toward the muzzle in the rail slots. Otherwise, they can move with recoil.

Action screws....I usually do 60 in/lbs on front and 45 in/lbs on the back. Make sure you tighten them with your muzzle pointed to the sky and tap the rifle on the but to make sure the recoil lug seats against the stock.

Something is loose. Disassemble everything and reassemble with a torque wrench using torque as spec'ed by the manufacturers.
If the problem persists, it is either the barrel or the scope. However, not even remington can botch up a barrel to shoot like that. It has to be the optic in that case.

The fact that you get a couple shots touching here and there tells me it's probably not an issue with the barrel/action. I doubt subtle differences in torque of the various screws is going to cause a problem like this either(assuming all screws are reasonably tight). You probably have a serious bedding issue or a dud scope.

Your rings should come with directions for their specific torque. I haven't used Seekins, but Badger and NF I use 20 in/lbs on the caps, 65 in/lbs on the cross bolts. Make sure the rings are slide toward the muzzle in the rail slots. Otherwise, they can move with recoil.

Action screws....I usually do 60 in/lbs on front and 45 in/lbs on the back. Make sure you tighten them with your muzzle pointed to the sky and tap the rifle on the but to make sure the recoil lug seats against the stock.

Thanks for the info and the tips. I will do that.

Something is loose. Disassemble everything and reassemble with a torque wrench using torque as spec'ed by the manufacturers.
If the problem persists, it is either the barrel or the scope. However, not even remington can botch up a barrel to shoot like that. It has to be the optic in that case.

LOL yeah has to be something loose or the scope. Thanks

The fact that you get a couple shots touching here and there tells me it's probably not an issue with the barrel/action. I doubt subtle differences in torque of the various screws is going to cause a problem like this either(assuming all screws are reasonably tight). You probably have a serious bedding issue or a dud scope.

How can you tell if it is a bedding issue? What should I look for?

To cause problems like you're having it would have to be something drastic, like a chunk of crap between the action and stock. You can loosen the front and rear guard screws independently, if there is a problem the rifle will squirm around in the stock. Basically, you tighen both scews as you normally would. Loosen either the front or rear scew and watch for any shift. Repeat the process and try the other one.

For the record, I'm leaning towards a scope problem.

Kind of hard to tell from the picture, but is the objetive bell (scope cover) touching the barrel. If it is touching, I would find a way to make some clearance. Either remove the cover or try some taller rings. This may be part of the problem.

My guess would be your are putting different amounts of torque or pressure on the stock causing a vertical shift. It might not have a great bedding job or the action may sit in such a way as it can be moved per se.

Try to be very consistent on your loading the bipod, and see if groups tighten up.

Please make sure you report mack when you find out what was causing the issue...
i was leaning towards lose hard ware, rather it be the scope base/ring or action screws. also check for stock contacting barrel, (beding job)

anything past that and it could be the indian behind the bow :cool:

I've had a similar problem and it eded up being the base screws were too long specifically the front screw. It was bottoming out on the barrel threads and not applying torque evenly onto the base. I filed away some of the thread and the problem disappeared

I'm in agreement with the previous posts - I'd do a complete tear down and remove from the stock. Check bedding, torque settings, remove rings and base, re-torque to manufactures settings....Document what you do so that you won't second-guess yourself.

I'd bet my money on scope or mounting hardware...I'd also be interested in knowing how the gun shot at 50 yards before and after you make any changes.

Thank you guys for all the helpful ideas. The scope is not touching the barrel. I have written down all the recommended manufacture torque specs and will do this weekend.

I will report back my findings. Thanks again everyone.

Remove your action from the stock, and run a file around all the sharp edges of the alum. bedding block. Check for burs.

***Update****

Well took her apart yesterday and re-torqued to each manufactures specs and took her out this morning. Before I loosened up the bolts/screws I torqued to see if any bolts were loose and the scope mount screws to the base had some more torque to go, but the rest of the screws were just about at the right torque. When I broke the rifle down when removing the bottom metal I made sure when loosening the bolts the barrel wouldn’t shift and it didn't. I broke the rest of the rifle down to just the stock and checked for any burs or debris and seemed clear. Then just put her back together to proper torque specs.

At the range today, everything went smooth with tight groups with 5 round groups. Well tight for me at 100 yds. :p Put 40 rounds down her and all groups were good.

SO a quick rebuild with torqueing and she is good to go! Thanks guys for all the help. :D It is just amazing that my groups last week were that far off. I am assuming it was the scope mounts to the base shifting during shots.

Thanks again,

Chad