• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Hensoldt vs. Schmidt revisited

lifebreath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
A year ago, I wrote up some initial impressions of a S&B 3-20x50 with H2CMR reticle vs Hensoldt 3-12x56 with mil-dot reticle. Since then I bought a Hensoldt 4-16 with NH-1 reticle. After having some time behind both scopes, S&B and Henny 4-16, I feel better qualified to give some real experience observations, especially since using both optics this past weekend side by side out to over 1000 yards.

Currently, the S&B 3-20x50 sits atop a GAP 308 Crusader, and the Hensoldt 4-16x56 sits atop a Short Action Customs FN SPR 6.5CR. I used the GAP/S&B setup for the Mammoth Sniper Challenge in January and had both guns out at the Rockcastle "fun shoot" in KY this past weekend.

SHORT VERSION of current opinion: Two awesome optics, but Hensoldt wins for me and my purpose.

Optical quality, build quality, tracking all equal.

Turrets - some advantage to S&B.

Size and weight - similar weight, Hensoldt more compact. I like the compactness, but I don't see any real advantage.

Eye box and ease of quickly acquiring good sight picture - advantage Hensoldt by a fair margin.

Ease of staying in scope during recoil - Hensoldt, due to forgiving eye box and FOV.

Low-light visibility - Hensoldt, due to 56mm objective.

Reticle illumination - roughly equal, but slight advantage to Schmidt.

LONGER VERSION ...

Optical quality, build quality, etc.:

Glass is truly awesome on both scopes. Close enough that probably unit to unit variation would account for one being any better than the other. In my case, the Schmidt *might* have an edge in resolution, but it's so close that in some aspects the advantage switches. I can't see the optical quality as having any real significance in comparing the two. Low light visibility and brightness is superior in the Hensoldt due to the 56mm objective, which is significant.

Both scopes are built for use - I see no clear winner.

Tracking and calibration: both scopes track dead on and are correctly calibrated. No clear winner.

Turrets: Initially, I wasn't sure I'd like the MTC turrets on the Schmidt. In fact, I considered removing the feature. They seemed harsh and clunky and difficult to move out of the MTC detent without overshooting the next .1 click if trying to dial that in. Over time, I have learned to appreciate them, and the detent has softened slightly. At the Sniper Challenge, I found the MTC to be an advantage to quickly dial my dope.

Schmidt has locking turrets and zero stop; Henny has neither. I haven't used the locking feature yet, and I don't feel the need for it. I suppose it could come in handy for someone, but for me it's a non-feature. The lack of zero stop was of some concern initially, but has not been an issue. On a 20 MOA base, the Henny zeroes at about a half turn above bottoming out, and it has 12 mils per turn. Thus, it's not easy to get lost on the turret. However, a zero stop would be desirable. The new Hensoldts coming out have zero stops. With 12 mils per turn on my 6.5CR, that gets me out to 1200 yards before needing to get into the second revolution.

Schmidt zero stop is slightly complicated to set. It allows 2 clicks below zero. I'd like 5.

The Schmidt is CCW and the Hensoldt is CW. My other scopes are CCW, and it can be confusing to move between CCW and CW as illustrated by my experience this weekend. After shooting the Schmidt for awhile, I hopped on the Henny. My son called out the dope for 350 yards and I dialed it - 1.5 mil. I was hitting low, significantly low, like 3 mils low. I started wondering if I had messed with taking the scope off and hadn't torqued it down right, so I went over to the zeroing target at 100. I made a slight adjustment, and the result was not where I expected, so I made a further adjustment, and the result was worse. At this point, I should have realized my mistake, but didn't. I checked torque on the scope ... OK. Checked the action screws ... fine. Set the rifle back up and suddenly realized my idiocy! Bottom line, I would like to have consistency with all my optics being CCW, but c'est la vie. Just need to pay attention.

Eye box and ease of getting good sight picture - THIS is the defining advantage for me, especially after using the Schmidt at the Sniper Challenge in awkward positions. The Hensoldt is simply amazingly easy to get behind and stay behind with a good sight picture. The FOV is wide and the scope body melts away, leaving only an exquisite sight picture that feels like a natural extension of your sight. It's a very forgiving scope to use in various positions.

Reticles - Schmidt offers more choices and I really like the H2CMR for dialing elevation and holding wind. However, it nearly disappears at 3X. The NH-1 is bold and easy to see, and the open center with the bottom vertical stadia coming up to the optical center is a very nice, useable feature. Both scopes have areas with .2 and .1 sub-tensions for milling, but they are implemented differently. I like the NH-1 better, but it's was hard to find. Euro Optic has them currently available.

