• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

hensoldt rf reticle

wilecoyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
venice,italy
I've buyed an old Bundeswehr milsurp 8x30 Hensoldt OD rubbered bino_ inside the right ocular I can see some kind of range-finding reticle, numbered from 0 to 40 on both sides_I know nothing about that, of course_ someone can explain me how use this reticle, even if unlikely I will be in need to call an arty support , or where to find some reference to learn something about that?_ any info will be welcomed!

What is it that you don't understand? It's like a mildot reticle.

What is it that you don't understand? It's like a mildot reticle.
I don't understand how pratically employ it_ I understand that it can seems silly, but here we can't freelly practice in open spaces, I'm not a hunter, and due to the limits of our shooting stands, (max.300mt.), I've never needed nor used a mildot reticle, therefore I know nothing about that_ If you say that it's like a mildot reticle, I will be motivated to learn more about that_ Thank you very much for your answer !

hensoldt rf reticle

OK. It's pretty simple. The reticle is used to measure angles and the unit is milliradians, i.e. 1/1000 of a radian. You might know the relationship between angle, radius and length of arc when using radians but if you don't then here it is: angle = length of arc / radius of arc.

That is the background. The practical use is that you can use the reticle when spotting and say that the impact is 5 mils (miliradians) left and then the shooter adjust the fire. The scale in the binos is a bit too coarse for small targets and adjustments. Another use is range estimation.

This is the formula for calculating the distance: width in metres x 1000 / width in line = distance in metres

Calculating the target width:

width in line x distance in metres / 1000 = width in metres

It doesn't have to be meters but it's easier if you use the same unit for both target size and distance to target....