• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HENSHOLDT Spotter 45

Emouse

0A
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2009
London, U.K
A few Hide members are using these and seen them with H32 ret and the GEN2 MILDOT. Cassidian state "available with custom rets"

Anyone here ordered a custom ret or indeed seen any alternatives in the 45/60 spotters??

I believe "one shot ST" has the Spotter 45 with the H32 - he made a posting with pics - look up his threads started and you will find it. He hasn't been around much lately though. I sent him a pm recently and haven't received a reply.

He has spent a good amount of time purchasing, configuring and using some really high end stuff and has some really good insights on the upper tier optics and how well they perform.

Last edited:
I have it with the H32, I only now of one with a Gen2 reticle in it, Nathan Hunt had it and was selling it at one point.

Otherwise I have never heard of other reticles in the Spotter45 ... the Horus is the most common

AW: Bauarbeiten in der Wohnung

the Horus is the most common With the?????

"available with custom rets"

I wonder if the MSR would be one of these. If so I'm gonna need to sell a kidney soon.

Looking at the Cassidian website it indicates custom ordering of reticles. It doesn't mention what is available. EuroOptic seems to the be a source to go to find out about that specific question. I can see matching up the popular rifle scope reticles with spotting scope reticles; MSR, P4F, H2CMR, or something like that might have merit.

I am curious about the H32 illumination. I understand the Spotter 45 is normally capable of an illuminated reticle. It has a rheostat knob to control brightness. However, when I went to the Horus Vision website to look at the reticle - there was only a reference to the non-illuminated Leupold Mark. I suspect, if the H32 reticle is illuminated it is going to follow suit with other Horus reticles and only give 1 mil elevation marks. If anyone has the Spotter 45 w/H32 it would be nice to confirm if it is illuminated and if so what it looks like.

I would bet the only way "Custom Reticles" are available or more precisely, affordable, is if you're a .mil unit or .gov agency.

For those who think its open to anyone on a one off basis, you haven't been paying attention. My bet is a one off reticle order adds $1500 to $2500 to the already $4000 spotter.

But it's nice to dream.

I sent EuroOptic an e-mail asking about reticles and availability as well as what the illuminated H32 looks like. If I get a response I will post that up. I also posted a reply to their vendor thread here on the Hide.

The illumination is a thick cross at the main intersection of the heavy post (center post) and then a series of dots making a cross ... it follows the mils up / down / left and right

So a 2 mil cross and then .1 dots every mil

I have the spotter right here in front of me

Thanks much. It provides much better picture. I am in a bit of a quandary on trying to decide if the one of the Hensoldt spotters is going to be my best choice, assuming I can get one of course.

I like the idea of having the magnification of the Spotter 60 but suspect that for overall applications the Spotter 45 may be a better choice. I tracked down some of Davide's (one shot ST) posts both in English and elsewhere. He has been very helpful with providing his own experience with both Spotter 45 and Spotter 60. It would've nice hear other experiences.

Given I already have the Vortex Razor 20-60x85 with the basic reticle and the Milrad 30x WA, I am thinking the Spotter 45 might be a nice complement as a spotter. Consensus with my shooting partner here in Colorado Springs is we think the h32 has some really nice properties for calling adjustments as opposed to the mil dot "L". I am curious if some others could relate their experience with the Hensoldt be it Spotter 45 or 60 with regards to use of the different Reticles.

I got a reply back from EuroOptic - first no reticle special orders thru them - Spotter 60 is mildot "L" only and you can have it in any color you want as long as it is black. The Spotter 45 - H32 is your only choice now. That's it.

If a special reticle is available it would need to go thru someone else and who knows how many organs you will have to sell to get that one-off reticle you want. There are some other retilces; H32 on a Spotter 60, a Gen 2 mildot on a spotter 45 and a couple of Gen2 XR's. But, I have no idea what special measures were taken to obtain those. Maybe very special cases for special clients which probably means for the rest of us it isn't going to happen. If someone finds something to the contrary let me know - hopefully before buy one of these.

Last edited:
The illumination is a thick cross at the main intersection of the heavy post (center post) and then a series of dots making a cross ... it follows the mils up / down / left and right

So a 2 mil cross and then .1 dots every mil

I have the spotter right here in front of me
Does this look about right?

H32 illuminated.jpg

Cassidian-WASTE OF TIME

I would bet the only way "Custom Reticles" are available or more precisely, affordable, is if you're a .mil unit or .gov agency.

For those who think its open to anyone on a one off basis, you haven't been paying attention. My bet is a one off reticle order adds $1500 to $2500 to the already $4000 spotter.

But it's nice to dream.

Frank,...having spoken to the MSR originator and Frank Tropp at Cassidian I can relay to you that that Cassidian isn't even slightly interested in offering a sensible MIL based ret.

What I do know from lengthy (two year) discussion on this is that the setup cost is minimal: in fact as little as 7,000 EURO.

Since the first posting I have had a positive discusiion with another high end manufacturer who is interested in an MSR/MIL compatible ret in a top end tactical spotter.

We should hear more late September.

Frank,...having spoken to the MSR originator and Frank Tropp at Cassidian I can relay to you that that Cassidian isn't even slightly interested in offering a sensible MIL based ret.

What I do know from lengthy (two year) discussion on this is that the setup cost is minimal: in fact as little as 7,000 EURO.

Since the first posting I have had a positive discusiion with another high end manufacturer who is interested in an MSR/MIL compatible ret in a top end tactical spotter.

We should hear more late September.

Would be cool to see someone like Kahles step up to the plate with a spotter and a nice reticle that could equal the 45/60 performance.

After having bought/use the Spotter 60 I understand why so many recommended to spotter 45 instead. Even for a mag-whore like me, the Spotter 60 really brings everything in just a bit too tight, it would be nice to have more field of view. The optics are so good in this spotter that the magnification matters less than in a lesser spotting scope. Go with the Spotter 45 and be done with it. The only reason I will keep my 60 instead of getting a 45 is that I think the 60 may be a better spotter for hunting than the 45 but that remains to be seen.

Having used an H32 Leupy MK4 and Spotter 45, I'm curious why all the talk of different reticle...?

The H32 is a GREAT choice for a spotter.

Having used an H32 Leupy MK4 and Spotter 45, I'm curious why all the talk of different reticle...?

The H32 is a GREAT choice for a spotter.

It is,...and it is cluttered. With field of view in the 60 already narrow having the ret obscure 80% of what your looking at reduces the primary value of a spotter especially for military use. We need to not only correct fall of shot/fire but also be able to clearly observe.

I thought I'd hate the Spotter 60 reticle but it has grown on me, especially for ELR shooting where I'm mostly observing and calling adjustments vs reticle ranging.