• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Help!!!!

BoMo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2019
Hello all. I know I'm the FNG and I apologize if I'm ask a question that has already been asked and answered! So I'm at the tail end of gathering parts for a new ar10 build in 6.5 CM and have run across a problem I have noticed some others having.....the trigger. As you probably know, there is way too many options out there! I saw a post somewhere the other day that said not to over think you trigger, well that's easier said than done! Anyways, as I said, the build is a 6.5CM with a 24in Wilson Combat barrel, Aero upper and lower and all the rest of the usual goodies. I plan on using it on coyotes and targets out to 800 yards...(hopefully)! So I'm looking for a trigger with very little creep, a very light pull, and a fast reset, without breaking the bank. Anybody have any suggestions?

Never heard of it. I guess they're pretty good if you're suggesting it? Tried to look them up but the page wouldn't load, stupid smart phone!

Is that a drop in? Being a 2 stage, does it have a bunch of take up in the first stage?

CMC triggers are great. I have a flat trigger @ 3.5 lbs (I think). Had I awhile. I bought a Timney Calvin elite but it was to sensitive for me. The cmc is perfect for me when shooting my ar/creedmoor.
Great for precision work. Not to heavy not to light.

Reactions: bschneiderheinze
I am currently looking at the cmc's but what is the big hype on the flat triggers? I've never used one but the dont look very comfortable.

I’ve switched all my triggers to flat on my bolt guns you get a better feel for when the triggers going to break. It’s probably 50/50 but a lot of people are going to the flat.

Giving the amount of critters I need to thin out and the short amount of time ill have to switch targets on the run, I don't think ill have time to really notice the feel all that much. But I still want something short and smooth. Am I being too picky?

Triggertech AR Diamond

Smooth short take up, solid wall, a crisp sharp break. Goes down to 1.5#.

I own 4 Triggertechs. All 4 adjustable, 1 in a bolt action, 3 in ARs. My go to triggers.
I also have a Rise Armament 535 which is a single stage 3.5# non adjustable drop in trigger. That is in my SHTF rifle.

Last edited:
I just changed my flat CMC 3.5lb for a CMC 2.5lb in my CM. It is really good.

9F5D9610-EB04-4282-964C-60BA18408A98.jpeg
B8234E15-03C0-4F8D-8602-664D45EF4668.jpeg

Reactions: Wyzrd
Sorry, I set my phone down to eat a bowl of ice cream and started watching tv and forgot all about my phone! Anyways, nice pics! How do you like the Athlon?

I am currently looking at the cmc's but what is the big hype on the flat triggers? I've never used one but the dont look very comfortable.
It just feels better to me. I have replaced all my triggers with flat. Handguns included.

I kinda wish I would've went with a bolt gun, but I really wanted the speed of a semi auto

I've looked alot at the geissele's and have read a ton of positive reviews on them, but I think I want something with a touch lighter pull than 4.5 lbs. I'm starting to lean towards the cmc's that were mentioned earlier

If you want a two piece I would suggest the Larue and Geissele. For a one piece there are a ton of options - Triggertech, Wilson Combat, CMT. I think it is hard to beat the Larue for value and build quality.

A good trigger is essential to good accuracy. That's a given.

Yes, it is easily possible to overthink the trigger, along with many other features on the rifle. IMHO, the major accuracy feature is the barrel, then the trigger. Ergonomics are also key to repeatable accuracy.

IMHO, once the agonizing is done, and trigger familiarization is done, your observation that trigger sensation fades into the background is probably right on the money.

My attitude is that the trigger manipulation process should have its basis in the shooter, not the equipment.

While an inconsistent, draggy, creepy, gritty trigger is definitely a detriment; a shooter who can take any reasonably competent trigger and shoot accurately is going to have an edge over the shooter who requires a particular set of trigger characteristics.

What do they do with a trigger that doesn't meet with those demands?

That's a reasonable question.

Greg

I've looked alot at the geissele's and have read a ton of positive reviews on them, but I think I want something with a touch lighter pull than 4.5 lbs. I'm starting to lean towards the cmc's that were mentioned earlier
Geissele National match with DMR springs in it. It comes with 3 different spring and is adjustable for creep.

If I do go with a geissele it will be the National Match. I've had my eyes on it for a while. Just wanted to get some other opinions before "pulling the trigger" on one blindly.

Reactions: lash
If I do go with a geissele it will be the National Match. I've had my eyes on it for a while. Just wanted to get some other opinions before "pulling the trigger" on one blindly.

The National Match is a good trigger but I would not overlook the SSA. Is cheaper, can be found on sale and works great.

I've been able to buy a variety of Geissele triggers for 30% or more off. They've struck me as a good value. There can always be a better mousetrap. But I've not felt compelled to experiment with different brands. It sounds like there are a lot of options that people are satisfied with. But I would be surprised if Geissele doesn't have a model that would work for you. Chances are that after some more experience you want something different than what you thought you wanted initially.

Last edited:
Cmc has always been my go to, but I did have a rise armament I picked up on sale I’ve been impressed with. Shorter reset than the cmc.

Thank you everyone for all your input, it is much appreciated! Lots of options, some I wasnt even aware of. I definitely have a tough decision to make. Will post picks when I get the build done.

