• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hendsoldt Spotter 45 or Spotter 60

rommel500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
SLO,CA
I am considering one with the current EO promotion sale. For those that have used both is the H32 reticle in the 45 preferred? I know the L shape reticle in the 60 is not ideal. I know No Legs was trying to get a group together to get some built with the Gen II mildot but I think that didn't go anywhere?

For reference I own a Kowa 884 and it is outstanding but of course there is not a reticle eyepiece and likely not one on the horizon. I owned a Bushnell LMSS for a while but the glass was crap and I returned it to Bushnell.

On the other side how is service in the US with Hensoldt? Can you send it back to EO and they do the return or are you on your own?

The Reticle in the 60 is about useless to be honest,

The L Shaped Reticle is terrible, go with the H32 model

Service sucks, my version is a bit older, and can't be serviced without going back to Germany for repair. The company has changed several times so throw service out the window

The Reticle in the 60 is about useless to be honest,

The L Shaped Reticle is terrible, go with the H32 model

Service sucks, my version is a bit older, and can't be serviced without going back to Germany for repair. The company has changed several times so throw service out the window

Lowlight, thanks for the reply. That is a bummer to hear the service stinks. I know they've been sold off a few times as we buy things from their previous parent company.

Do you know if it goes back to Germany do you personally have to handle the ITAR scenario or can EO do it for the customer?

Mine needs to go back but never wasted my time because they suck

if you want service you want Swarovski, Hensoldt is the last name in service to worry about

Get the SWARO if you want something that will be supported.

Reactions: deersniper
10-4, Since I already have the Kowa I already have something in the Swaro STR format. Looking for something a little more portable/compact for field use.

You are right, I thought for sure the Hensoldt would be lighter. It may actually be a few ounces heavier... Wow!

I have almost pulled the trigger on the spotter 60 a few times. Been drooling over them for a while. I currently daily the Leupold MK4 with the mil-dot reticle. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I would have like to seen SWARO clarity out on the Hensolt but that wasn't the case. I had a chance to put them side by side at Altus last year. It was marginally better than my MK4 and really turned me off to them. Adding Lowlight's information about their service history just pretty much cured me for good. Obviously I didn't speak to your original question, just more of an offering of additional information.

I have almost pulled the trigger on the spotter 60 a few times. Been drooling over them for a while. I currently daily the Leupold MK4 with the mil-dot reticle. I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I would have like to seen SWARO clarity out on the Hensolt but that wasn't the case. I had a chance to put them side by side at Altus last year. It was marginally better than my MK4 and really turned me off to them. Adding Lowlight's information about their service history just pretty much cured me for good. Obviously I didn't speak to your original question, just more of an offering of additional information.

I'm thinking I may just stick with my Kowa... Maybe someone will come out with something else in the next year or if I hold my breath Kowa will come out with a reticle eyepiece.

I too have been eyeing the crap out of the Euro sale. Ive been running an older Razor with reticle eye piece for years. I’m always wondering how much of a difference I’ll see.

Lowlights word on warranty def made think twice.

Nope. Minox is def not in the same league as Hensoldt or Swaro. It can compete with the Mk4, though the Mk4 has a better FOV.

That’s my big negative on the Swaro STR80, the FOV is no bueno.

Thus why I’d take a Mk4 over the STR80 if you’re going to use it for matches.

Guess I’m still fortunate to have the Gen2Mildot on the Spotter 60/ 45. Though the warranty might suck, EuroOptic can help make it somewhat easier for y’all to deal with Cassidian if need be
The Hensoldt prices will only get higher... better make up your minds real quick!

Now put a reticle on the Swaro BTX, and you got yourself a winner.

But at the end of the day, I’ll easily take a Henny over all current spotters, regardless of warranty.

Last edited:
ED5F9DA2-244D-4C6B-9BC3-F58193C65185.jpeg

Hendsoldts have the best image clarity and color contrast in my opinion. Jorge has the Mil dot and I have the h32. Both good for different situations

my he purple in the bottom picture is because my phone wasn’t in the phonscope adapter, just freehanding it

3B07F19B-E752-4D49-BA2A-064471C387C0.jpeg

Reactions: blbennett1288
Another Henny lover here. I have a 45 with the H32 as well. The big thing for me is the ruggedness of the Henny. Mine was on a fully extended Feisol 3372 one day, and the wind blew it over. Right onto the ocular eye piece. Talk about a sinking feeling in your stomach, seeing it topple over, 20 feet away.

End result, a scratched housing, but a fully functioning spotter. Surprised and shocked the shit out of me. I looked into sending it in for a check up, but with a 3-4 month lead time, I've held off. I may pick up some Mk5 binos for matches, and then send the Henny back then...

A shooting partner of mine has a Spotter 45 with H32 and I am constantly blown away by the clarity and resolution. It really is on a different level than the competition.

I recall about 6 months to a year ago a guy on here had one that toppled over on a tripod and the base had parted from the body and lost purge. Henny essentially wanted him to pay new price for it to be repaired. IIRC I think he sourced someone stateside to fix the base and repurge.

• Wow
Reactions: deersniper
If you can live without the reticle, the Zeiss Harpia 95mm is a better option. It has a far greater FOV, better resolution and color. FYI, Zeiss makes the Henny spotters. The Hapia is the newest generation and the optics are improved over the Henny spotters.

EJ

Ive got a 45 and have used many others. Glass on the Alphas comes down to personal preference as they are all good. The Spotter 45 is a tank but has been very durable and the reticle is nice.
Im down to the 45 a Swaro and a Nightforce and I have convinced myself i need them all.
I haven’t had any need to get repairs but Lowlights report of shitty service is a bit concerning.
My 45 and the Nightforce have been beat around quite a bit and haven’t had any issues. Swaro is great to.
Just my opinions.