• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt scope question

jwrabbit123

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2020
HI I have been looking at the Hensoldt ZF4x16 scope , I see like 3 of them , can someone please tell me the era they are from or are they identical lens and coatings and turrets here they are . and why some are up to $5k and some in the $2k range , thanks LOU

Hensold 4x16 ZF
Ziess 4-16 ZF
Air-Bus $x16 ZF

If you check (use the search function) it seems like Frank checked one out back in 2009.

I had two (2012 - 2015) and liked them, they had the NH-1 reticle.

Good glass, but eventually sold them both.

Not the most popular, maybe due to lack of "features" (bells, whistles, and various marketing BS).

Seems like they went through some changes, EADS/Cassidian, Airbus, about 2016?

Am sure others can join in here with better details about what happened and when.

I still have one of the later scopes but with the Mil Dot reticle and locking turrets.

Wish now that I'd kept one of my earlier NH-1 scopes instead.

Reactions: BCX
A friend has two of the Henny’s.
They are excellent with REALLY nice glass.
The no zero stop kinda blows.

Unless you just really want one I would look at some more modern offerings.

I have heard that with a 20 MOA base the Hensoldt will nearly bottom out on elevation making a zero stop unnecessary.

Can anyone confirm this?

To the OP, I've noticed some scopes have locking turrets and or different reticle options that is reflected in the price.

I have heard that with a 20 MOA base the Hensoldt will nearly bottom out on elevation making a zero stop unnecessary.

Can anyone confirm this?

To the OP, I've noticed some scopes have locking turrets and or different reticle options that is reflected in the price.
I know on a 0 mount there’s not a lot of elevation available.
The one I’ve used the most has a H-37 reticle and you’ll need it for long distance.

I own them, hard pass in 2020

This sums it up nicely!

I wouldn’t buy one unless it was super cheap.

The newer 4-16 Hennys with 14.5 mil single turn turrets have zero stop. The older ones don’t. They have 22.5 mils of adjustment so a 20 mil rail will bottom them out.

thank you all for replies , I decided to look elsewhere for a new upper end MID powered optic , I do own a few PM2 scopes , onw 5-25 pf4 and a 5-45 T3 ,
I also own 2 others which I see on the Hide are not contenders anymore one being an IOR 3-18 50 and a USO b-25 H102 ,

I read everyone today here likes the ZCO and Tangent are they any better then what I own currently ?

You pick a scope based on features, not someone’s idea of good glass because glass is subjective.

what is your reasoning, that is key, are you looking to buy something just because you can, are you trying to impress someone by changing a name brand, what are you looking to do?

for me, it would be reticle first, features next, reasoning to move forward third.

HI , no not to impress anyone , I own many guns and I love good glass , and try many scopes , I like Horus reticles and I only use FFP Mil /Mil scopes , when I said good glass I kind of meant a rugged scope with very good optical quality , I am buying a new scope for a new gun not replacing my others , but for me Reticle and tracking is number 1 ,So when I said Tier 1 I kind of meant a very good quality scope , LOU

Zco is the best scope out there right in my opinion,

this is a splitting hairs thing for sure, I hate comparisons of stuff that is really near identical and only separated in many cases by a reticle choice.

many feel the TT is a great optic which it is, but it’s almost a full $1000 more expensive with the least modern reticle. That knocks it down a notch for me personally

most of the $2800 and above optics are really just a millimeter away from each other, so you buy the one that speaks to you on a personal level. That first means reticle first impression, and quickly leans on price.

if you have a 5x to X class optic with 100 MOA+ of elevation using the same reticle, say a T3 for simplicity, why debate it, the answer is the brand you are comfortable with. But if you are not looking at the same reticle across the Tier one class, you either pick your favorite brand or save the few pennies, I don’t see the reason to go a price class up for no reason. Unless we are back to brand, which has very little to do with quality at this point.

I don’t look at my rifles with a smorgasbord of optics on them and go, oh no this rifle has a NF on it, that sucks, I wish this rifle was the one with the S&B or Zco, I don’t care, they are all equally good at this level

Zco is the best scope out there right in my opinion,

this is a splitting hairs thing for sure, I hate comparisons of stuff that is really near identical and only separated in many cases by a reticle choice.

many feel the TT is a great optic which it is, but it’s almost a full $1000 more expensive with the least modern reticle. That knocks it down a notch for me personally

most of the $2800 and above optics are really just a millimeter away from each other, so you buy the one that speaks to you on a personal level. That first means reticle first impression, and quickly leans on price.

if you have a 5x to X class optic with 100 MOA+ of elevation using the same reticle, say a T3 for simplicity, why debate it, the answer is the brand you are comfortable with. But if you are not looking at the same reticle across the Tier one class, you either pick your favorite brand or save the few pennies, I don’t see the reason to go a price class up for no reason. Unless we are back to brand, which has very little to do with quality at this point.

