• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Helping a new shooter

midwesthunter

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Hello all, and thanks for looking! A little bit about myself, Im a highschool student and currently shooting .22 LR with a 4-H club. For the most part id say i have natural skill in shooting, and up until now I have never had a problem, but I have had a bit of a wake up call. Last year i went to Nationals for smallbore pistol, and shooting with some of the other rifle shooters, i have a ways to go before even thinking about making it to nationals for rifle, so after browsing for a while, ive decided to post.

Right now i have the three basic positions down. To start off a match, i find my natural point of aim, get the rifle seated into my shoulder, the aim and fire as usual. Would you have any technique tips for a shooter as of myself?

Ive also started keeping a shooting book. Just wrighting down things ive down to my equipment or rifle. would you recommend making my own or purchasing the impact data book?

As im using an Anshultz rifle i don't think i have a problem there, but i have been using Federal .22 subsonic rounds, i don't think those are the best rounds to use. I'm shooting at 10 meters at an indoor range. Do you have a recommendation on a good recision ammo?

Well thanks for Reading and replying to my post,

Nathan

Re: Helping a new shooter

Best advice is to find a good small bore coach. If you can't find one, or even if you can, spend $6.95 for this book, AMU International Rifle Guide put out by the CMP/AMU

https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/c...note5=&max=

In addition to the above, check this site and see if you can find a CMP Rimfire Sporter Clinic near you. They are taught by CMP GSM Master Instructors.

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchUpcomingSearch.cgi?designation=CLINIC

While your waiting for the above International Rifle Guide, down load and study the CMP Rimfire Sporter guide.

http://www.odcmp.com/Comm/Rimfire.pdf

well, i was thinking mostly precision for this, but i totally forgot about cmp. Ill check those out, thanks!

Check out www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com for about everything Anschutz.

A shooting jacket may be in order for your style. Also, they sell RWS R50 and it is on sale through next week at under $12 per box or about $120 after shipping or tax for 10 boxes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com for about everything Anschutz.

A shooting jacket may be in order for your style. Also, they sell RWS R50 and it is on sale through next week at under $12 per box or about $120 after shipping or tax for 10 boxes. </div></div>

+1 on ISS. It would also help if we knew where you are located. There might be some one on here in your area that can help.

I think looking into the ODCMP connection will help. I came out of the CMP's (ODCMP's Precursor) Youth Smallbore process in the 1960's.

I think that employing a sling (I like the Cotton Garand military style sling) and a shooting jacket (the Cotton 'Marine Corps' style has worked well for me) can aid in your efforts at shooting from the positions. They are both what I first learned to use in the Marines, and I've never felt deprived for sticking with the designs.

For me, the upper arm padding where the sling attaches to the arm has been the most useful because it tends to reduce the effects of the pulse on sights bounce.

The elbow pads aid relaxation, which has to be useful in some way or another.

The shoulder padding is neither good nor bad with Smallbore. but can reduce fatigue from recoil with a Fullbore rifle.

Body fit should be snug, with just enough room to slide a hand up inside the chest, so breathing can be relatively natural.

The cotton construction allows the jacket to be washed, eliminating/reducing the GAPO Factor, and allows sweat to actually cool the body like Ma Nature intended.

Sprinkling water over it from a canteen can enhance the effect. Leather and Naugahyde..., no dice with that approach.

Nobody makes it to the Nationals completely on their own, and having a partner as well as a more formal coach can be very helpful. You can each take turns coaching the other; so long as you're both willing to be completely objective.

Greg

The biggest tip I can give you is to practice,practice,practice.

I preach relaxing and "follow though" as a two of the most important factors besides of course waiting for shot to be perfect.

After a while you will discover errors in your shooting form and learn what works for you. The best shooters in the world didn't get that way by just polishing and admiring their expensive guns, they put many thousands of rounds down their barrels.

Wolf match target is one of the best shooting bang for the buck 22 ammo's out there. I've heard good things about Eley club but never tried it. 1/2 moa is typical for the Wolf MT at 50Y in a good gun.

Are you sticking with 3 position,sling and irons or mounting a scope and bipod for longer range shooting?

Well thank! As of right now im shooting with a groupof shooters that are "advanced" shooters.

i do have a coach. i know he shoots well but this is my first time working with him so im sure ill learn alot from him. i am also using shooting jacket, and it has all the pads in the arm shoulder ect. Right now im also usingva glove and as for the sling its a leather sling with one loop for your arm. i have it so that i can just barely get the rifle into my shoulder so its a very solid shot. Im located ineastern SD