• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Helping WWII Vet Get The Purple Heart

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
My neighbor across the street served in the Army Air Corps in the Pacific. Loaded bombs on the aircraft. Was also involved with the Enola Gay. 3 Bronze stars and many other awards I cannot remember. Still has shrapnel in his leg at 91 years of age. His service records were destroyed in a fire in St. Louis shortly after the war. His records as well as perhaps thousands of others. I contacted my congresswoman (Kaptur D) and was put in touch with an aide who was helpful at first. After he spoke with my neighbor, he told me (the aide) that they will conduct an investigation and I am out of the loop. He was actually quite curt about it. Mr Collins, my neighbor has not heard from the politicos in just over a year now. Do any members have experience in just such an issue? I am ready to break this protocol and contact the Sec. of Defense. He's a veteran so maybe that office can help. I'm ready to pull anybody's chain. Mr. Collins is a modest man, and pious. When we have coffee, it's like talking to history book. His euphemisms are outrageous. He's not impressed by fireworks on the 4th of July, just laughs and says in his Kentucky drawl.."Son, you ain't seen nothin.." Thank you for any help or direction.

Doug

Doug, I can't offer any advice or direction. What I can say, though....is Thank You, and Thank Him too. And whatever you do accomplish, good on ya!

Check with the VFW ,American Legion or the Order of the Military Purple Heart. They can usually help or send you to the right person.

Call the local media. I bet if the news does a story on it, that investigation will wrap up very quickly.

I was medically retired for wounds received in combat. I was pinned with a purple heart but the orders got denied because the paperwork had a box checked "non-combat related" by a PA (captain) who was not fond of our section due to a little good natured brawl. My command at the battalion level enjoyed helping themselves, but not a lowly grunt. I got out and decided it was no big deal, until a couple years later. The American Legion thought it was a big deal and contacted some politicians, whom managed to get me orders and a revised dd214.

I have considered some of these options, and perhaps all may be applied in this effort. I'm still open to any and all suggestions as I may not be seeing every angle. I never served in the military, but I consider those who have worn our nations uniform, or currently wear the uniform to be of the highest caliber. There is no doubt that with the proper screws being turned, somebody will listen.

Delta4-3, to you I say welcome home, as well as to all the members who have/had the stones to serve this great nation.

Thank you all.

Doug

Well I have contacted the local congresswoman's office again, (they don't seem very enthused), the military order of the purple heart, an undersecretary at the dept. of defense, as well as a local news station. We'll see what shakes out.

Doug