I don’t look at my rifles with a smorgasbord of optics on them and go, oh no this rifle has a NF on it, that sucks, I wish this rifle was the one with the S&B or Zco, I don’t care, they are all equally good at this level

Can the same be said for other aspects on a rifle? Actions, Stocks, triggers, mounts, etc?

Tuning up for tuning up sake with little to be gained?

depends you need to put it in context

you can spend the same money on two completely different stocks, one can fit the shooter and enhance adjustability the other can be just an expensive hunter style with not adjustability, which is better for accuracy ?

Sure, outside of actual comfort and purpose.

Going from a Sphur mount to a RRS or diamond trigger to (name your brand). Gear swap for the sake of swapping. I’m guilty of it for sure.

If you are not adding features, like going to Spuhr for the additional mounting, vs just replacing it for a RRS is not gaining you anything

a trigger is a tick different because if you went from a trigger tech to jewel I would say you screwed up, but changing a mount for the same mount, why?

now if you were ignorant and bought a Larue mount because you wanted the QD and later replaced it with a Spuhr I think you improved the situation, but again, context matters

I Guess ok TT and ZCO are a newer breed with Reticles , and features , I have noticed threw the many decades of shooting you get alot for your money with optics up to the say $1500 dollar class ,but when you go up after , you get very little for much more money , I Really would of tried another USO , but I had such a bad experience for somewhat simple repair , About 8 months ago I bought 2 new scopes , one was the PM2 5.45 with Tremor 3 , and I got the USO B25 with H-102 , I understand anything can have an issue mechanically as I used to do Auto repair and even worked for a Mercedes Benz dealer , so even top things can need service .
Well I had a problem with both my new optics , I am not bashing any brands , as I like many brands . but while shooting in my yard with the USO I believe it was the second time I used it and I was squirrel hunting , I spotted one and raised my gun and reached for my scope cap ,and realized I didnt close it , but the optic was blocked 100% nothing but black , I was running a larue mount , I popped it off and shook it I hard it moving but it never moved to clear retivcle , I called and sent it back , I popped on my new PM2 and was shooting about a week in yard just dialing my shots , I have target spinners steel and paper out and some days I hold off and some days I dial , this day I was dialing , and I went to shoot a target and dialed , when I looked threw scope in upper right quadrant there was like a piece of a bug leg , It was not turret grease like that have had a few issues in past , so I called them and they apologized sent me a label , IN 10 days The PM2 was back in my hands perfect . I was happy ,
Well the other took 4 months and the turret was locked when I got it back , during assembly a ball brg had fallen out of its hole and it jammed up turret , and also looked like they took it apart with poor tools and scratched things and left oracular loose , I got it working and swore I wont buy another , I do like the glass and the overall quality , but to me with poor service same thing , So service is huge for me
I don't mind paying for quality but , I do want to deal with people who care about their product and be straight shooter .
so being new here this is why I am asking about scopes , I might of started thread with wrong words , thanks
LOU

If service is important, you don't Hensoldt they are tough to work on.

USO scopes are known to break often and early,

With a spec on the reticle in most cases, you can hit them with a phone book or something equally soft but solid and it will fall off and be gone for good. Sometimes things get trapped in the tubes, it happens.

Service can be a double edge sword, people used to say USO had great customer service because everyone will use it. While a different company may have a slightly different service because it's used less. The only real customer service issues that really stand out are when scopes have to be flown 1/2 around the world to repair. Most others are pretty good and pretty fast today

Lou, I don't think the TT would work for you if mounting on a PCP because of the 50Y parallax.

The Hendoldt's my bud had were fine scopes but didn't impress me for the money.

I'd personally go with the ZCO. Great blend of features and a nice .2 mil tree reticle.

thanks Lowlight for explaining it to me and if I ever get something stuck to my inner lens again LOU

Hi steve this is for my 6.5 CM build
LOU

Reactions: steve123
I currently own 2 Hensoldts 4-16x56 and they are my favorite scopes. Not real popular around here but I actually prefer it over my SB PM2 5-25x56.