I have decided to go with the geissele ssa. I already had my mind pretty much made up, but I found a deal too good to pass up. PSA has the trigger and 10 30 round p-mags plus free shipping for 240$. That just sealed the deal for me!

Hey guys, in my last post I said I found a SSA on sale and decided that was the one for me. Well it turned out it was the SSA-E, such was fine with me. The 10 P-mags helped with the decision too! I'm down to just my charging handle and ill have all my parts except for a bipod and the optics. No I'm stuck trying to pick out a decent bipod. Once again there is so many to choose from, I've got myself in a daze from all the surfing between pages of different models. Any suggestions?

For the cash outlay hard to go wrong with Harris or for a little more cash an Atlas. Someone will say ckye, but I could build another upper with a decent barrel for that kind of money and I’ve never broken a Harris.

Geissele SSA-E is about 3.5 lbs

I would love to have an atlas but they're a bit out of my price range. I have been looking at Harris because I've heard so much about them over the years. I know they make a model that swivels on the vertical plane, but do they make one that pivots back and forth on the horizontal? Like from target to target?

There is also the Magpul bipod which gets good reviews.
I have the MAGPUL bipod, attached to a American Defense QD "170S" mount, and I also have the ubiquitous Harris S-BRM bipod, attached to a AD-BPP2 QD bipod base (QD attaches to pic rail). The MAGPUL bipod is nice, has that panning feature (pan sideways to next target), and is slightly taller than the Harris.

however, I found that when you're behind the gun, and discover that you need to change the bipod height (usually one-handed), for me at least, it is cumbersome and difficult to do so with the MAGPUL because the legs aren't spring-loaded. Much easier with the de-rigueur Harris S-BRM. maybe i just need more practice...

I have more uppers than bipods, so I don't dedicate the bipod to the upper, so the MAGPUL direct-attach M-LOK (or direct-attach picatinny) feature hasn't really panned out for me. I like to have a tool-less QD attachment method, so therefore the AD QD mounts for my bipods.

I would recommend getting a genuine Harris S-BRM bipod as a first bipod. It is the old stand-by. and get the bipod locking lever (e.g. from T-nuts.com).

I’ve got a Harris S-BRM that I like pretty well, but I have a tough time getting the rifle to stay in place when I put forward pressure on it. I’m new to shooting off a bipod, so there’s probably some technique that I’m missing, but the smooth feet that rotate easily also seem to be a factor. I’m looking at getting some sort of spikes to add to the Harris to help it stay put on the bench a little better.

Thanks for the info! I guess its pretty obvious this will be my first bipod. I have always just shot freehand or propped up on a fence or the hood of my truck. I have a tendency to over think things and with all that is available and prices ranging from $20 to over $450, I really didnt know where to start!

I kinda wish I would've went with a bolt gun, but I really wanted the speed of a semi auto
You just hit the nail on the head. Bolt guns are less problematic. AR's are fun to operate but multiple challenges. Toss in a can and the challenges start to pile up. My experiences with AR rifles very disappointing. To many headaches and the disposable income concept is taking on a new perspective. Enjoy the journey.

I’ve had the opposite experience. Still a bolt gun fanatic but have partaken in the AR kool aid and they sure as hell have been fun.

Reactions: CaptNemo
I’ve got a Harris S-BRM that I like pretty well, but I have a tough time getting the rifle to stay in place when I put forward pressure on it. I’m new to shooting off a bipod, so there’s probably some technique that I’m missing, but the smooth feet that rotate easily also seem to be a factor. I’m looking at getting some sort of spikes to add to the Harris to help it stay put on the bench a little better.

it helps me if there is something to stop the bipod from sliding forward so i can load it.

i've seen some suggest you shouldn't rely on bipods on hard surfaces if you are trying to shoot for tiny groups.
you might have seen that rex dude and his series on long range shooting (or maybe not).
anyway, he says that hopping of the bipod can affect accuracy and suggest sand bags off any hard surface and bipod is okay in the field or on softer ground (or when you don't want to lug around a sand bag front rest).

Reactions: LeadZeke
I’ve had the opposite experience. Still a bolt gun fanatic but have partaken in the AR kool aid and they sure as hell have been fun.

I’m in the same camp, I have more AR-15 pattern rifles than all my centerfire rifles combined.
I’ve also been an AR owner / builder since the 1990’s. I have more than a little time and effort invested in the platform.
Shoot a well built and sorted AR and you’ll be impressed.

Reactions: LeadZeke
Both can be great if they are quality. Just easier to get there in a bolt gun.

I like your SSA-E purchase. I would try the Magpul Bipod. I think it will be good for your use.

JFR

JFR
I'm pretty excited about the trigger. Just looking at it, the gap between stages is barely there. I know it'll be totally different when its installed, but juat sayin. As far as the bipod, im looking at the UTG 360. It has the panning feature in looking for. Ever hear anything bout them?

I like MBT, also. For still hunting coyotes, especially when they hold up at 300 yds, and targets out to 800yards as in OP I'd prefer the lighter weight of the SSA-E. I have not heard anything, nor know anybody with, UTG equipment.

JFR