Note: The new Hensoldt 4-16x56 has locking turrets, adjustable zero stop, a different (and appealing) mil-based reticle and 14.5 mils in one turn. I don't know if that means only one turn or more. Euro Optic has them available.

Customer service - big question mark for the Hensoldt with Cassidian ownership. I've heard negative comments. However, the dealer can be helpful in negotiating the CS minefield, or so I've heard. Schmidt & Bender USA service is outstanding by all accounts. I personally had a problem with lash in the erector assembly in my 3-20 out of the box. S&B took care of it quickly and smoothly.

Anyway, both scopes are now obsolete, since Hensoldt introduced their 3.5-26x56 and S&B has the 3-27x56, and everyone knows that more is better. Especially more expensive!

Nice review. I wouldn't say they're obsolete just because the 3.5-26 is out. It's a silly amount of money in difference between that and the 4-16.

Nice review. I wouldn't say they're obsolete just because the 3.5-26 is out. It's a silly amount of money in difference between that and the 4-16.

I was being facetious. I can't justify the price difference and really see no need for the higher magnification. 4-16 is perfect. The 20X on my Schmidt comes in handy for some viewing or milling purposes, but not for shooting, unless it's from the bench.

I totally missed the humor! The prices are nutty. I do like the eye box though. Haven't seen anything to compare.

I have to agree with you on the CW/CCW thing.. only in my case it is opposite. I have spent such an amount of time this last year behind my Hensoldt (with CW turrets) that when I got back to my NXS this last month or so I found myself initially turning (them) the wrong direction! Amazing how quickly things become second nature like that.

I have been thoroughly happy with my Hensoldt since I've bought it, hasn't been a stitch of problems or anything whatsoever to complain about. The only-one real concern I've come to have (AT ALL) with Hensoldt is regarding all the "talk" on these forums about the present/most-recently-past Customer-Service on the line. Mine hasn't shown any reason to be worried, but with so much negativity toward them since Cassidian took the reins, it's a little disheartening in the event a guy would ever need any help. Aside from that, I honestly believe these scopes deserve all the reliability & quality reputation that the best Schmidts "& otherwise" seem to be given. Bit of a shame so many guys have ditched Hensoldt in the shuffle between ownership....

In my-own "nobody" opinion, I feel Schmidt & Bender and Hensoldt are the very-top two of-all.. historically speaking as well as presently. Realistically they're the only two in that top-top tier (3-27/3.5-26) $6000+ league because they been around long enough to have the capability, the brains, the financing and the resources to pull off that-advanced of a design without going broke (regardless of sales or lack-of) ..no doubt to say "I have the biggest best one out-there" & stay on that leading-edge. Based on function though, quality and reliability of product, I don't think anyone can say a Schmidt or Henny is better than the other... they are the best of the best, the giants in the business.

Like I said originally, to me, it's a shame Hensoldt has had such bad press by Joe Public amidst the bullshit of companies changing hands.. I don't think the scope-itself, or it's function nor the design is to blame for the negativity they are getting

Does anyone know what operations are handled in their US offices? Do they only do repairs in Germany? I'm asking specifically about Cassidian, not Zeiss.

Hello everyone!
I also own a Hensoldt 4-16 and I find it just flawless - optic, mechanic, finish, size ... just amazing scope. Looks like March scopes are over everything on the market now!
My Hensoldt is mounted on a Blaser R93 .300 Win Mag Match barrel and they work just perfect together.
Before purchasing this scope I also made a comparison with S&B PMII but I decided to go with Hensoldt.

Does anyone know what operations are handled in their US offices? Do they only do repairs in Germany? I'm asking specifically about Cassidian, not Zeiss.

Euro Optics handles all Warranty Work on the Henny line now.

Thank Sweet 10 lb 5oz Baby Jesus for that. Because I gave a lot of thought to invoking a Voodoo Curse on the dumb bitch at Zeiss when mine went back for repairs 14 months ago.

Thank Sweet 10 lb 5oz Baby Jesus for that. Because I gave a lot of thought to invoking a Voodoo Curse on the dumb bitch at Zeiss when mine went back for repairs 14 months ago.

That's good to know.

I read about that. It was hilarious but only because I've been through something as boneheaded as you did on something else...

Ha ya. Nothing like them offering to replace your product with a inferior version :/