First one is a Cassidian w NH-1 reticle w non locking turrets. Have used it on multiple rifles w 20moa base and nearly zeros out for me. That reticle works for me and shines at low light in a hunting type environment.

Second is the newer Airbus w H-59 reticle w locking turrets. Those turrets are the nicest i ever used. She rides on a Surgeon XL 30moa base w a Spuhr in 338 LM AI. I literally mounted the scope, elevation was perfect, 2 clicks to the left and zeroed w full use of the elevation turret.

Knock on wood, never any issues. I really believe they are built like TANKS! I wouldn't want to deal w a warranty issue.

Maybe someday i can get a ZCO or TT and compare them side by side in the field. Hensoldt works for me.

My 3-12x56 Hensoldt gets used 90% of the time, old school Gen1 mil-dots & all, on a short barreled .308, for freezer fill, yotes & steel.

My 3.5-26x56 Hensoldt barely got used (.338LM). I spent more time behind an ancient 4x Zeiss/7x57 than the .338LM/3.5-26x56.

I peeked through a 3-12x50 TT a couple weeks back - beautiful scope, but the XR was too fine for my liking. Not that I hold more than 4 mils often, but the H is holdover limited; the Gen2 mildot on the M would be about perfect for my use.

That 10yr old 3-12x56 ZF has been used & abused by me, still keeps ticking, and that 56mm obj + first gen mil-dot has become an old friend before dawn & after dusk.

CW turrets & the lack of a zero stop never bothered me, especially with a canted rail. Not that I need anything beyond a 0moa rail with a .308, having close to 15 mils of up elevation on my 3-12x56.

If anyone offered to install the @koshkin FML-TR1 reticle on my Hensoldt, I'd be cool with that. I like it better than the NH-1.

For my use, there is no compelling reason to change. If it broke, shattered, stopped clicking etc etc I'd simply replace it with an identical unit.

But then again, I also daily drive a 30yr old pickup, and change doesn't come easy to me.

Sometimes, I wish I had a little more than 12x for 100yd trotters, which is why the TT 3-15x50 appealed to me.

Us Hensoldt users need a Support Group so we can stop being shamed, & crawl out of the woodwork with our heads held high :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
My 3-12x56 Hensoldt gets used 90% of the time, old school Gen1 mil-dots & all, on a short barreled .308, for freezer fill, yotes & steel.

My 3.5-26x56 Hensoldt barely got used (.338LM). I spent more time behind an ancient 4x Zeiss/7x57 than the .338LM/3.5-26x56.

I peeked through a 3-12x50 TT a couple weeks back - beautiful scope, but the XR was too fine for my liking. Not that I hold more than 4 mils often, but the H is holdover limited; the Gen2 mildot on the M would be about perfect for my use.

That 10yr old 3-12x56 ZF has been used & abused by me, still keeps ticking, and that 56mm obj + first gen mil-dot has become an old friend before dawn & after dusk.

CW turrets & the lack of a zero stop never bothered me, especially with a canted rail. Not that I need anything beyond a 0moa rail with a .308, having close to 15 mils of up elevation on my 3-12x56.

If anyone offered to install the @koshkin FML-TR1 reticle on my Hensoldt, I'd be cool with that. I like it better than the NH-1.

For my use, there is no compelling reason to change. If it broke, shattered, stopped clicking etc etc I'd simply replace it with an identical unit.

But then again, I also daily drive a 30yr old pickup, and change doesn't come easy to me.

Sometimes, I wish I had a little more than 12x for 100yd trotters, which is why the TT 3-15x50 appealed to me.

Us Hensoldt users need a Support Group so we can stop being shamed, & crawl out of the woodwork with our heads held high :ROFLMAO:

I've compared a lot of scopes next to my 4-16x56 Hensoldt NH-1 in the early morning and dark watching for yotes crossing fields in the dark.

Nothing has topped it. It's a simple, good design and performs very well when it really matters.

The SB Ultrabight and Polar were noticeably poorer performers in this dark/low light.

I've got two 26x ZF's and they are still stellar compared to new optics. Divorced from price they are still up there in the top performers. Price considered a guy could get a nice scope and 200 lap dances and break even compared to a 26x Hensoldt. YMMV.

That NH-1 is the perfect lowlight hunting reticle.

Reactions: RealRomulus