• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

here is a question .. on 7mm and any other cal ..

What load? Recommended by manual? By friend? Max according to the manual? Max loads are usually bullet specific and linked to a given COAL. Chamber pressure is, among other things, related to the available combustion chamber (free volume of the case under the bullet). Different bullet shapes are seated to different depth in the neck, even though the OAL would be the same. Recommended loads won´t necessarily become dangerous because of these minor differences, but the velocity very probably WILL differ from expectations. Take it as ballpark figures. Always start your powder weights low, work them up.

That said - if I have a tested load that I know is well below dangerous pressures in my rifle, I don´t have problems substituting different bullets of the same weight. Velocity usually ends up pretty close, accuracy differences are more a given of a different jump with substitute bullet´s shape.

Hornady book gives a single set of loading data for a series of bullets that are the same weight.

That said, my rule is, any changes means dropping the charge weight back a bit and working back up.

no is the short answer and why you see powder companies publish data for specific bullets of the same weight, same powder, different charge, different velocities, different pressure.
7mm having such a smorgasbord of bullets will have some that are close enough to the same the same load data will work. i.e. I use the same charge of RL19 for 160g partitions and accubonds, BUT one bullet prefers a Remington primer and one prefers a CCI primer.
It is best to drop down and work back up ESPECIALLY if you are near top end.

Example, I shoot both 155 scenars and match kings. With the scenars I can go to 49gr safely, with the match king I go as high as 50.1 before getting too hot. The difference, bearing surface. They both preferm well but the match king is a little faster and more forgiving. All other factors are the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

2013 buck Rem700 7mmRM Shilen Bansner Leupold CDS Harris S Limbsaver.jpg

In 7mm Rem Mag I typically run between 9 and 11 gr more powder than the published loads.
I get there by working up to a loose primer pocket or stiff bolt, and then backing off 2 gr.
Like I would with any wildcat.

thanks for the info guys ...

I have a 7mm-08 and while I prefer amax's they are a non-issue these days so looking for a
162gn I can use to develop a load with yet still use my (few) amax's in..

hornady makes a couple of other 162 7mm's I was thinking of substituting .. and yes I always
drop a couple of grains on any change to a load ..

I guess if I was one of the 308 crowd it wouldn't be a prob but I walk a different path :)

thanks ....