• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Help with spec on 243 reamer

colchester

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2009
100 mi. east of Camp Perry
I am going to purchase a 243 win reamer from PTG. I dont want to turn necks. This will be used to chamber for bolt action rifles only for target and varmint shooting. I usually get 0 fb 1* 30 on all my reamers and throat with a separate 1* 30 throater. Suggestions for the other critical dimensions would be appreciated

Re: Help with spec on 243 reamer

What grain bullet will you be loading may be important? Twist of rifle?

I just bought a reamer made for the 115 Dtacs, probably a different reamer would be spec'd if you were only shooting 75 grainers.

Call or write Dave Kiff if you send him a few dummy rounds with your normal bullets seated he can cut the reamer to fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: P.A.R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call or write Dave Kiff </div></div>

This..........
he will happily take the time to talk to you on the phone, listen to what you want to do, and suggest the right dimensions...
great customer service...

.275 is a min spec neck, be aware that lots of Winchester brass has a burr on the end of the neck that WON'T always work with this neck dimension- but the good brass will.
.060 FB will allow you to shoot most 105-107gr bullets and still pull off the varmint weight bullets as well in the same chamber

Lapua brass = .275" Nk.

All others = .272" Nk.

105/108 Bullets = .103" Free bore

115 DTACS = .130" / 140" Free bore

Varmint Bullets = .060/.075" Free Bore

1 degree 30 lead angle a must

Minimum SAAMI spec from the neck shoulder juntion to case head

Gentlemen, thanks for the info. I am going with the .275" neck So another quick question. What is the downside to ordering 1* 30 - 0 freebore reamer and installing the throat with a separate 1* 30 throating reamer. This would give me more flexibility with a given reamer. I can think of a few issues but would like to hear what you guys think. TIA