• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help with scope

dyna962007

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2012
STL MO area
What do you recommend as a good scope for a 308, 26" barrel AR platform, for long range accurate shooting out to around 1,000 yards more or less. Something of very high quality but not completely crazy in price. Best value but a serious scope.

Reactions: simonp
What do you recommend as a good scope for a 308, 26" barrel AR platform, for long range accurate shooting out to around 1,000 yards more or less. Something of very high quality but not completely crazy in price. Best value but a serious scope.

Need budget amount and what kind of shooting you are doing. Weight and size requirments? I assume target? So the reticle is very important?

ZCO 420 is great. I have a Vortex LHT 25x on my precision AR that is pretty dang good for the money and I like the reticle a lot. $1200 ish scope. Some will rec the Burris but I'm just not a fan. The Razor 1-10 is what I have on another AR and I like it a lot too but that's more like 1800 ish, but the PX here usually has one or both of those up for sale used and you can save a few hundred bucks....

Burris XTRIIIi 5.5-30x56. Get with Scott @LibertyOptics for great price. Put it in the cart for the actual price.

Burris XTRIIIi 5.5-30x56. Get with Scott @LibertyOptics for great price. Put it in the cart for the actual price.

Rob, do you feel this one is better than the G3 Razor for a little more?

If so, why?

These seem to be the upper end sweet spot for high quality glass without passing the point of diminishing returns.

Rob, do you feel this one is better than the G3 Razor for a little more?

If so, why?

These seem to be the upper end sweet spot for high quality glass without passing the point of diminishing returns.

The Gen 3 has better glass than the scope I mentioned, the standard XTRIIIi, and linked but it’s also over twice the price. Not just a little more. If he wants to go north of $2k then it’s an option. The Gen 3 glass is just a little better than the Burris Pro when I compared them side by side but again the Gen 3 is more money. About $500-700 more. So all comes down to what you need and want to pay.